Missing a court appearance - warrant out.

On 10/03/2023 at 16:48, TxRover said:

Sounds like we need a new thread on tips for turning yourself in to minimize cell time, and maybe a review thread for cells around the country/world so people can chose a better location to surrender at.

On 13/03/2023 at 19:37, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Not sure if true but did hear it from a serving officer. If you hand yourself in on a Friday evening in Fife you get straight back out as they don't keep you in over the weekend.

Was there not a story, years ago, about Tommy Sheridan. Wouldn't pay fines so would be told pay or 3 days in jail.

Would hand himself in late Wednesday/early Thursday for court, they would send him to serve his days.

As the jails couldn't release over weekend would go in on Thursday and be released Friday and marked as full sentence served. Cannot be held longer than sentence term. Worked for Monday Holidays too if a 4 or 5 day sentence. Sure I read he did it more than once, the martyr of the people that he was.

30 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I suppose I should confess that I went to jail many years ago for the hideous crime of throwing three doubles in a row.  Bit harsh, I know, but in truth it wasn't that bad.  Managed to get out pretty quickly, by paying a £50 fine (can't believe it would be that easy).  Best of all, it wasn't even real money - yet nobody seemed all that bothered.

In any case, I learnt my lesson and nowadays I avoid throwing dice altogether.

Not sure you have a monopoly on that tale.

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I suppose I should confess that I went to jail many years ago for the hideous crime of throwing three doubles in a row.  Bit harsh, I know, but in truth it wasn't that bad.  Managed to get out pretty quickly, by paying a £50 fine (can't believe it would be that easy).  Best of all, it wasn't even real money - yet nobody seemed all that bothered.

In any case, I learnt my lesson and nowadays I avoid throwing dice altogether.

You should take a chance.

Time served at the weekend counted as double in regard to doing porridge for an unpaid fine which is why a lot of canny old lags would hand themselves in on a Thursday night if there was a fines warrant out as they would be out on a Monday with the time served.

These days "the alternative" is rarely imposed by the Courts as Fines Enforcement have other ways of recovering the money 

• 3 weeks later...

Re handing yourself in-for a short term sentence you get half remission so if for example a fine alternative sentence is 6 days,you serve 3.if it's an odd number it's rounded up in the crown's favour is you get 7 days you serve 4.when it comes to liberating people,jail's don't do that at the weekends,only mon-fri;therefore,if you've a 7day warrant and hand yourself in late on Thursday you ought to be out on the Friday as that would be seenas 4 days served-thurs,Fri,sat,sun

9 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He's transitioning in a hope to get moved to Cornton Vale.

I've worked in Cornton Vale, you're better off in Male prison.

12 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

Re handing yourself in-for a short term sentence you get half remission so if for example a fine alternative sentence is 6 days,you serve 3.if it's an odd number it's rounded up in the crown's favour is you get 7 days you serve 4.when it comes to liberating people,jail's don't do that at the weekends,only mon-fri;therefore,if you've a 7day warrant and hand yourself in late on Thursday you ought to be out on the Friday as that would be seenas 4 days served-thurs,Fri,sat,sun

I'm knackered reading that

8 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I used to visit someone there and it was wild, even in the visits. 

Done work in most of the prisons and it's one of the worst except Carstairs and maybe Polmont.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I used to visit someone there and it was wild, even in the visits. 

Watched a couple of ladies try to pickup a mate years ago. They said they were from Gatesville (the home of a female prison and Texas female death row). He looked them both up and down, and said, “Really, which cell block?” Don’t really remember much for the next few minutes, as it was quite the scene.