The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Why is there a question mark at the end of that sentence?

Just find it a bit bewildering that you’re pontificating about other people (who were actively not supportive of the thing you voted for) being ‘right wing’ when you and your ilk/majority of your generation that voted, has done something far more insular, damaging and xenophobic to this country than any of the people you’re on your high horse about. The damage you’ve done with your vote is immeasurably worse than anything Forbes or Ewing could even dream of. 

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just find it a bit bewildering that you’re pontificating about other people (who were actively not supportive of the thing you voted for) being ‘right wing’ when you and your ilk/majority of your generation that voted, has done something far more insular, damaging and xenophobic to this country than any of the people you’re on your high horse about. The damage you’ve done with your vote is immeasurably worse than anything Forbes or Ewing could even dream of. 

Nice rant.  Still doesn’t explain the question mark.

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

We're all paying the price for the fucking boomers.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Nice rant.  Still doesn’t explain the question mark.

Thanks for that, i thought it was spot on too, as for the actual use of the question mark, you’ll forgive me if it was used in apparently the wrong context, but it was placed in the sentence to intimate a tone, a writers device even, if you insist on taking us back to higher English. A tone as to ‘who the f**k are you to accuse anyone of being right wing’. Maybe more a rhetorical question. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thanks for that, i thought it was spot on too, as for the actual use of the question mark, you’ll forgive me if it was used in apparently the wrong context, but it was placed in the sentence to intimate a tone, a writers device even, if you insist on taking us back to higher English. A tone as to ‘who the f**k are you to accuse anyone of being right wing’. Maybe more a rhetorical question. 

Good to know.  Personally I don’t give a shit but I’m sensing that you need to get this out of your system so I suppose I’m providing a public service.

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Well feel free to keep making mistakes after i go then. But get a grip of yourself pontificating about people being right wing zealots when your own voting behaviour is slightly to the left of Ghengis Khan. 

Voting behaviour?  Please explain…

The 'alternate reality', pre-financial scandal meltdown, when it was touted that 50% was more than possible, and in that event, Independence negotiations would begin. At the time (again pre-financial shenanigans), Humza was also being floated as a likely replacement for NS 

As far as what will he do 'if' they win 29 plus seats and Westminster says 'no', it just rolls on to the next Hollyrood election doesn't it..and then presumably to the next GE after that.

The question with the latest 'strategy' is..why is Holyrood regarded as a 'de-facto' Ref, but the GE isn't? Neither of course are. 

8 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

The 'alternate reality', pre-financial scandal meltdown, when it was touted that 50% was more than possible, and in that event, Independence negotiations would begin. At the time (again pre-financial shenanigans), Humza was also being floated as a likely replacement for NS 

As far as what will he do 'if' they win 29 plus seats and Westminster says 'no', it just rolls on to the next Hollyrood election doesn't it..and then presumably to the next GE after that.

The question with the latest 'strategy' is..why is Holyrood regarded as a 'de-facto' Ref, but the GE isn't? Neither of course are. 

I'm sure this has probably been said numerous times before, but after 2014 there should've been something set in stone about how to get to another referendum.

The no side will argue that the yes side agreed to abide by the result and haven't. The yes side will argue that the public have voted for another referendum in different elections, and that brexit is a huge change that warrants the question being asked again. Putting to one side which argument any of us are more sympathetic to, it's probably still in everyone's interests for there to be a clear route to another referendum.

One one hand we have supporters of independence arguing there is a mandate, and opponents arguing there isn't - or just trying to move away from the argument altogether. And there's no end in sight to this argument.

I think if support for independence became so overwhelming - as opposed to fluctuating between 45% to 53% - then it would become difficult to ignore, but it would be good for everyone to know exactly where we stand on the issue. 

On 16/10/2023 at 18:02, Donathan said:

Humza now saying that a majority of seats for the SNP at the next general election will trigger an independence referendum.

Only problem is, it won’t. Yet again the SNP are making the rules up when they know fine well that whoever is PM after the election will just say no.

I want someone to ask Humza what his next move is when the PM says no again. 

I would like to know his answer to that question too. We both know that he has no cards left to play as the power us with Westminster to grant a referendum.

Shouldn't we be asking the PM why it's in the best interests of Scotland for the ukgov to decide if we even have the option to leave? Also, asking the Scottish public if they are happy that Westminster has the say over whether we even get the option to leave? What is the route to independence?

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I'm sure this has probably been said numerous times before, but after 2014 there should've been something set in stone about how to get to another referendum.

The no side will argue that the yes side agreed to abide by the result and haven't. The yes side will argue that the public have voted for another referendum in different elections, and that brexit is a huge change that warrants the question being asked again. Putting to one side which argument any of us are more sympathetic to, it's probably still in everyone's interests for there to be a clear route to another referendum.

One one hand we have supporters of independence arguing there is a mandate, and opponents arguing there isn't - or just trying to move away from the argument altogether. And there's no end in sight to this argument.

I think if support for independence became so overwhelming - as opposed to fluctuating between 45% to 53% - then it would become difficult to ignore, but it would be good for everyone to know exactly where we stand on the issue. 

Agreed but it's in the interests of Westminster to keep us so we won't be leaving anytime soon. It suits them that we can't have a referendum, they're not interested in doing what's right/democracy.

Good point about 'sustained' support being more in the 55% plus sector. Yes supporters often argue that you can't put an arbitrary figure on what sustained support should be..'why 55, why 60' etc, but in fairness it is the one factor that even the more ardent Tories would find hard to ignore.

Setting parameters of 29 seats or a de facto Ref at Holyrood always enable Westminster to simply say 'No'.

However, back to Yousaf..an inspiring enough figure to get those 29 seats or win at Holyrood?..Don't think so.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

I would like to know his answer to that question too. We both know that he has no cards left to play as the power us with Westminster to grant a referendum.

Shouldn't we be asking the PM why it's in the best interests of Scotland for the ukgov to decide if we even have the option to leave? Also, asking the Scottish public if they are happy that Westminster has the say over whether we even get the option to leave? What is the route to independence?

Agreed but it's in the interests of Westminster to keep us so we won't be leaving anytime soon. It suits them that we can't have a referendum, they're not interested in doing what's right/democracy.

IMO there are only two feasible routes available.

The first is tremendously unlikely. The first is that we get a UK government that actively wants Scotland out. This isn’t going to happen for a number of reasons.

The second and by far likeliest scenario to how Scotland gets independence is that at some point in the next few UK general elections you’re going to see a hung Parliament. It’s happened at two of the last four and I don’t think either of the main parties are popular enough to see the kind of sustained long term majorities that Blair and Thatcher enjoyed. I do think Keir Starmer will get a majority next year (and a pretty sizeable one at that) but in 2029 or 2034 or 2039 there will absolutely be a hung Parliament.

If Scotland continues to send 40+ SNP MPs to Westminster then they’ll hold the balance of power in that hung Parliament. It’s very much possible that the largest party (be it Labour or the Tories) would be relying on SNP support to prop up their government. In that case the price of that support would be an independence referendum for sure. 

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

IMO there are only two feasible routes available.

The first is tremendously unlikely. The first is that we get a UK government that actively wants Scotland out. This isn’t going to happen for a number of reasons.

The second and by far likeliest scenario to how Scotland gets independence is that at some point in the next few UK general elections you’re going to see a hung Parliament. It’s happened at two of the last four and I don’t think either of the main parties are popular enough to see the kind of sustained long term majorities that Blair and Thatcher enjoyed. I do think Keir Starmer will get a majority next year (and a pretty sizeable one at that) but in 2029 or 2034 or 2039 there will absolutely be a hung Parliament.

If Scotland continues to send 40+ SNP MPs to Westminster then they’ll hold the balance of power in that hung Parliament. It’s very much possible that the largest party (be it Labour or the Tories) would be relying on SNP support to prop up their government. In that case the price of that support would be an independence referendum for sure. 

Needs an awful lot of things to fall into place for democracy to be allowed.  It shouldn't need Scotland to hold the balance of power in the UK for an independence referendum to be allowed.  It is mind boggling trying to process that a country can only obtain independence by supporting the government of the union that it wants to leave.  

Edited by strichener