Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

35 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I read the Spanish had about twice as many lumps into the box as us. They did try the possession game, but that is pointless if the passing is slow and you have Ceballos trying to do everyone's job for them.

Luis de la Fuente, basically the Spanish Scot Gemmell 😂

Said to my pal after about 25 minutes last night that it was interesting that their game plan had basically resorted to getting the ball to the full back for a hopeful cross to be flung into the box. Can’t have been many times in the last 10 or so years will a Spain side have looked completely out of ideas going forward. It may be that I’m misremembering and they quite often resorted to playing like that but it was reminiscent of Rangers under GVB.  

38 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

Love McGregor, just sits in there, quietly doing everything right, doesn't give the ball away and was still running around at 90 minutes like it had just kicked off. 

How good is the Norway team aside from Haaland? 

As far as I can tell, Haaland doesn't get many goals from his own individual brilliance (a la MBappe, Messi, Ronaldo, Bale), he is an incredible finisher in the box. With de Bruyne popping balls into the box I'd probably get one or two. 

For all Georgia's improvement, Norway missed two absolute sitters last night.  They missed a few opportunities against Spain as well.  I was worried Georgia had played them off the pitch, but frankly, how Norway didn't win that game is beyond me.

Norway creative, but give up chances.  A similar approach in Oslo will no doubt be what we do.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

16 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Said to my pal after about 25 minutes last night that it was interesting that their game plan had basically resorted to getting the ball to the full back for a hopeful cross to be flung into the box. Can’t have been many times in the last 10 or so years will a Spain side have looked completely out of ideas going forward. It may be that I’m misremembering and they quite often resorted to playing like that but it was reminiscent of Rangers under GVB.  

I don't think they're usually go down the direct route at all. It's all...

15 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Absolutely up there as one of the best games I’ve been to.

I fucking love this squad, they have all been brilliant. I do owe an apology to Kenny McLean, because I was very rude about him being subbed on but he didn’t put a foot wrong, and also Ryan Porteous whom I always considered a Neddy wee Hibs dick, but who is in fact the successor to Maldini. Tremendous stuff.

Can’t believe anyone could moan about Clarke’s contract being extended. He’s a fucking God.

Chapeau, mo. Always nice to see a bit of magnanimity from one of our Jambo chums..............😉

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah even last night he was incredible. Incredibly strong, lovely technically and so clever with his decisions and positioning. If every player last night were put up for sale today, he and Gavi would command the highest fees. 

I think the Scottish record will probably be broken this summer, though, with Newcastle potentially buying McTominay and/or Tierney. 

Are we talking juanjo type of money here? 😱

Loved last night.  I've been critical of SSC but yesterday he came up with a game plan which the players executed to perfection so I'm happy to eat my words.  Loving, too, the Spanish bleating.

Kris Boyd is great in this Youtube clip:

16 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Eek. Please tell me 8 of them were against San Marino.

I believe he’s scored in 13 of his 23 caps, failing to score in the other 10

Hat tricks in home wins over Romania and Gibraltar (6)

Braces at home to Armenia, away in Belfast and in both fixtures against neighbours Sweden… he loves a derby (8)

His remaining seven goals came in home games against Austria, Netherlands and Slovakia and trips to Latvia, Luxembourg, Serbia and Slovenia 

I don’t have a list of who the opponents were that he failed to score against but with the exception of the Dutch, every one of his goals has come against sides who are on our level at very best and many of them miles behind us. 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah even last night he was incredible. Incredibly strong, lovely technically and so clever with his decisions and positioning. If every player last night were put up for sale today, he and Gavi would command the highest fees. 

Fairly sure Gavi is available for nothing this Summer, as it stands.

Scott McTominay got me through my shift at work today.

In unrelated news, I'm looking forward to the shock announcement of Bonnie Tyler going straight to number 1 in this week's charts after being streamed non-stop since Saturday in Scotland.

Edited by LoonsYouthTeam