Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

16 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I've heard that kind of talk before. 1974, 1978 frinstances.

Can't help but think it doesn't matter how good we are, we will never win a trophy.   

Too many variables.   Location, weather, referees, injuries, pure bad luck, retaining manager, France, etc.

I hope I'm proved wrong.

Hmm, location should be ok , this time.  Weather too. VAR will help with referees. All teams suffer injury probs. Luck seems to be running our way. Clarke won't go to Rangers. Our record v France is 8 each.

OK, we'll win it.

I’m not saying I expect Scotland to win the euros but we should absolutely be considered dark horses and lumped in with the likes of Switzerland and Denmark who would be the pick to win it outwith the traditional big 7 and the other 2 countries who’ve forced their way into the elite conversation in recent years (Belgium and Croatia) 

80/1 on Paddy Power. Worth a tenner each way for me. 

1 hour ago, The Naitch said:

That’s a bit of a scudding Luxembourg have taken in Portugal.

New record win for Portugal. Luxembourg can hold their own against most sides these days, but are still capable of taking an utter tanking against the big boys. 15-0 in two games against the Portuguese. I thought Slovakia were going to hit double figures after being 3-0 up after ten minutes or so, but I guess they declared and all took a picnic in the centre circle or something.

I was over at my maws and wanted to watch Luxembourg, but she fancied Wales v Latvia instead, and will not be living down that catastrophic error any time soon.

Edit: the Ikaunieks "tackle" was made bizarre by the sheer amount of time the ref watched it before deciding it was just a yellow. He was at the screen for minutes. Think he must have fancied a breather and really resented the idea of having his decisions questioned, as that was such an egregiously late, high, and dangerous challenge.

Edited by BTFD

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Northern Ireland and Iceland both did it in Euro 2016 qualifying.

I just looked and Northern Ireland won their group outright from pot 5 and the pot 1 team (Greece) finished bottom

Must be the only time in history that a pot 5 team has won a group with the top seeds finishing 6th 

Of course that set of results cost Claudio Ranieri the Greece job which set off a chain of events that led to him going to Leicester and winning the Premier League 

Edited by Donathan

6 hours ago, Donathan said:

I just looked and Northern Ireland won their group outright from pot 5 and the pot 1 team (Greece) finished bottom

Must be the only time in history that a pot 5 team has won a group with the top seeds finishing 6th 

Of course that set of results cost Claudio Ranieri the Greece job which set off a chain of events that led to him going to Leicester and winning the Premier League 

That group also saw Greece lose home and away to the Faroes, I'd expect that's the only instance of a sixth seed taking six points from the top seed.

On 10/09/2023 at 15:05, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Would be quite splendid if Kazakhstan and Luxembourg could both qualify 

I was fascinated to find Luxembourg has come close to qualifying once before: way back in 1964 when Finals only had 4 entrants! WD v Dutch, DD v Danish, lost 1-0 to Danish in playoff to join Spain+USSR+Hungary.

On 12/09/2023 at 00:22, Donathan said:

Slovakia looking good to qualify from all the way down in pot 5. Can't be many times of any at all where a 5th seed has qualified directly before.

Don't get too carried away. Luxembourg have a noticeably easier run-in.

They'll be hoping it doesn't come down to goal difference, though  :lol:

On 10/09/2023 at 22:36, qos_75 said:

Sadly it looks like Kenny will get the bullet in the not too distant future.

I liked the fact that they hired a man that found the Scottish Championship to be beyond his capabilities.

There was something reassuring about the fact that absolute jobbers like James McLean still got picked for them.

Good news: Stephen Kenny is staying until the end of the year.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0914/1405230-kenny-to-remain-in-charge-for-rest-of-euro-campaign/

Presumably because they are skint and don't believe they will get a playoff, therefore no need to pay someone more money to come in to prepared. Fantastic to see South Ireland this pish and supporting a loser.

• 4 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly, Israel's match against Switzerland, scheduled to be played on Thursday, has been postponed. There also remains a doubt over Israel's trip to Kosovo next Sunday though you'd imagine that should go ahead?

Creates a potential scheduling problem with the playoffs not far away.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Unsurprisingly, Israel's match against Switzerland, scheduled to be played on Thursday, has been postponed. There also remains a doubt over Israel's trip to Kosovo next Sunday though you'd imagine that should go ahead?

Creates a potential scheduling problem with the playoffs not far away.

The Kosovo game will probably go ahead and then they’ll reschedule the Switzerland game for November to form a triple header like we saw during covid. They’re also due to play Romania at home in November so I’d imagine both of those matches get moved to the same neutral venue and they’ll play them Wednesday-Saturday in November before going to Andorra on the Tuesday night for their last game.