The Malik Tillman Incident - What Would You Want?

Poll  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Kapowzer said:

Joe Hart tried to pull a fast one on us at Parkhead where he got exposed coming out too far and feigned a head injury as it immediately makes the referee stop the game.

Long and short there's guys out there willing to do anything to win regardless of any moral stance.

James Scott was vilified for a goal also at Parkhead when we were 2-0 down. The difference here was Ryan Christie pulled his hammy and Celtic put it out for a shy to facilitate a sub. Jimmy latched on to the ball thrown to the corner and was squared up to by I guess entitlement? The scorer (Ariyibi) avoided any censure and St Brendan had a long moan.

What would you do here if it was your team?

Yeah Hart was at it there, it's funny how certain cheating acts are vilified more than others. I know it's an unwritten rule would bin giving the ball back altogether tbh you have decided to lose possession to make sure you are covered by having less men at that time.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yeah Hart was at it there, it's funny how certain cheating acts are vilified more than others. I know it's an unwritten rule would bin giving the ball back altogether tbh you have decided to lose possession to make sure you are covered by having less men at that time.

I like your 30 second rule however, shake it off, go off for treatment or be subbed. But I'd put that together with removing timekeeping from the ref to as we're paying for it the VAR team. There is a shout for changing the current setup of a 45 min half plus stoppages to 30 minutes of actual ball in play, in theory that would cut out a lot of the bullshit. Could result in widely differing half times and final whistles on a standard Saturday fixture list.

After every Euro's or WC there's a few months when players are ushered off on the back of it being a thing at the tournament. It never lasts though as the referees default back to their datum.

I voted for the free goal to be given to the opposition with one caveat.

If we’re playing Hearts in a derby don’t give them a goal, they have had the rub of the green in pretty much every Edinburgh derby in my life, they deserve to be cheated against.

That is all.

16 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Arsenal v Sheffield United FA Cup tie in 1999 was replayed because of what Kanu did. Arsenal Wenger offered to replay the match and Arsenal still won 2-1.

I have a bit of a Mandela effect about this. I can remember the goal, Wenger offering the replay (and me thinking it was a bit of an empty gesture) as for some reason I was sure the FA said no. 

6 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I know the villa one keeps coming to mind but was there not a cl game a few years back where they scored and *didnt* allow the other team a goal back? Shaktar iirc, brazilian guy that scored, ill have a look.

Im inclined to think the solution is just to have the captains/managers of both teams let each other know pre match what they'll do if a player is down injured, and let the ref know.

Our playoff against Livi at Firhill was amazing for cynicism; several times livi players went down when we had the ball and when we put the ball out, livi would boot it for a throw in as close to our goal as possible before pressing high up in numbers. It wasnt why we lost and went down but i mind it boiling my piss at the time given what was at stake and how blatant it was. Cant mind if the ref was asking our players to put it out or not.

That Livi team was pretty much a huge shithouse for the whole season. Just built on winding up teams and working hard

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I have a bit of a Mandela effect about this. I can remember the goal, Wenger offering the replay (and me thinking it was a bit of an empty gesture) as for some reason I was sure the FA said no. 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-offers-fa-cup-rematch

Players need to take a lot more responsibility in these scenarios and stop being cheating c***s. You can pretty much tell when a player is genuinely injured as they won't move at all to avoid worsening any injury. Any player that's rolling about, there's f**k all wrong with. Also, fellow players will be pretty aware of whether or not another is injured, be that on your own team or the opposition. 

As has also been mentioned, this idea that if a team is on the attack and they kick it out or the ref stops play and the opposition blooter it 60 yards back to the goalie, is somehow sporting needs to be binned. Maybe teams if they are 1-0 down, have the ball and the oppo have a player down, take it to the corner flag, put it out for a throw, then don't ask for it back, pressure them. 

Also, if refs would actually add on the correct time for feigning injury, it might help the situation. 

13 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I've just watched the Tillman incident in full, for the first time. Did he get treatment, as it doesn't look like he did?

If he did, did he have to leave the field? Presuming he didn't, why did the game take so long to restart?

I'm asking these things, as I'm not clear on the situation, just from the footage available.

There was a VAR check for a possible red card for the challenge - the injury came because Harry Milne stood on his foot after the ball had gone.

Unless I’m picking it up incorrectly, if people are suggesting that Tillman was feigning injury to waste time, we were drawing at the time of the incident. I don’t think we’d be trying to waste time while drawing with a second tier side at home in the cup.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There was a VAR check for a possible red card for the challenge - the injury came because Harry Milne stood on his foot after the ball had gone.

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

Unless I’m picking it up incorrectly, if people are suggesting that Tillman was feigning injury to waste time, we were drawing at the time of the incident. I don’t think we’d be trying to waste time while drawing with a second tier side at home in the cup.

Thanks, gents. I wondered why so long had passed before a restart. Tillman wasn't wasting time, of that I'm sure, but he appeared to have plenty time to digest the situation and realise what was happening. That's what puzzles me.

10 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Thanks, gents. I wondered why so long had passed before a restart. Tillman wasn't wasting time, of that I'm sure, but he appeared to have plenty time to digest the situation and realise what was happening. That's what puzzles me.

I think it was simply a case of him not seeing that we had put the ball out for the purposes of him to recover. Then by the time play was about to restart from the throw, Partick had pressed up against our back line so he may not have realised that they were intending to kick it up the pitch as they were set up in a normal manner.

I'd be interested if a research group or whatever broke down awarded fouls into the following:

• Player injured requiring immediate substitution
  • Player injured requiring legitimate physio attention
  • Player substituted (precautionary)
  • Professional foul
  • Non event
  • Fouled player dived
  • Fouled player embellished seriousness/injury

I suspect over 90% would be the last three. Therefore refs should err on the side of "they're at it".

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I'd be interested if a research group or whatever broke down awarded fouls into the following:

• Player injured requiring immediate substitution
  • Player injured requiring legitimate physio attention
  • Player substituted (precautionary)
  • Professional foul
  • Non event
  • Fouled player dived
  • Fouled player embellished seriousness/injury

I suspect over 90% would be the last three. Therefore refs should err on the side of "they're at it".

Without particularly disagreeing with you, I’m not sure how that would change this particular situation (or similar) given that we (Rangers) halted play by putting the ball out while we were in possession. The referee never stopped the match.