Spain (a) in October

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The ball is in the net before the keeper has a fucking clue what's gone on. He doesn't even try and push Hendry out the way, just stands there and watches the ball fly by him, but you want me to believe that if Hendry is step further back he's coming out and punching or clawing that away? Give us peace man. 

You'd prefer to believe the ball went so fast he simply couldn't see it? Do you appreciate how narrow the target is from that angle? It didn't massively drop at the back post like a cross, it had a pretty flat trajectory. If he can reach his bar then he can reach that ball if Hendry's not there. Whether he would or wouldn't have saved it is irrelevant, he was prevented from having a chance to do so by an offside attacker.

If Hendry had been a step further back he'd still have likely got in his way but it wouldn't have mattered because he'd have been onside anyway.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Also why do people keep saying he made the wrong hand signal? John McGinn has already confirmed that the ref gave a foul and then later changed it to offside when asked again. Stop making excuses for a ref who was clearly out of his depth last night.

From John McGinn's quotes, it's not clear he's basing that on anything other than the same stuff we all saw. He's not said the ref actually told anyone that, it could easily just be from what they've seen on the screen.

"The referee decides it's a foul. During the game he changes his mind to say it's an offside. Not sure how clear that is. That's the thing that stings really. We get the big moment, we score. Jack's right leg is offside, but it's very, very harsh"

We really need to see how the referee is signalling when he actually blows the whistle for the restart, that would be very useful in helping to clear it up.

Edited by craigkillie

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Also why do people keep saying he made the wrong hand signal? John McGinn has already confirmed that the ref gave a foul and then later changed it to offside when asked again. Stop making excuses for a ref who was clearly out of his depth last night.

The contrarians and pedants need their fix

9 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Screenshot_20231013_000100_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b14393b26bb99fc8fbc9295117c1e320.jpg

Has the line even been taken from the right place for Morata? 

It looks like it has been taken from his foot, but any clearer image from straight behind McTominay shows him leaning goalward. Surely this would mean that there should be a vertical line coming down from Morata's sleeve line to determine whether or not Hendry is offisde?

It all seems a bit of a farce and they've used offside as an excuse that they've had a shocker. Everything indicated to the ref giving a free kick and not offside at the time. 

31 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Objectively we want Norway v Spain to be a draw. That would mean we’ve qualified but would put the group win back into our own hands. 

This.

I was surprised at the number of people wanting a Spain win on Sunday after the final whistle. We're just as qualified with a draw but the group's in our own hands again. If Spain win it's near certain we're finishing runners up. A draw is the perfect result on Sunday. Otherwise...........

- A Spain win qualifies us but almost certainly as a runners up regardless of what we do in the last two games.

- A Norway win means we need to go to Georgia and get something to avoid either having having to avoid defeat to Norway or outscoring Spain by seven goals over the last two games (which isn't happening in a month of sundays when their two are against Cyprus and Georgia). BUT it does allow us to win the group with 4 points from 6 so it has some advantages.

The daft second goal last night hurts us because holding on for the 1-0 loss would have given us the tiebreak with Spain and meant winning the group was in our own hands.

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Continuing to debate this to the end of time isn’t good for mine or anyone else’s mental health. Sadly we’ve lost. Let’s hope for the grubbiest 0-0 draw in Oslo on Sunday with multiple red cards. 

This! A draw in Oslo and everything is golden again.

Gutted for the lads last night & it’s unlikely McTominay will score another goal of that quality in such an important game again so I’m especially sick for him. 

I don't think there's necessarily a truly terrible result that can happen on Sunday.  As probably said a million times now, a Spain win is good as it ensures qualification without us needing to kick a ball again.  However, it makes actually winning the group pretty much impossible barring a crazy set of results in the last window.  A draw is probably best-case, as it means we qualify, and stand a decent chance of winning the group if we can win our final two games.  A Norway win probably is the worst case, as we won't have secured qualification, but if we can't go to Georgia - regardless of history - and get a win, then we've got bigger problems.  That scenario also opens up the top spot in the group should we get 4 points from the final two games.

As for the game itself, I think we can be pretty proud of the performance, albeit scunnered by the result.  We're undone by their first goal, but that's just one minor lapse in concentration ruthlessly exploited.  Their second is just one of those things, and on most other days, Hickey doesn't slip.  On some of them he does, but Porteous gets a better bounce of the ball.  But goals change games, and it's hard to look at the farce around McTominay's goal and not think things would've been a lot different.  Ultimately it doesn't matter, and not worth getting worked up over, but if the decision isn't dreadful, the process around it certainly was.  

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You'd prefer to believe the ball went so fast he simply couldn't see it? Do you appreciate how narrow the target is from that angle? It didn't massively drop at the back post like a cross, it had a pretty flat trajectory. If he can reach his bar then he can reach that ball if Hendry's not there. Whether he would or wouldn't have saved it is irrelevant, he was prevented from having a chance to do so by an offside attacker.

If Hendry had been a step further back he'd still have likely got in his way but it wouldn't have mattered because he'd have been onside anyway.

No, I believe he can see it, I just don't think he can do anything about it. Why doesn't he push Hendry out the way? He makes zero attempt at saving the ball and if Hendry is stopping him moving then I'm not sure a contact sport is ideal for him.

Fucking hell. Can we stop debating the offside? It's obvious he gave a foul and fucked up. 

I'm more concerned about Robbo and also about how shite we were in possession. It doesn't look like he'll be back for the next games as by the looks of it he's either dislocated his shoulder or broken his collar bone. 

Edited by velo army

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

Fucking hell. Can we stop debating the offside? It's obvious he gave a foul and fucked up. 

I'm more concerned about Robbo and also about how shite we were in possession. It doesn't look like he'll be back for the next games as by the looks of it he's either dislocated his shoulder or broken his collar bone. 

I don't expect it to matter, but being without him and Tierney for two games we should look to win will be tricky. With us hopefully looking to continue momentum into the Euros, you could look at it as either an opportunity to experiment with plan B. 

Honestly think I'd take a Norway win over a Spain one on Sunday. I know we want to just get it over the line but f**k it, we can absolutely get a win in Georgia and we should be able to hold our own back at Hampden too. Those 5 wins have earned us the right not be be shitebags about this.

(Ideal result would still be a draw obviously)

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

5 minutes ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Honestly think I'd take a Norway win over a Spain one on Sunday. I know we want to just get it over the line but f**k it, we can absolutely get a win in Georgia and we should be able to hold our own back at Hampden too. Those 5 wins have earned us the right not be be shitebags about this.

(Ideal result would still be a draw obviously)

This has probably been answered, but does winning the group have a bearing on what happens at the finals?

Edited by jimbaxters