Gary Lineker

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

James O’Brien is a privileged Tory? Have I missed something?

Must have. He’s admitted voting for Boris Johnson for London mayor, and presumably used to vote Tory before his “muh Boris and brexit bad” boring nonsense. It’s very funny to see people that like to think of themselves as left wing/progressive/woke rush to his defence. 

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

Must have. He’s admitted voting for Boris Johnson for London mayor, and presumably used to vote Tory before his “muh Boris and brexit bad” boring nonsense. It’s very funny to see people that like to think of themselves as left wing/progressive/woke rush to his defence. 

So you're saying that someone who once had shite opinions but changed them is forever tainted, and agreeing with them on what they say now taints you with their former opinions? That's some next-level political puritanism.

Edited by Aim Here

I agree that the BBC licence fee not being progressive is a shiter and that aspect should be challenged. Yet broadly, until or unless a concrete alternative to BBC can be presented, it should be supported. Having a collectively-owned broadcaster means freedom from the ravages of the market. Quality and service can be prioritised over mere ratings. It means we get these (now under threat) Attenborough documentaries while all that Americans get is Discovery channel guff about ancient aliens and nazis. Private media is only interested in profit so publishes lowest common denominator, mass appeal shite. Without a BBC you'd get nothing in gaelic or Welsh. BBC can cater to those minority interests because profit is not the motive.

Even with news reporting, BBC is far less biased than any private media. Just last week their website had a feature on Cuban poverty. It didn't once mention the US sanctions in that article because BBC is biased towards the UK state, obviously, and then USA is a close ally of UK. The article was perfectly factual, though. So the bias was there but so long as you are aware of it and account for it in your own personal reading, you can still glean BBC output for the information it provides. This isn't the case with most private media news reporting.

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

So you're saying that someone who once had shite opinions but changed them is forever tainted, and agreeing with them on what they say now taints you with their former opinions?

What proof is there that his views have changed much? There are plenty of tories that don’t like brexit or Boris Johnson. He’s still a right winger (maybe not a Tory) and the fact he interviewed Tony Blair proves it. 

Edited by MazzyStar

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

I heard him on his show owning up to voting for Boris for Mayor. Where does the ‘presumably used to vote Tory’ kick in? 

12 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

You've assumed something based on one admission, but whatever m8.

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

I heard him on his show owning up to voting for Boris for Mayor. Where does the ‘presumably used to vote Tory’ kick in? 

The fact he voted for Boris Johnson, his social class and his current political views suggest he’s the type of person that used to vote Tory. He talked about the Jeremy Corbyn anti semitism LIE in that horrific interview with Tony Blair. The fact he can treat Tony fucking Blair with any respect proves what type of person he is. He was praising Alastair Campbell and Yvette Cooper the other day. That’s as far left you’ll see James O’Brien go, NEW LABOUR.

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

The fact he voted for Boris Johnson, his social class and his current political views suggest he’s the type of person that used to vote Tory. He talked about the Jeremy Corbyn anti semitism LIE in that horrific interview with Tony Blair. The fact he can treat Tony fucking Blair with any respect proves what type of person he is. He was praising Alastair Campbell and Yvette Cooper the other day. That’s as far left you’ll see James O’Brien go, NEW LABOUR.

Bar .  .  . resident drunk guy .  .  .  rant, ramble, cough, fall of stool .  .  . every topical thread on here seems to have one. 

2 minutes ago, Lancashirearab said:

Of course the BBC is unbiased. I can remember them banning Lineker before when he tweeted about Corbyn. 

FB_IMG_1678524941969.jpg

There's a degree of democratic control over the BBC. The government of the day is involved in the senior appointments at the organisation. The UK electorate, the arseholes that they are, have put Tories in power for the last 13 years. Those Tories have in turn put Tories in charge of the BBC. We get what other folk vote for.

I don't think a state broadcaster is the problem but rather the choices of the electorate.

3 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

I disagree with their opinions just as much as James O’Brien, that doesn’t mean he has the right to speak to them as if he is above them. 

You're always on about James O Brien. Let it go, Mazzy, you're never going to meet him. 

5 hours ago, Dev said:

I stopped watching the EPL on TV years ago. The clubs seem to be more interested in Money than anything-else and not many are even owned by people with local links. The players are paid huge salaries and so are the commentators. The whole thing has gone global and cut itself off from its' roots so if all EPL coverage goes down I, for one, won't miss it at all. I prefer to support semi-pro football.

The game is fukced up here as well. Celtic have that much money they can build a squad that has two teams of players that can rip the shit out of the 3rd best team in Scotland with the minimum of effort. The game is ruined.