Things were better in my day

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I always feel when I was younger that stuff was expensive but doing things was much cheaper and I always think of music as a classic example. Bands used to go on tour to help sell records, now they pretty much give the music away to sell very expensive gig tickets. I found a couple of old tickets recently, Sonic Youth 2004 was £14, Bloc Party 2005 at King Tuts £6. A CD of their latest album would have been £10-15 then at least.

It's flipped 180 degrees. A band used to tour to promote an album, now they'll record an album to promote a tour. Ticket prices used to be incredibly cheap accordingly...I'm one of those sad acts that has kept ticket stubs, and it's weird to look back...within the space of a few months in 1980 right at the start of my gig going career I saw both Rush and Sabbath with Dio for £2.50 a pop, while Judas Priest (with Iron Maiden opening) charged a mighty £3.25...allowing for inflation, the Priest gig cost maybe £12 and the other two less than a tenner.

Edited by Hillonearth

15 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I always feel when I was younger that stuff was expensive but doing things was much cheaper and I always think of music as a classic example. Bands used to go on tour to help sell records, now they pretty much give the music away to sell very expensive gig tickets. I found a couple of old tickets recently, Sonic Youth 2004 was £14, Bloc Party 2005 at King Tuts £6. A CD of their latest album would have been £10-15 then at least.

Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA tour at St. James Park, Newcastle, 1985. £7.50.

Christ, I was 22.

3 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I'll see that and raise you Bruce Springsteen, The River tour at Edinburgh Playhouse, March 1981. Pretty sure it was £5.50 for stall seats.

I was going to ask if they went doon the watter but then realised you said Edinburgh not Glasgow, so it doesn't work. FML.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2023 at 18:08, Lex said:

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be and all that. I think one of the reasons we think music, tv and films from yesteryear was better is that you only remember the good stuff and its only the best content from the era that is still played or shown with any regularity now. There was plenty of guff stuff produced in the 70's or 80's, it's not remembered cause you never hear it or see it anywhere now. 

Nah I genuinely think music was better back in the day. Look at any festival lineup this summer for example and compare it to historical versions. It was just better.

TV, on the other hand, is much better now IMO. Post Sopranos-era onwards. 

6 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Nah I genuinely think music was better back in the day. Look at any festival lineup this summer for example and compare it to historical versions. It was just better.

You realise though, that when you were young, people the age you are now were saying the exact same thing about the music you enjoyed?

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

You realise though, that when you were young, people the age you are now were saying the exact same thing about the music you enjoyed?

Not really though. I’m talking about music from the 60s, 70s, 80s and to a lesser extent the 90s & 00s. I was born in the 90s so your theory is incorrect. 

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Not really though. I’m talking about music from the 60s, 70s, 80s and to a lesser extent the 90s & 00s. I was born in the 90s so your theory is incorrect. 

He's saying that people in their 30's and 40's in the 80's were saying that music was better when they were younger, which is true. Music we experience when we're teenagers has the greatest impact, arguably, of any music we listen to in our lives. Our emotional reactions are stronger and we don't have the "handbrake" of developed frontal lobes to take the edge off them. Although you're obviously right that music was better until the 80's, then the era of manufactured music seriously kicked in.

You were born into that era, so I'd suggest that music was certainly not better in your day and was in fact just as pish as it is now. Unless you count britpop as belonging to your era, in which case batter in.

7 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Nah I genuinely think music was better back in the day. Look at any festival line-up this summer for example and compare it to historical versions. It was just better.

TV, on the other hand, is much better now IMO. Post Sopranos-era onwards. 

Music was more interesting because it was changing all the time.    Bands that were big three years ago were out of date unless they were into the new scene.  Top of the Pops was a total variety with AC DC appearing on the same show as Boney M.  After the variety disappeared, the show disappeared soon after.

15 hours ago, velo army said:

He's saying that people in their 30's and 40's in the 80's were saying that music was better when they were younger, which is true. Music we experience when we're teenagers has the greatest impact, arguably, of any music we listen to in our lives. Our emotional reactions are stronger and we don't have the "handbrake" of developed frontal lobes to take the edge off them. Although you're obviously right that music was better until the 80's, then the era of manufactured music seriously kicked in.

You were born into that era, so I'd suggest that music was certainly not better in your day and was in fact just as pish as it is now. Unless you count britpop as belonging to your era, in which case batter in.

"Manufactured" music has been around since recordings were available. 

Plenty of the charts in "the golden ages" was utter bilge from music farms, like Larry Parnes' stable.  No different to Simon Cowell and his ilk now. 

Motown may have put out a few belters but they also put out Rockin Robin and a whole slew of mediocrity from the likes of the temptations. 

Even before that the likes of Louis Armstrong was frowned on by serious Jazz types for doing commercial stuff. 

The biggest selling single in the UK in the sixties- Beatles? Stones? Nope, Please Release Me. 

Arguably music was more manufactured before the 80s when the punk/ indie attitude to ignoring record labels kicked in. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

"Manufactured" music has been around since recordings were available. 

Plenty of the charts in "the golden ages" was utter bilge from music farms, like Larry Parnes' stable.  No different to Simon Cowell and his ilk now. 

Motown may have put out a few belters but they also put out Rockin Robin and a whole slew of mediocrity from the likes of the temptations. 

Even before that the likes of Louis Armstrong was frowned on by serious Jazz types for doing commercial stuff. 

The biggest selling single in the UK in the sixties- Beatles? Stones? Nope, Please Release Me. 

Arguably music was more manufactured before the 80s when the punk/ indie attitude to ignoring record labels kicked in. 

I was following your argument until “before the 80’s”, with the Ramones, the Buzzcocks, the Sex Pistols and the Clash all in the ‘74-‘76 range. Say before the mid-70’s and I’ll concur.

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I was following your argument until “before the 80’s”, with the Ramones, the Buzzcocks, the Sex Pistols and the Clash all in the ‘74-‘76 range. Say before the mid-70’s and I’ll concur.

For the sake of 5 years, no, i won't. 

I'll defend my arbitrary, subjective and entirely spurious argument to the death. 

I feel like music lacks the pioneers and cultures which has defined music in previous decades. In the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s there were all sorts of new genres emerging, musicians became proper legends and it was exciting. I feel since the 2010s music has gone rapidly downhill. The best bands at festivals are the big names of previous eras. I mean look at the Glastonbury headliners for this year: Arctic Monkeys, Guns n' Roses and Elton John. All great acts but they are not 'current' bands. It doesn't fill you with much excitement. The alternative would be something like, what, Stormzy, George Ezra and Adele. Do me a favour.

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I feel like music lacks the pioneers and cultures which has defined music in previous decades. In the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s there were all sorts of new genres emerging, musicians became proper legends and it was exciting. I feel since the 2010s music has gone rapidly downhill. The best bands at festivals are the big names of previous eras. I mean look at the Glastonbury headliners for this year: Arctic Monkeys, Guns n' Roses and Elton John. All great acts but they are not 'current' bands. It doesn't fill you with much excitement. The alternative would be something like, what, Stormzy, George Ezra and Adele. Do me a favour.

In 1992 headliners included Lou Reed and Van Morrison, with (Tom Jones as a special guest) who were as current then as  GnR are now. Not sure Glastonbury has been at the cutting edge for a while. 

The other headliner IIRC was Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine.  They were a decent and then current band. 

I strongly suspect that your experience in subjective and you-centric. My subjective cut off for decent stuff is about ten years earlier but recently i've been getting excited about new music again. Must be the mid life crisis.