Things were better in my day

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Years ago, in Inverness, they use to throw the park benches in the river, rip side mirrors off parked cars and smash any Christmas lights that they could reach.

Oh, the good old days.

Now I am older and wiser.

Thankfully that does not happen so much now.

Took the council years to work out that if the lights on the Greig Street bridge were raised a few feet they’d still be there over Christmas. 

YouTube was much better back in the day. Less content, admittedly, but less clowns that people inexplicably view as some sort of person worth listening to as well. 

Above all, though, there weren't adverts every fucking five minutes. 

Edited by Michael W

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Standard of football at the elite level is better, being a football fan is undoubtedly much shitter. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Agree with others that football is worse in almost every department. Only 15 years ago it was a much better laugh for the fans.

Is it though? Or is this a case that fifteen years ago you enjoyed the day more because of the stage of your life you were at? The peak for watching football is when you're between 16-20 IMO, little responsibilities, loads of your pals go, week in week out you're trekking around the country going to random pubs and probably knowing all the away fans in there, bliss. 

However fifteen years ago when I'd go to away games the fan experience was absolutely pish, standing was villified with a few stewards at certain grounds being notorious dicks about it (Both the Dundee teams, EEP, Livingston), the cost was still pretty expensive, I'm pretty sure an adult at EEP was paying between 16-18 quid fifteen years ago, it's now 20, that's Nb. 

Now though you have safe standing getting introduced at grounds, allot of teams seem to have an ultras type group that has helped the atmosphere at loads of grounds, you don't see anywhere near the same levels of heavy handed stewarding etc. 

There was undoubtedly a time when the fan experience was better, but it wasn't fifteen years ago IMO. 

Technology is so much more advanced in just a generation than when I were a lad.

I used to load up games on a tape to play on my ZX Spectrum.

Even my first experience of Championship Manager was on an Atari ST and a new season had to been updated overnight 😂

Even ways in staying in touch are greatly improved through various methods.

Personal banking is so much more accessible too.

I remember being skint in Dublin around 1992 and my mum somehow sending me £20.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

And that they'll fancy fat kids

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

They're easier to catch I'd imagine.

If they have a choice of walking or jumping in your van for a lift and some sweeties what the wee obese sods going to pick?

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

YouTube was much better back in the day. Less content, admittedly, but less clowns that people inexplicably view as some sort of person worth listening to as well. 

Above all, though, there weren't adverts every fucking five minutes. 

Google as well.  The internet in general maybe.

22 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Having read the things that might die in your lifetime thread it got me thinking about aspects of modern day life which are better/worse than say in the 70s/80s/90s/00s. I’ll start you off with a few below:

Better

Tolerance and rights for minorities are a lot better in the modern era than they were historically.

Eating at restaurants/food options. This used to be dreadful back in the day. Remember going for ‘High tea’ at the Royal George in Perth, absolutely horrendous stuff. My Grandad used to freak out about any sort of strange spices or seasoning on his dishes, even pasta was exotic to him. 

What you're really saying there is grandads are better now.  High Tea - a hot, savoury dish followed by scones, meringues and/or cakes - is a tremendous meal and one I'd often make on a Sunday when my kids were still school-age.  Its demise is a sign of a crumbling civilisation IMO...