Spain (a) in October

6 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

This is what I'd go with. Torn between Dykes and Adams, I think Dykes weaknesses as an out ball are less pronounced against a team like Spain than they are v Norway where they really prevented us getting into the game much, and his defensive contribution especially on Rodri and physical presence is massive.

Tempted by the 4-5-1 with Gilmour in for Cooper but there's a reason Gilmour doesn't tend to start Brighton's games against the bigger teams when De Zerbi thinks they'll have less of the ball.

I don't think there's really a question of Gilmour not playing, is there?

Nothing to be scared of tonight, would much rather be in our position than be in Spain’s. 

As mentioned, hopefully we get the result to get the job done tonight. But a narrow defeat if not. Top spot must be the priority at this stage, not just qualification

8 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

I don't think there's really a question of Gilmour not playing, is there?

I don't know. I reckon that right now there's probably six players who will always start if fit with the other five places up for grabs depending on form and tactics. I think Gilmour will probably make that seven by the time the Euros roll around, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he starts on the bench tonight. I hope he plays, mind.

Those six:

Gunn, Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, McGregor, McGinn

52 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

A flat 5 at the back without Tierney's energy to push into midfield is just inviting pressure

You need guys that can push up and win the ball back high up otherwise it's backs to the walls and could be a pumping

4 atb also allows us to play all of our midfielders plus Christie, who I think has to play when we are without the ball for long periods. No one presses like him

Porteous can press into midfield on the other side easily enough. He's not on the same level as Tierney but he has the confidence to step forward.

Edited by craigkillie

26 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

I don't know. I reckon that right now there's probably six players who will always start if fit with the other five places up for grabs depending on form and tactics. I think Gilmour will probably make that seven by the time the Euros roll around, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he starts on the bench tonight. I hope he plays, mind.

Those six:

Gunn, Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, McGregor, McGinn

McTominay?

For anyone who hasn't seen Clarke's press conference, doesn't give anything away regarding changing the formation even when asked about it. No fitness/injury issues around the 23 players who have travelled. The sound is a little quiet, but you can hear what he is saying even if you can't always hear the questions.

Edited by 2426255

36 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

For anyone who hasn't seen Clarke's press conference, doesn't give anything away regarding changing the formation even when asked about it. No fitness/injury issues around the 23 players who have travelled. The sound is a little quiet, but you can hear what he is saying even if you can't always hear the questions.

Love how he dissed the Spanish guy at the end trying to get a rise out of Rodri’s comments from March🤣

#InStevieWeTrust

I wasn't scared last time and despite having, since getting it up them at Hampden, sort of resigned myself that this would be a revenge hounding I actually am getting the pre Hampden "nothing to fear" feeling back. 

I'm worried about the threat down their right. Porro looks a threat from full back for crosses and was at Hampden until he lost his head a bit. He will have Morata to hit tonight. He needs to be wound up at the earliest opportunity. 

Stupid night to have parents evening. Got my daughter to have a sly chat with the teacher to make sure it didn't clash with the game. 

Anyway, I'm also swinging between getting a complete an utter pasting and optimistically shitefesting a draw. I do think they are there to be wound up if we're clever about it. They seem to be a bit hot headed. 

1-1. Job done and on to Lille for the reserves to get a run out.