Things that might die (out) in your lifetime

14 hours ago, btb said:

Nah it's going the way of Jazz, there'll be enough people around to support a small number of new bands plus older acts will still pull biggish crowds as long as they're still around. Looking forward to when 90% of the audience at a Bob Dylan concert are using a Zimmer man! 

That's exactly it - it's going the way of jazz. 

On 23/02/2023 at 09:59, MEADOWXI said:

The changes in smoking, remember on double deckers it was upstairs for smoking, or single deckers it was at the back after the wee step as it kept the smoke from the front LoL.

Not just on buses it’s crazy to me that people could smoke in restaurants. In Kilwinning we had the Claremont where the non-smokers were downstairs and the smoker’s upstairs……the problem with that though was that both up and down stairs were in the same room with just a couple of steps to class it as upstairs.

My first job was in McDonald’s and they still had the wee silver tinfoil ashtrays when I started there.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not just on buses it’s crazy to me that people could smoke in restaurants. In Kilwinning we had the Claremont where the non-smokers were downstairs and the smoker’s upstairs……the problem with that though was that both up and down stairs were in the same room with just a couple of steps to class it as upstairs.

My first job was in McDonald’s and they still had the wee silver tinfoil ashtrays when I started there.

I only have vague memories of people smoking in places like restaurants. I know smoking used to be a lot more common than it is now, but trying to eat in a restaurant while cigarette smoke was wafting about must have been bogging.

When did smoking in restaurants get stopped? I am sure it was way before the 2006 smoking ban.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They used to have a smoking carriage on every tube train in London, even as a smoker I found them unbearable, especially in rush hour.

I imagine getting fag burns on your clothes was a very real hazard then too. Sounds bloody awful.

I'm sure on the trains (intercity) the 8/16 seats at either ends of the carriage were smoking, so to get to the non smoking section, or from there to the toilet you had to walk through a wall of smoke, and there was no ventilation or barrier to prevent the smoke and smell filling the whole carriage.

Restaurants would make smoking sections, but they weren't fully partitioned off, normally just some space made with plant pots or screens.

Folk smoked in the cinemas too.

2 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

I'm sure on the trains (intercity) the 8/16 seats at either ends of the carriage were smoking, so to get to the non smoking section, or from there to the toilet you had to walk through a wall of smoke, and there was no ventilation or barrier to prevent the smoke and smell filling the whole carriage.

Restaurants would make smoking sections, but they weren't fully partitioned off, normally just some space made with plant pots or screens.

Folk smoked in the cinemas too.

There were smoking and non smoking sections in them, too. :lol:

22 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I remember playing Muirfield when I was about 15 and my mum putting a tie in my rucksack saying I'll need that to get into the clubhouse for the lunch after. What she didn't tell me (and I found out when the man on the door stopped me going in) was it had to be tied in a Windsor knot. 

Had no idea what it was so just looked glaikit at the doorman who huffed then put my tie in a Windsor knot for me.

Genuinely the worst clubhouse on the planet, the entitlement, misogyny & snobbery absolutely drips from the place. Worked there during the open sometime in the 90’s and hated having to visit the clubhouse, of course everything changed once the players arrived on tournament week. If I remember correctly the club captain was some sort of retired major or field Marshall. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I only have vague memories of people smoking in places like restaurants. I know smoking used to be a lot more common than it is now, but trying to eat in a restaurant while cigarette smoke was wafting about must have been bogging.

When did smoking in restaurants get stopped? I am sure it was way before the 2006 smoking ban.

pretty much aye, there were a few who held out to the bitter end but the vast majority stopped it before the year 2000. part of the outcry about the 2006 ban which was pretty controversial at the time was that by that point it was pretty much down to just pubs and bookies where it was still allowed. everywhere else had already banned it on there own accord. from 1995 - 2000 smoking indoors went from almost everywhere to almost nowhere.

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

pretty much aye, there were a few who held out to the bitter end but the vast majority stopped it before the year 2000. part of the outcry about the 2006 ban which was pretty controversial at the time was that by that point it was pretty much down to just pubs and bookies where it was still allowed. everywhere else had already banned it on there own accord. from 1995 - 2000 smoking indoors went from almost everywhere to almost nowhere.

Used to hate it in restaurants - conversely I never minded it in pubs. I remember the night after the smoking ban came in I nipped into one of the hole-in-the-wall boozers in Partick on my way home to see how it was holding up.

Smoke hid a multitude of sins...when you walked in, the smell from the bogs coupled with the honk of spilled beer nearly knocked me on my back.

17 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Used to hate it in restaurants - conversely I never minded it in pubs. I remember the night after the smoking ban came in I nipped into one of the hole-in-the-wall boozers in Partick on my way home to see how it was holding up.

Smoke hid a multitude of sins...when you walked in, the smell from the bogs coupled with the honk of spilled beer nearly knocked me on my back.

Aye definitely took some getting used to, not only did pubs not smell like pubs but they didn't feel  like pubs either if that makes sense. As a smoker I was dead against it at the time, I carried on smoking till 2018 but for most of that time I wouldn't have went back to smoking in pubs if i could. Didn't even smoke in my own house for about 6 years. 

On 23/02/2023 at 15:35, pozbaird said:

Probably printed tickets for anything - football, concerts, flights, whatever. Will soon be entirely paperless.

Being able to phone a company and get through to a living breathing human being who can actually help with your issue.

The football match progranme.

We haven't made a programme since 2021 due to low sales and now have a magazine coming out every few months.