Albums of 2023

Miguel Sanchez

Basque Country punksters Belako have gone a bit poppier in their new album, I think the record company have been a bit more generous with their time and money.   It’s still somewhere between Goat Girl and the Killers, with a hard left political bent.  It’s called Sigo Regando, but it’s sung mostly in English.  One of my favourite international releases in a while.  

Posthumous release of Mark Linkous AKA Sparklehorse's final work.

Incredibly thankful that Mark's family decided to give this masterpiece to the world.

As good as anything Sparklehorse ever done. Absolutely beautiful and confirmation of it were ever needed that a genius was taken from us far too soon.

IMG_20230914_115348.jpg

It’s going to take something very, very special indeed to knock the new Will Johnson “No Ordinary Crown” from the number one spot in my end of year.  It’s somewhere between Centro-matic, Drive By Truckers, Songs: Ohia and good Lambchop.  Genuinely spellbinding.  

Edited by Savage Henry

On 19/09/2023 at 14:59, Craig fae the Vale said:

Laugh Track, the surprise album that The National released yesterday is absolutely stunning. Hoping for a good few tracks from it on Sunday at the Hydro.

Listened to it on repeat on the way home from Aberdeen on Wednesday, it got better the more I listened. the title track with Phoebe Bridgers was my stand out so far (similar to the Taylor swift track on Frankenstein) 

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Listened to it on repeat on the way home from Aberdeen on Wednesday, it got better the more I listened. the title track with Phoebe Bridgers was my stand out so far (similar to the Taylor swift track on Frankenstein) 

They're my favourites from the two albums as well. Impeccable taste sir.

On 19/09/2023 at 01:01, Savage Henry said:

It’s going to take something very, very special indeed to knock the new Will Johnson “No Ordinary Crown” from the number one spot in my end of year.  It’s somewhere between Centro-matic, Drive By Truckers, Songs: Ohia and good Lambchop.  Genuinely spellbinding.  

That write up got me streaming it, cheers. I'll report back.

6 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Have the physicals hit yet mate? There’s a Sufjan listening party at my local shop next week so I can pick up both if it has. 

Here in the States you should I have pasted below.

· 

Today, Teenage Fanclub are excited to release their new album Nothing Lasts Forever! 🎉
This is the band's eleventh full-length studio album and follows 2021’s Endless Arcade. Stream wherever you get your music, or pick up a physical copy, all here: lnk.to/NothingLastsForeverTFC

25 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Just remembered hearing about this on radio here. https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66869095

Yeah, I saw that; poor bugger. Really glad I caught him on the Carrie & Lowell tour; he didn't like touring much anyway so he may well call that a day now, with obviously very good reason. 

On 25/08/2023 at 21:31, Craig fae the Vale said:

The Spanish Love Songs album is absolutely superb. I've listened to it twice through already.

Agree with this. Cracking album. 

New Gaslight Anthem and Menzingers albums to look forward to this month. I've liked all of the the songs released on both so far, so fingers crossed the rest of the songs are good.