The 'How To Take Years Off Your Life' thread

19 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I heard somewhere that lungs could shake off years of smoking and recover.

Lungs can't recover, but they can stay at whatever level of shiteness they are at currently without deteriorating.

27 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

They can’t self heal like the liver can, you can donate 1/2 of your liver to someone and then it will grow to a full liver in both of you. Lungs can’t self heal and it’s why lung cancer is so grim. Someone can give up smoking at 40 after years of abuse and catch lung cancer down the line but a major pish pot who quits drinking at 40 will not suffer liver failure after years of sobriety unless something else badly effects the liver. 

39 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

If you stop early enough, a lot of the physical effects of smoking i.e. getting out of breath easily, coughing etc can be improved, but if someone was to examine your lungs they would be able to tell that you have been a smoker. The lungs do have the ability to clean themselves, but they do not "regenerate" to pre-smoking state. 

If you were to be diagnosed with something like COPD through smoking, that would not go away if you were to stop smoking. However, it would not get any worse if you stopped smoking.

In short, smoking is a fucking stupid thing to do and will f**k your lungs right up. Don't do it.

Edited by Richey Edwards

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

They can’t self heal like the liver can, you can donate 1/2 of your liver to someone and then it will grow to a full liver in both of you. Lungs can’t self heal and it’s why lung cancer is so grim. Someone can give up smoking at 40 after years of abuse and catch lung cancer down the line but a major pish pot who quits drinking at 40 will not suffer liver failure after years of sobriety unless something else badly effects the liver. 

Does it not depend on the damage?

Fairly sure that lungs can more or less clean out tarry stuff, but if you’ve had emphysema or something they won’t grow back. 

Also if your liver starts that turning into fat thing (can never remember if it’s cirrhosis or sclerosis) that’s irreversible isn’t it?

I’m most concerned about damaging my mind really.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Fairly sure that lungs can more or less clean out tarry stuff, but if you’ve had emphysema or something they won’t grow back. 

Also if your liver starts that turning into fat thing (can never remember if it’s cirrhosis or sclerosis) that’s irreversible isn’t it?

Cirrhosis is scarring of the liver which causes it to lose it's function. Steatosis is the fatty liver thing.

Plus side: don't smoke, moderate drinker, mother's side of the family fairly long lived, occasional exercise 

Negative side: obesity, mercury fillings, sedentary life style, single man, probably got BSE in the 1980s from dodgy pies at the football 

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

Plus side: don't smoke, moderate drinker, mother's side of the family fairly long lived, occasional exercise 

Negative side: obesity, mercury fillings, sedentary life style, single man, probably got BSE in the 1980s from dodgy pies at the football 

I used to think it caused cows to punch people in the head.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

As a Dons' fan it's probably too late for that

My dad was in hospital a few years ago (heart problems due to many decades of smoking) and the guy in the bed next to him had end stage liver disease - he genuinely looked horrifying, wasting away, yellow skin.  Like a living corpse.

Louis Theroux did a documentary about alcoholics and one of them was going into hospital to get fluid drained from his abdomen, utter grim looking.

Of course, you can drink moderately and be fine, there are even some indications that very moderate drinkers are healthier than abstainers.  No such thing as moderate smoking though - unless you smoke one a month or something like that but even then that's harmful.