Spain (a) in October

Ranking of Scotland managers of the 21st century (excluding those who started in the 90s)

1. Steve Clarke 

2. Alex McLeish (Good first spell and his second spell included the NL group win that helped us qualify for the euros)

3. Walter Smith (Arguably would have been ahead of McLeish if McLeish hadn’t come back)

4. Gordon Strachan (A few decent results, but ultimately not good enough)

5. Craig Levein (People criticise the 4-6-0 but that was actually a half decent campaign. It’s the next one that done for him).

6. Berti Vogts (Horrendous)

5000001. George Burley

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Ranking of Scotland managers of the 21st century (excluding those who started in the 90s)

1. Steve Clarke 

2. Alex McLeish (Good first spell and his second spell included the NL group win that helped us qualify for the euros)

3. Walter Smith (Arguably would have been ahead of McLeish if McLeish hadn’t come back)

4. Gordon Strachan (A few decent results, but ultimately not good enough)

5. Craig Levein (People criticise the 4-6-0 but that was actually a half decent campaign. It’s the next one that done for him).

6. Berti Vogts (Horrendous)

5000001. George Burley

Tommy Burns? 

Malky Mackay? 

Due to McLeish's second spell where it was pretty clear he had diminished in capacity, would put split his spells - second spell falls below Strachan. 

56 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously referees don't intentionally cheat and it's tinfoil hat stuff to think they do,

Generally speaking I absolutely agree with this overall but it’s worth bearing in mind that this ref was subject to match-fixing investigations in 2015. Not only do some refs cheat occasionally, this one has been suspected of being one that does previously. 

Strachan above Smith for me. Smith never had a full campaign so it would be unfair to elevate him above longer serving managers.

Strachan had us unbeaten over a calendar year. Watty had a great result against France, but we rode our luck hugely in that game.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

We don't know what they said though.

The frames to check for  interference by Hendry are the same frames they would have used to check for a foul by Hendry.

The footage they ran would be. They wouldn't need to start by showing him a frame to confirm Hendry was, in the first instance, offside though. Which they did.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McLeish's second spell drops him well below Smith if he was even above him to begin with.

See personally, I would say on first spells alone I’d put Walter Smith above McLeish, but McLeish’s second spell moves him up because of that nations league group win. Without that group win we never qualify for the euros and he deserves his share of the credit for it. He was rightly sacked after losing to Kazakhstan though. 

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Craig explained this last night much better than any of my apparently offensive posts did. Other than the fact that I don't agree with the suggestion it was "definitely going to be a goal" this post is 100% bang on the money.

Indeed, @craigkillie 's post is a very good summary.

I also agree with you that we can't say it would definitely have been a goal if Hendrie hadn't committed the foul; likely would have, but we just don't know.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

See personally, I would say on first spells alone I’d put Walter Smith above McLeish, but McLeish’s second spell moves him up because of that nations league group win. Without that group win we never qualify for the euros and he deserves his share of the credit for it. He was rightly sacked after losing to Kazakhstan though. 

The Nations League saw him beat an abysmal Albania side home and away and then trade wins with Israel, where we rode our luck a lot at Hampden. The Albania away win was probably the only good result of his reign. Even if we'd finished 2nd in that Nations League group, we'd still have reached the play-offs and still ended up being promoted.

13 minutes ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

And if we win this game we'll have a 33% winning away record against them but I don't think that stat is really going to tell you much about the relative quality of the two teams in the year 2023.

We got the huge qualification hoodoo off our back for the last Euros so I have confidence that this squad can put the Georgia away demons to rest.

It’s worth bearing in mind we have won 5/6 games in this group and it may very well have been 6/6 with a different referee and a slice of luck.