Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

Just now, Donathan said:

He's just ignored VAR again

Yep, must be some words between him and the VAR referee after the game. :D

Anyway, not good from our side, but we got the win and are as good as qualified so I'm definitely happy with that.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Watching on mute, but I was very confused about why the ref was asked to go and check that Dutch penalty. Dumfries definitely went down easily but it looked a pretty blatant foul, didn't see much scope for overturning it.

I thought that the penalty award might have been offside, and he was advised to check the earlier incident, for which he then awarded a penalty.

Assuming we don't f*ck it up against both Ireland and Gibraltar, that means that our PO ticket will get passed on to a League B team based on the current standings. As things stand, these are the teams in the play-offs now:

Path A: Croatia, Poland, Estonia

Path B: Israel, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Path A or B: Finland, Ukraine, Iceland (one of those will be drawn into path A, the other 2 go in path B)

Path C : Georgia, Greece, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg

Edited by Marten

12 hours ago, Marten said:

Assuming we don't f*ck it up against both Ireland and Gibraltar, that means that our PO ticket will get passed on to a League B team based on the current standings. As things stand, these are the teams in the play-offs now:

Path A: Croatia, Poland, Estonia

Path B: Israel, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Path A or B: Finland, Ukraine, Iceland (one of those will be drawn into path A, the other 2 go in path B)

Path C : Georgia, Greece, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg

I was reading somewhere that it's now basically in Ireland's interests to lose to Netherlands, as it gives them a better chance at a nations league playoff. 

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I was reading somewhere that it's now basically in Ireland's interests to lose to Netherlands, as it gives them a better chance at a nations league playoff. 

It could be in Ireland's interests if we qualify automatically, but results in other groups have already made any scenario that would make them reach the playoffs unlikely. However, as we still play Gibraltar after Ireland and we only need to win one of these games to qualify (and that is assuming Greece beat France), I doubt that will be on their mind much anyway at this stage.

17 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I thought that the penalty award might have been offside, and he was advised to check the earlier incident, for which he then awarded a penalty.

Watching it back, I think you might be right, because he makes the "VAR signal" before pointing to the spot, which isn't something they usually do if they're sticking to their original decision. He didn't make the VAR signal when he didn't give the third penalty a few minutes later.