Kelty v Queens

13 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Once he clears out all the dross that Wullie signed up then it might.  
Away end will be busier than the home one next week though.

Have the 5 Bartley signing made us better .

We are supposed to be fitter 

We are better coached. 

The answer is NO to all that .

Bartley talks very well but have not seen any improvement. 

Will give him the benefit for now but in the summer after a  clearout there has to be a massive improvement in what will be his squad. 

Just now, Greenacres said:

Have the 5 Bartley signing made us better .

We are supposed to be fitter 

We are better coached. 

The answer is NO to all that .

Bartley talks very well but have not seen any improvement. 

Will give him the benefit for now but in the summer after a  clearout there has to be a massive improvement in what will be his squad. 

I agree that Bartley has proved absolutely nothing but I refuse to judge him too harshly until he gets rid of all these boys who are either (1) never going to be good enough to play professional football or (2) incapable of staying fit for any sustained period of time.

Was not expecting that today but absolutely superb second half after a tight first , thought with  Lyon back in mid field we looked comfortable but 3 goals with only 3 or 4 shots on target was brilliant as we usually are getting double that on target n scoring 1 well done Kelty 

We all knew that "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" and achieving a decent mid-table finish was a long shot.  Bartley's task now is to somehow keep us above Clyde/Peterhead by the end of the season.  The real measure of what he can do was always going to be the squad re-build over the summer.  The home gates are going to fall away badly now - fair play to those who do attend.

On 16/02/2023 at 14:26, Otis Blue said:

Looking at Saturday's fixtures, this is a key opportunity for Queens (and for Kelty tbf).  Airdrie and Alloa have tough away fixtures at the top two (and could well drop points) and Montrose and Edinburgh play each other (can't both win obviously).  So a win could make up some ground in the mid-table battle ... there, I've well and truly jinxed this now ... apologies in advance!

Nostradamus is alive and well and supports Queens. Apology accepted!

I think we can now all put our abacuses away for this season.

1 minute ago, Riviera711 said:

Nostradamus is alive and well and supports Queens. Apology accepted!

I think we can now all put our abacuses away for this season.

Aye, 100% right.  As soon as I typed my OP I knew straight away it was a bad move ... I'm so guilty!

First visit to Kelty, and what a miserable experience that was. A cold, wet day and the football on offer was dismal to say the least.

We actually started ok, pressing quite well and generally having the edge in the first 45 minutes, albeit with only one meaningful chance to show for our efforts: the Kelty keeper making a decent save from Kabia after a good cross from Lewis Gibson. Apart from that, we created very little, with almost no discernible quality or creativity in evidence in the final third.

19QOS19’s pre match assessment of Murray as a ghost seemed generous though, as it’s unlikely that Jacob Marley would have been quite so ineffective in the first half. Possession was invariably surrendered when Murray received the ball. I was amazed to see Murray stay on during the first raft of substitutions, although with a few (arguable) exceptions it was hard to make much of a case for many of the starting XI remaining on the field as the match progressed. I thought Todd and Cochrane did ok, but that was about the extent of the positives. Brydon started quite well, looking strong and combative in the first period, but had a poor second half. I think there’s a player in there though. The new keeper is certainly vocal enough and has a presence about him, but hard to judge him on this match, as he didn’t have a lot to do other than pick the ball out of the net 3 times.

The second half was one of the most dismal performances I’ve seen from a Queens team…..well, since the opening match debacle against Clyde. Despite few, if any, of the starting eleven excelling, the substitutions actually managed to weaken the team, attesting to the utter paucity of talent available in our large but incredibly shallow squad.

I wish Bartley well, but he really has a job on his hands. I’ve seen many poor Queens teams over the years, but even the worst of them tended to have one or two redeeming qualities and one or two stand out individuals. I can’t think of a single player in the current squad that I regard as being anything more than a bog standard journeyman, at best. I know there are those that sing Paton’s praises, but he couldn’t lace the boots of our best strikers over the years. Lewis Gibson has potential, and may well achieve something in the game, even if he didn’t have his best game today, but there are few others that you can imagine ever cutting it at a higher level.

It really is an absolute disgrace that a full time team are sitting (deservedly) fourth bottom (just above third bottom on goal difference) of the first division more than two thirds of the way through the season. We need a massive clear out of the dross in the summer, as this squad has more dead wood than a petrified forest. 

Edited by Frankie S

23 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Bartley's task now is to somehow keep us above Clyde/Peterhead by the end of the season.  

It's hardly a question of "somehow".  I'm confident that if we didn't take another point, we'd remain above that pair.

We're not getting relegated, but it's galling that at this level, we can't even get a sniff of promotion via the play-offs.

Guys the fault lies with this useless bunch of lazy, weak talentless players not Marvin. 
I’m sure that he will be a very successful manager and be great for us once he can build his team. 
Up until today we looked fitter, sharper and more motivated under Marv. 
The problem is the dross that the hapless Gibson signed. I reckon out of his 14 signings only Wilson was decent, if injury prone. 
We actually knocked the ball about and we’re in control until the pen. Then our usual defensive frailties struck and we got what we deserved . Nothing. Kelty stepped up a gear and we couldn’t handle Cardle. Mr B has do one the right thing in jettisoning Relly (legs gone), Quitongo  (signed the wrong brother) and McKenna ( nompoditiobsl sebse and one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen at Palmy). If they want to get militant and encourage the others to lay down tools good luck to them. The Board need to be strong and support Marvin in a big summer clear out. Our attitude was poor, won no second balls and only Dobrowski, Brydon, Cochrane and Paton got pass marks. 

To be honest if we had the chance only players I would retain ( assuming we could entice loans to stay would be Dobrowski, Brydon, Gibson, Paton, Cochrane and possibly Connolly and Kabia. The rest should never play pro football again. 
I will be at Palmerston next Saturday and it will be a hard shift. For once Jm in the camp of Bartley and the Board. These players have given us nothing this season and need to shape up or ship out. Better times ahead but sadly not until Bartley can rid himself of Gibson’s mess