Spain (a) in October

8 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Screenshot_20231013_000100_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b14393b26bb99fc8fbc9295117c1e320.jpg

VAR 😂

Edit: that genuinely looks like they're using the goalkeeper as the last defender??????? Am i missing something?

My eyes might be playing tricks on me or im being heated/daft but is there a line taken from the goal line to whatever that wee blue line is? No clue what the shaded area is meant to be.

Waitwaitwait im having neuron activation; the blue line is the last defender so if theres any Scotland player with a part they can score a legit goal from in it, its offside?

Dont like it at all, surely you need two lines, one for the last defender and one for the scorer if you're going to use this pish?

The last defender is the blue line. The shaded area is anything beyond that.

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Sorry, but having seen the highlights I'm unsure what all the complaining is about? Player in an offside position gets involved in active play by interfering with the goalkeeper, goal correctly ruled out for offside. Referee points in the direction of the free kick - however we don't see him put his hand up for an IDFK so we don't know if it was for offside or not.

Is that it?

The confusion is because the referee definitely did make an initial signal of a direct free-kick (which could just be an error, of course), then the control room told the commentators it was for a foul, it was displayed on the screen in the stadium that it was a foul, and the broadcast graphics said it was a foul.

It's hardly surprising that people will get worked up about that, because it absolutely wasn't a foul. Even if the right decision was reached at the time, and for the right reason, it's an example of how the communication around VAR is consistently dreadful.

Edited by craigkillie

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is pretty much the perfect angle. I accept it doesnt show McTominay actually kicking the ball, I'm trusting its the right image though as his body position looks right and its the one they used for VAR. Its tight but he's offside. And if he's offside he's 100% interfering.

None if which matters of course if it was given as a foul. If it waa given as offside and they screwed up the comms then I think its a correct decision.

Screenshot_20231012_234507_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm not trying to pile on or anything but I'm baffled that you can say that the above is "pretty much a perfect angle" when it is above the goalline and so not actually in line with the last defender (ignoring the fact it doesn't show McTominay's feet so we can't see when the ball is struck as they'll have used a tight angle for that). Especially since you said the other angle posted earlier was about a yard out when it looked a lot more in line with the players than this.

Anyway, what this angle does show however is that he is not in the goalkeeper's eyeline when the ball is struck and isn't interfering with him at all - when you watch the video rather than a still it certainly looks like any slight contact was after the ball was passed him.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm not trying to pile on or anything but I'm baffled that you can say that the above is "pretty much a perfect angle" when it is above the goalline and so not actually in line with the last defender (ignoring the fact it doesn't show McTominay's feet so we can't see when the ball is struck as they'll have used a tight angle for that). Especially since you said the other angle posted earlier was about a yard out when it looked a lot more in line with the players than this.

Anyway, what this angle does show however is that he is not in the goalkeeper's eyeline when the ball is struck and isn't interfering with him at all - when you watch the video rather than a still it certainly looks like any slight contact was after the ball was passed him.

He doesn't have to be in the goalkeeper's eyeline at the moment the ball is struck. If he is an offside position and then subsequently moves into the goalkeeper's eyeline at any point during that phase of play, then it is still an offside offence.

VAR is complete horseshit, settling down now i think theyve maybe decided it was a foul on the keeper first and gave that as the final decision? But then offside takes primacy or something like some BODMAS shit? So its... a clusterfuck, is what it is.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

McGinn said that the referee told him at the time that it was disallowed for a foul rather than for offside. Is everyone missing that?

Did he? All I've heard him say was that 'he changed it in game' which could just be what we all saw/heard - that he signalled for a foul and it was on the big screen as a foul. Then later found out it was offside.

That's very different from the referee actually telling him he gave a foul, but I've not seen him actually say that anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Did he? All I've heard him say was that 'he changed it in game' which could just be what we all saw/heard - that he signalled for a foul and it was on the big screen as a foul. Then later found out it was offside.

That's very different from the referee actually telling him he gave a foul, but I've not seen him actually say that anywhere.

Might have needled away at him about why it wasnt given for a while and the ref tried to clarify it in game to defuse some frustration (might make sense as McTominay was visibly pissed off)

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The other photo is also far too low to get any proper perspective. I'm not convinced its 'more in line with the players' than this. Its about the same extent removed. But the existence of a higher angle and clear lines aliows for a line to be drawn on it. The other one doesnt.

This thread does prove that an awful lot of very experienced football fans have no idea what constitutes interfering with play. People can (rightly) get up in arms about the communications here if it was given for offside, and they can get rightly apopleptic if it was given for a foul. They can even argue its not offside if they want. There really isnt any debate that he's interfering with play though if he is offside. 

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He doesn't have to be in the goalkeeper's eyeline at the moment the ball is struck. If he is an offside position and then subsequently moves into the goalkeeper's eyeline at any point during that phase of play, then it is still an offside offence.

Interfering by challenging for the ball, nope.

Interfering my attempting to play the ball,nope

Interfering by clearly obstructing his line of vision, nope.

Which leaves interfering by making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball.  That's subjective but I'd 100% say nothing Hendry does impacts Simon in any meaningful way

9 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

McGinn said that the referee told him at the time that it was disallowed for a foul rather than for offside. Is everyone missing that?

McGinn also claiming Adams incident was a stonewaller which as he said..VAR didnt dwell over.

3 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Interfering by challenging for the ball, nope.

Interfering my attempting to play the ball,nope

Interfering by clearly obstructing his line of vision, nope.

Which leaves interfering by making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball.  That's subjective but I'd 100% say nothing Hendry does impacts Simon in any meaningful way

You don't think he was obstructing the goalkeeper's line of vision at the point where he is literally right next to him and making contact with him?

Just now, craigkillie said:

You don't think he was obstructing the goalkeeper's line of vision at the point where he is literally right next to him and making contact with him?

he’s to his left. To be charitable, the ball is coming from straight ahead, but really it’s coming from his right. In what world is he obstructing his view? 

1 minute ago, bleedingums said:

he’s to his left. To be charitable, the ball is coming from straight ahead, but really it’s coming from his right. In what world is he obstructing his view? 

He's basically standing right on top of him at one point, a person standing about 1cm from you is going to be in your line of vision whether they are directly in front of you or a bit to the side.

Just now, craigkillie said:

He's basically standing right on top of him at one point, a person standing about 1cm from you is going to be in your line of vision whether they are directly in front of you or a bit to the side.

Are you saying the keeper had blinders on like a horse? This is getting ridiculous. Hendry was stood next to him at all times and there is plenty of scope for him to see where the ball is coming from.

Just now, bleedingums said:

Are you saying the keeper had blinders on like a horse? This is getting ridiculous. Hendry was stood next to him at all times and there is plenty of scope for him to see where the ball is coming from.

And again, all of this is secondary to the fact that they ruled it as a foul in the first place…