🔵⚪️Saints v Buddies ⚫️⚪️ 25/02/23

Seen the var replay on the live stream. 

If you pause it with his foot above the St Mirren lads ankle it's a clear red. Scottish ref would always give it. 

There's a part of me thinks the real time video isn't as bad as the still image and we shouldn't be focusing on still images but probably overly optimistic. 

Zero intent but most refs probably give it. 

3 minutes ago, CamaroSaint said:

Dreadful tackle. Hope it's not broken

3 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Fuckin horrible challenge 

Dunno, I honestly don't think he's went in recklessly with intent or to do Flynn. Flynn nipped in before him and nicked the ball and he's been caught upper ankle, lower shin.

It's a nailed on red card but I don't think it was dirty or malicious as such.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Dunno, I honestly don't think he's went in recklessly with intent or to do Flynn. Flynn nipped in before him and nicked the ball and he's been caught upper ankle, lower shin.

It's a nailed on red card but I don't think it was dirty or malicious as such.

From the other side it barely looked a foul but we obviously can’t see where the contact is. No chance of any malice, he’s turning on the ball and trying to take it out wide and has presumably had it taken off his toe?

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Are refs just playing it safe now with yellow cards and assuming VAR will intervene to allow them to change their mind?

In my opinion, aye. He’s a couple of yards away, he can surely see it. VAR check was rapid too. 

3 minutes ago, AussieBud said:

The horrendous state of that tattie field resulted in the red card. Rather watch a game on Astro than on that mess

This 100%. Not a massive astro fan but absolutely scunnered watching games on this pitch.

Dreadful game. Saints so unbelievablely predicable in there style and patterns. At least we can play the second half "more like an away game".

So I’ve just seen it back from the guy behind me in the stadium and I can see why a red is given. No intent but he obviously catches him on the ankle and it’s a sore one.

Zero consistency though when you remember the red card Ryan Jack wasn’t given at Ibrox for an absolutely intentional tackle that almost took Montgomery’s ankle off. One guess why that wasn’t given…

3 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I'm incognito in the home end here and the fans around me were snorting in disbelief when the ref gave a foul for the challenge on Flynn, never mind what came after.

Tell them it was 100% merited. 

As I’m sure they’ll agree when they see it. 

Telling that the ref took so little time to change his decision and seemed to tap the monitor to say thanks for helping him get the decision right. 

Malice or not that was the very definition of a dangerous tackle. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

From the other side it barely looked a foul but we obviously can’t see where the contact is. No chance of any malice, he’s turning on the ball and trying to take it out wide and has presumably had it taken off his toe?

I thought it looked a pretty soft foul. I suppose intent no longer matters. If you catch someone - accidentally or not - it's a red. The ref didn't take much convincing, looked at the monitor for about 5 seconds and, to be fair to Phillips, he didn't complain so I'm guessing he expected it.