Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The Austria game was before the play-offs - it was rescheduled because both of our play-off schedules were disrupted due to the Ukraine situation.

Yea you’re right, however it was due to them losing to Wales if I’m not mistaken. The loser of that game was to host us in a friendly so we’d have gone to Cardiff if Austria had won. 

Germany are utter shite right now and that Japan game could have been a whole lot worse. It makes me appreciate Clarke more and having a side with a discernible system and plan. They look hopeless and I fear a pumping against France. It's been coming for Germany though as they looked in transition at the last Euros. They could struggle to get out of their group at this Euros.

Kazakhstan would do damned well to make it out of their group, considering they'd need to finish ahead of the Danes or Finland, who are having their best-ever period. Slovenia have caused them problems already too. They've a decent chance of qualifying though, considering their win over Denmark and the Nations League play-offs are still to come. They're clearly a better side than the Norn anyway.

Luxembourg have a genuine shot at finishing second. Portugal are scooshing Group J, Iceland have fallen apart and Slovakia have been quite poor in the past few years. They'll be pleased enough with their start, which shows how far they've fallen. Luxembourg's remaining games against Slovakia and Bosnia are at home, having taken points from both away, so you could argue they're actually slight favourites at this point.

Years ago, people arguing for a pre-qualifying round would say "look at Luxembourg, they've been playing the big teams for years and they still haven't improved", so it's nice to see that argument getting put to bed.

15 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I don’t want to get ahead of myself but the only teams who may be objectively better than us are France (frequently implode) and Portugal (managed by Roberto Martinez).

we genuinely could win the Euros

I've heard that kind of talk before. 1974, 1978 frinstances.

Can't help but think it doesn't matter how good we are, we will never win a trophy.   

Too many variables.   Location, weather, referees, injuries, pure bad luck, retaining manager, France, etc.

I hope I'm proved wrong.

Hmm, location should be ok , this time.  Weather too. VAR will help with referees. All teams suffer injury probs. Luck seems to be running our way. Clarke won't go to Rangers. Our record v France is 8 each.

OK, we'll win it.

15 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I don’t want to get ahead of myself but the only teams who may be objectively better than us are France (frequently implode) and Portugal (managed by Roberto Martinez).

we genuinely could win the Euros

Let’s not go sucking each other’s cock here. We haven’t qualified just yet.

While I think we would give most sides a good game, I would like us to keep our heads down and see what happens.  

No point in shouting from the rooftops and making ourselves a target.