Raith Rovers v Hamilton Accies

The second half was a continuation of the first, which was kind of just a continuation of the final. There was a wee lull just after Raith scored and we looked like we needed subs to breathe some life into the team, but a well-worked set-piece did that instead. I said with about 10/15 to go that it was just gonna pan out like the cup final and, remarkably, I ended up being right, only without the Fulton masterclass.

We have struggled with Raith's wide overloads plenty of times this season, but I've learned to just accept that they aren't gonna make anything of them. Imo defending with most back four formations gives you a better chance of matching up in the wide areas, too, which we've previously struggled with when in a 5-4-1 against Raith. I don't necessarily think that's why we won the game, but it does keep us competitive imo. We also hopefully now have a striker who isn't useless out of possession and is more of a target. 

I have no idea what's gonna happen for the rest of the season as we're well capable of chucking it against Cove or any other game, but there were elements tonight that made me think that the cup final performance wasn't only due to the players being fired up for a one-off occasion. 

1 hour ago, d_t_b said:

Delighted with that to be honest.

Deserved win, good battling performance and played some half decent stuff at times. Ashley-Seal up front is a massive, massive improvement on Tiehi so hopefully he can stay fit.

On Tiehi, absolutely fucking stupid thing to do for the red card. Could have cost us but as it is at least we know he won’t play on Saturday so every cloud.

Massive performance compared to that s##t show on Saturday. Well deserved 3 pts. Ashley-Seal is different class😊

10 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I honestly thought that Connolly, and Vaughan minutes before, could have made more of an effort to do something with the ball rather than wait on the contact coming.

No idea how both the referee and linesman missed Connolly throwing the punch in the aftermath.

Not much to add re the performance to what's already been said on here.

This, both of them waited to initiatied contact with the player looking for a foul when both had opportunity to do something else. It was poor. 

48 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

The way that team lined up at the end, was very Gary Locke.

As much as I have time for Murray,  that's not a trait he can afford to hold on to.

I was hoping he'd started to realise that it's not really effective to lose all shape so it's disappointing he's reverted to type. Akio and Goncalves offered absolutely nothing when they came on.

Vaughan one isn’t a penalty. Connolly one absolutely is a penalty. Isma miss is shocking. Lang at fault for both goals. Gives the foul away for the first, then gets beat in the air. Second one he gets no where near enough on the clearing header and it gets bundled in the net. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio