Kelty v Queens

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

... I queried the suggestion that he's "out of position" considering, certainly at any remotely senior level, he has seldom played anywhere else.

Nobody's querying his historical "position" though.  The fact that he hasn't been used further forwards doesn't preclude trying him there now - on the  basis of his observed forward facing talent.  That's all that's being said here.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be clear, I never actually said right wing back was his best position. I queried, given he doesn't live in Dumfries and presumably doesn't see much of the youths / reserves, what knowledge rjc had of his "best position" to be criticising successive managers for playing him out of it, one of whom is the boy's actual father! Turns out it was none at all. 🙄

I've not seen all that much of his youth career either but he certainly wasn't thrown into wing back out of the blue in the first team. He was definitely playing it for the Reserves this season and last and I think generally for the 18's he played either right wing back or right wing depending what formation they used. I completely agree that his defending needs work and it's been obvious a couple of sides, Dunfermline and Falkirk in particular, have focussed on that. If people want to say he's not good enough to play it or we should be playing a back four instead they are free to do so. I queried the suggestion that he's "out of position" considering, certainly at any remotely senior level, he has seldom played anywhere else.

I surely don’t have to come to youth/reserve matches to have an opinion on a player’s most natural position? You say that I have no “knowledge of his best position” - I have seen nearly every minute of his first team appearances this season and most of these have been at RWB which I think gives me more than enough “game time” to form a view.

Performing at youth/reserve level is a totally different proposition to first team level. As you step up, positional weaknesses tend to be exploited a lot more readily - that’s what I am seeing certainly but I don’t like back 3s anyway unless you have two energetic, athletic, marauding wingbacks which we don’t unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be clear, I never actually said right wing back was his best position. I queried, given he doesn't live in Dumfries and presumably doesn't see much of the youths / reserves, what knowledge rjc had of his "best position" to be criticising successive managers for playing him out of it, one of whom is the boy's actual father! Turns out it was none at all. 🙄

I've not seen all that much of his youth career either but he certainly wasn't thrown into wing back out of the blue in the first team. He was definitely playing it for the Reserves this season and last and I think generally for the 18's he played either right wing back or right wing depending what formation they used. I completely agree that his defending needs work and it's been obvious a couple of sides, Dunfermline and Falkirk in particular, have focussed on that. If people want to say he's not good enough to play it or we should be playing a back four instead they are free to do so. I queried the suggestion that he's "out of position" considering, certainly at any remotely senior level, he has seldom played anywhere else.

Lewis has rarely, if ever, played at wing back prior to playing for the first team. 

Edited by Mulberryblue

14 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Lewis is a winger. Who was shoe horned into the wing back position. 

Good wee player from what I can remember from his youth days. I’m sure he won’t have any issues playing as a wing back. All about learning and getting experience and who better than learning and getting advice from his dad. 
His mum will be loving all this attention I’d imagine.