Killie vs ‘Well

I. never looked but was anyone policing the bois today?  I remember at Kilmarnock previously I was sitting nearby and a woman in her sixties was positioned about four rows in front of them keeping an eye on them.  Not one ounce of trouble.  Whereas at St Mirren park the stewards and sometimes the police go in mob handed and seem to me to incite trouble.

I know there was trouble in the town at the last fixture, but none in the ground?

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Very subjective, plenty of people prefer behind the goals for whatever reason.

Yeah, sorry, but this is kind of my point. I'm not paying my money to turn up and watch so that it looks good on telly. 

17 minutes ago, ropy said:

Slattery got booked for celebrating in front of the disabled section, presumably the ref was anticipating a surge of wheelchairs.

video-the-blackpool-pitch-invasion-needs-to-be-seen-to-be-believed.webp.e75ae36c98192d8646e671a71a2921c3.webp

I also remember Marvin Johnson getting booked at Rugby Park early one season, I think it might have been an opening day fixture, he scored a header and ran behind the net and back on the pitch at the other side only for Craigy Thomson to book him, the fans were fired up the back like today.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

https://www.thecelticwiki.com/1970-04-11-aberdeen-3-1-celtic-scottish-cup-final/

Some more on that 1970 Cup final. 

I'm sure that the Celtic Wiki page may be a little biased but in fairness I've heard this version of the game a few times, any YouTube link ?

Not a wheelchair was mentioned?

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I didn't actually notice that the first time, but nonetheless as soon as Van Veen deliberately plays the ball (his second touch, not his first), that plays him onside. The rule about players whose momentum takes them off the pitch is interesting - my understanding is that both the Killie player and the Motherwell player would count as being on the goalline for the purposes of offside, meaning that he'd be onside anyway, but I personally think that rule makes zero sense.

Thats the correct interpretation and why he's not offside. 

The rule of player off the park being classed as on the edge of the park was to stop defenders stepping off the park and therefore playing a striker offside because no one was 'on the park.'

8 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yeah, sorry, but this is kind of my point. I'm not paying my money to turn up and watch so that it looks good on telly. 

Of course not but - with the exception of Parkhead in my group at least - no one will not go because the view from the away end is a particular in the ground. 

It's obviously not the biggest deal in the world but given most of us feel Scottish football can be better marketed, this is one of the things that'd improve the product on display by 1% nearly for free.

The whole "defender deliberately playing the ball, therefore the striker is not offside" thing is a bit of a joke. Not here in this instance mind you. I have no qualms with that goal other than maybe Liam Kelly but some of the examples in English football have been a joke.

Kelly should be catching that.

KVV should be clearing it.

What about Casey Butcher losing his man at the corner and allowing a near free header in the centre of the goal from just outside the six yard box? Casey did the same at another corner which nearly let to a second. Surprised it hasn't had a mention. 

Edited by Pepper
Wrong defender

12 hours ago, Handsome John said:

Never mind that, tell us more about why Slattery shouldn’t be allowed to play this month….

I think the 10 game ban that he should have been given would have been up by now, but the fact it has been completely ignored by the club and the authorities is the issue.

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think the 10 game ban that he should have been given would have been up by now, but the fact it has been completely ignored by the club and the authorities is the issue.

Your tweet suggested that him being a part of games during the month long Football v Homophobia thing was an issue. 

You’ll no doubt have celebrated a goal scored by Lafferty in the past in a game after he held up a red card to racism….

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Couple of questions here.

The club where aware of it in November of 2021. What did they do or not do that upset you?
And what was said that has upset you so much?

I find it a disgusting thing to have happened but I know very little about it. I know the club were aware of it at the time, but don't know what action they took.

Slattery is probably an arsehole, and deserved the police fine, but I'm not really sure how drunken, casual homphobia reflects on his job as a footballer tbh. If was something he said on social media, or to an opponent on the field, I can see how it would fall under the SPFL's remit but I don't really think that's the case here.

Fwiw I think the Lafferty stuff was awfy overblown too.

Edit- criticism of the club is probably fair though, aye. If we're going to talk the talk about being a community club or whatever it's a bit cowardly to let this stuff go without comment.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

25 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Slattery is probably an arsehole, and deserved the police fine, but I'm not really sure how drunken, casual homphobia reflects on his job as a footballer tbh. If was something he said on social media, or to an opponent on the field, I can see how it would fall under the SPFL's remit but I don't really think that's the case here.

Fwiw I think the Lafferty stuff was awfy overblown too.

Also, was the rule that Lafferty was given his 10 game ban for not only introduced this season?

As @Busta Nut says the actual incident where Slattery was charged with being an arsehole was in 2021. Albeit he was up in court and pled guilty in October 2022.

Are the SPFL going to take action about an incident that predated the punishment being introduced and had also been dealt with by an actual court?

Also, as Busta points out just because the club didn't publicly confirm they'd taken any action doesn't mean they didn't deal with it internally.

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Also, was the rule that Lafferty was given his 10 game ban for not only introduced this season?

As @Busta Nut says the actual incident where Slattery was charged with being an arsehole was in 2021. Albeit he was up in court and pled guilty in October 2022.

Are the SPFL going to take action about an incident that predated the punishment being introduced and had also been dealt with by an actual court?

Also, as Busta points out just because the club didn't publicly confirm they'd taken any action doesn't mean they didn't deal with it internally.

Didn't know that but aye it would make a lot of sense. I still think the Lafferty thing is more of an overstep than I'm really comfortable with but that's by the by.

I'm not sure what the club really could have done publically between the time of the incident and him going to court. I can't remember what punishment the court handed out, but if the club did something internally before the court thing, do they then punish him again just so they can be seen to be doing something? If it was related to his family situation, do the club kick him while he is down or do they support him?

Either way, he got drunk, acted like a dick, said something homophobic, and got caught and punished for it, both by the court, and by the looks of it by the club at the time.  None of us need to like him for it, but he doesn't need to lose his job either.

4 hours ago, Handsome John said:

Your tweet suggested that him being a part of games during the month long Football v Homophobia thing was an issue. 

You’ll no doubt have celebrated a goal scored by Lafferty in the past in a game after he held up a red card to racism….

My tweet said that a player who is a scoring during that month shone a light on the fact that the authorities didn't take it seriously. I wasn't saying he shouldn't have been playing, but rather that it was a reminder that a confirmed, criminally convicted, homophobe, went completely unpunished by the authorities. Therefore it is clear that their commitment to the campaign is all about image rather than any genuine commitment to it.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Couple of questions here.

The club where aware of it in November of 2021. What did they do or not do that upset you?
And what was said that has upset you so much?

I find it a disgusting thing to have happened but I know very little about it. I know the club were aware of it at the time, but don't know what action they took.

I can completely understand Motherwell waiting until the legal process is complete, so being aware of it between November 2021 and October 2022 and not making any sort of public statement is fine. However, as soon as he was convicted, they should have been making some sort of public comment on it, even if it was to say that the issue had been dealt with internally and that they condemned homophobia etc.