Spain (a) in October

Just now, velo army said:

Look up "operacion Puerto". A doping investigation in 2006 involving a Spanish doctor called Fuentes. It brought down a lot of major figures in cycling, but he said during the investigation that cyclists were a small fraction of his clientele. The judge ordered that only the cyclists be investigated despite Fuentes saying that Spain should give back their WC and Euros trophies (it went to court in, I think, 2012). It was pretty clear that the cyclists were being thrown to the wolves to cover for footballers and tennis players who were part of a systematic doping program.

Yep. Used to be some laugh when Nadal would be running about like a demented whippet 6 hours into a tennis match deep in a tournament whilst carrying an injury. See also - City sending players to Barcelona for ‘treatment’ in the early Pep days and them returning a month ahead of schedule 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

The simple facts are the referee signalled for a foul when he came back onto the pitch.

UEFA called it as a foul and publicly gave this information out.

They then changed their decision later on to indicate it was given for offside.

That's where the outrage lies. I don't think for a second Hendry was offside but even if he was, the sheer incompetence on display from everyone involved and lucking out on the correct decision is still a fucking farce.

This for me, the referee signalled for a direct free kick which to me means he was called across for a potential foul.  Don't get me wrong, the referee was completely incompetent all game, so its feasible he's just given the wrong signal, but just makes it smell like an even bigger rat.

I would have had no qualms with the result, had it ended without what transpired with the disallowed goal, as at some point we probably would have buckled, but for me the disallowed goal gets their tails up, deflates us and has undoubtedly contributed to what eventually happened.

Actually, f**k it, enough with the niceties, another cheating bassa of a Dutch ref!  Just completely pissed off with it!

1 minute ago, ClydeTon said:

Of course it wasn't a foul, but that's what they disallowed the goal for.

I'm simply countering this made-up narrative of "but it was offside", believed only because UEFA, in post, changed the reasoning.

UEFA are useless b*****ds. SFA need to apply some pressure.

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

No offence mate but what planet are you on ?

How could u not know what Scotland need to do to qualify unless you have been kidnapped and held captive for the past 6 months 😂

What does it mean for our head to head both us and Spain have a 2-0 home win, what does it go to after that?

I'm still not convinced that he was offside. 

At first when it was paused, I thought he definitely wasn't, then it seemed that he might have jutted his leg forward just early enough to maybe be.  I don't see even that as clear cut though.

Nobody appealing is not entirely conclusive of course, but it again suggests that any offence is almost negligible.

Just now, ArabGaz said:

Hendry was waving his arm around. He was hardly hauling him to the ground. There’s no way that was enough to prevent him from getting to the ball.

The goalie could have rammed through Hendry to get to the ball, but he didn’t, cause he had no clue about it until the ball was in the net. 

Sore one that but plenty to be positive about. I thought Hickey (bar the slip), Porteous and McKenna were colossal at the back tonight. Hendry was a bit more shaky defensively. Midfield did struggle to make an impact in the first half but showed flashes after half time.

The disallowed goal, the referee gave a direct free kick for a foul on the keeper, not offside. If Hendry was offside, then yes I would accept the foul for offside as it did interfere with Simon. That is not what it was initially disallowed for. It's really poor work by the VAR team and UEFA tonight.

Dust ourselves down and move on to Sunday. A draw would be lovely.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Fortunately we have a couple of experts on here. 

Who said he gave a foul? A free-kick was awarded, which is exactly what would have happened for an offside.

I understand why the majority will instantly squeal “CHEATS!” but that doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Seriously though, its offside. Are we all watching this with blue tinted specs on? If that happens at the other end we're all screaming offside. He standing offside and he stops Simon getting to the ball. He's 100% interfering.

Spot on. 

Just now, The Master said:

Guilliame Balague (so take with a pinch of salt) is saying the referee did put his hand up for an indirect free kick. 

Unlucky for Guillame that the game was on TV and this clearly didn't happen. 

Which is why the pub I was in went mental and thought he pointed to the center circle and awarded the goal.