Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

9 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

I think we've employed friendlies fairly well. England is a special case, but in the last year we've played the similarly-matched Austria, Turkey and we'll be playing France soon, of course.

Austria and Turkey were just games to keep the squad's "pals" structure going, and France will be SC's chance to really test our strength as a squad, probably leaning towards NL League A & Euro 2024.

Compare that to a few years ago when we played sides like Costa Rica, Peru and Mexico - nothing games against teams we're unlikely to play otherwise, no real competitive value. Then again, we were probably around CR/Peru's level around that period.

I think the Austria game was because we were both the semi final losers from the playoff path. UEFA force teams to play 10 games per year IIRC. 

24 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I think the Austria game was because we were both the semi final losers from the playoff path. UEFA force teams to play 10 games per year IIRC. 

That's also a possibility.

I didn't know UEFA force teams to play 10 times a year. Surely we've broken that (at least) a couple of times?

15 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

That's also a possibility.

I didn't know UEFA force teams to play 10 times a year. Surely we've broken that (at least) a couple of times?

It’s a fairly new rule I think and was probably relaxed through covid but certainly last year we played ten games last year (Nations League x6, the Ukraine playoff and then three friendlies against Poland, Austria and Türkiye)

The year before last we played 10 qualifiers alone, hitting the target before you even consider the two pre-Euros friendlies and three games at the tournament proper.

2020 was covid hit but we managed 8 games IIRC (Entire UNL group with Czech/Israel/Slovakia, plus the playoff games with Israel and Serbia)

2019 had the entire Euro qualifying group (10 games)

Basically you need to play two matches in each of March, June, September, October and November of each year. More often than not, UEFA will arrange matches for each you (either UNL or a qualifier) in each window but you have to play friendlies if you’re idle for whatever reason. 

• 2 months later...
On 23/06/2023 at 21:46, Donathan said:

The Austria game was before the play-offs - it was rescheduled because both of our play-off schedules were disrupted due to the Ukraine situation.