Why do I not have a Scottish accent?

At the Cyprus game, I ended up sitting in front of a Weegie who had one of those awful high-pitched Weegie accents.

Those with me could visibly see my anguish, and I needed all my mental strength to prevent this situation:

S03E04-7rXTj9Tx-subtitled.jpg.33cc031dccf3e4b5d5e5e2c51c1af201.jpg

On 26/03/2023 at 22:08, AmericanFan said:

You'll have to explain that.

Someone from Glasgow is a Glaswegian. Shortened for slang, it's Weegie, pronounced wee-gee.

People not from the hovel of Glasgow get offended if they are presumed to be a Weegie.

Totally off-topic...

Weegee was also the adopted nickname of one Usher (Arthur) Fellig, a Ukrainian émigré to the USA who became a New York City reporter in the 1930s. Weegee was well known for his crime photography, which bordered on fine art. He was able to scoop many of his rivals by adopting the then novel idea of installing a police radio in his car. No information on whether he had a connection to Glasgow but I suspect the second city of the empire in the 1930's wasn't dissimilar to parts of Ukraine today. 

His stuff is worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.

Weegee

On 27/03/2023 at 11:37, gannonball said:

I lived in Ireland,Scotland and America as a kid and my accent would often change to suit. I have had a boring monotone Andy Murray type accent since adulthood though and when I hear Kevin Bridges do his in posh Scot type sketches I laugh and hate myself at the same time.

Interesting.

What took you around to the different places? Parents work?

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

Interesting.

What took you around to the different places? Parents work?

Yeah my father worked for an American computer company so jumped about from Ireland to Scotland to Boston then back to Scotland then over to California then back to Scotland again. Have lived a bit all over Scotland since then from my studying and work. I used to to travel a fair bit but have done f**k all since Covid.

On 28/03/2023 at 00:40, Shotgun said:

Totally off-topic...

Weegee was also the adopted nickname of one Usher (Arthur) Fellig, a Ukrainian émigré to the USA who became a New York City reporter in the 1930s. Weegee was well known for his crime photography, which bordered on fine art. He was able to scoop many of his rivals by adopting the then novel idea of installing a police radio in his car. No information on whether he had a connection to Glasgow but I suspect the second city of the empire in the 1930's wasn't dissimilar to parts of Ukraine today. 

His stuff is worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.

Weegee

Folk from Tasmania are Taswegians.

On 24/03/2023 at 19:29, George Cowley said:

Pal of mine at primary school had just come back from an early years stint in the US, North Carolina I think - his dad worked for IBM - and despite being born in Scotland to Scottish parents, by the time he joined us in P2/3 he was distinctly exotic to the girls in the class with his broad American drawl. He’d also become a connoisseur of the  McDonalds menu before any of us even knew what that was! 

Was he called Ross? 

Been in the US 13 years, still have the same Scottish accent as I did when I left (but I am an old bugger). My stepdaughters claim it has softened, I believe it’s just that they’re used to it now. I get a lot of compliments about it, and some comments that it’s “quite strong”

Occasionally asked if I’m Irish (I guess to most ‘murcans they don’t know the difference.

For reference I’m originally from Thurso, but family is all from Aberdeen/shire so I have bits of both and use some Doric dialect as well (thankfully did not develop a full teenabowlie as my peer group at school was pretty diverse thanks to the influx of workers for Dounreay and Vulcan).

I wonder how many of our foreign contingent, who haven't lost their accents, have similar experiences to this when they come back to visit  :P

Hard to believe whoever posted that clip didn't realise it's supposed to be "we'll aye come back and see ye". A bit exagerated given it's for comedic purposes but not too far off on what happens to some Scottish people's accents in southern Ontario if they are not around other Scottish folk that much. Worth bearing in mind one of the actors involved in that grew up in Montreal. At the end of the day though there's worse things that can happen linguistically in North America than having a Scottish accent:

Edited by LongTimeLurker