Crisps

On 30/11/2023 at 12:18, Jives Miguel said:

Al of these fancy flavours are complete nonsense anyway. Tried the Walkers Max Peperoni Pizza flavour the other. Tastes nothing like Peperoni Pizza. Its just generic meat flavour #1625. I suppose when you think about, that's what most crisp flavours are; just a random combination of flavourings that we've been conditioned to accept tastes of what they claim its meant to be.

Are Ready Salted and Salt & Vinegar the only truly authentic flavours of crisp?

Exhibit A, m'lud.

hedgehog-e1596284385435.png

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Sensational

0_Aldi-camembert-chilli-honey-crisps.jpg

Fairly recently I discovered honey is brullyint on curries etc.

I had a packet of crisps and honey on Monday. 

On Tuesday and Wednesday morni g at the hotel I had Salami & honey croissant for breakfast.

On Wednesday evening I walked through airport security unaware the honey cartridges I'd been pocketing from the hotel were in my side pocket and one had burst. The look on the security boys face when he asked me to empty that pocket was quite the sight to behold.

On 30/11/2023 at 12:18, Jives Miguel said:

Al of these fancy flavours are complete nonsense anyway. Tried the Walkers Max Peperoni Pizza flavour the other. Tastes nothing like Peperoni Pizza. Its just generic meat flavour #1625. I suppose when you think about, that's what most crisp flavours are; just a random combination of flavourings that we've been conditioned to accept tastes of what they claim its meant to be.

Are Ready Salted and Salt & Vinegar the only truly authentic flavours of crisp?

Nope.   My starting point for authenticity were the original Smiths crisps with the little blue twists of salt.

Then cheese and onion.

Then salt and vinegar arrived, followed over the years by all the rest.

My love for cheese and onion has remained, so obv that's the most authentic.

10 hours ago, beefybake said:

Nope.   My starting point for authenticity were the original Smiths crisps with the little blue twists of salt.

Then cheese and onion.

Then salt and vinegar arrived, followed over the years by all the rest.

My love for cheese and onion has remained, so obv that's the most authentic.

The big question is, while the original Smiths were good, did the introduction of Ready Salted improve the overall flavor because of the more even distribution of the seasoning, or was it a step back because now you had to live with the level of salt they chose? I mean, the originals were brilliant, but it was near impossible to really get them salted evenly to a level you desired.

As for the most authentic, I don't think there's a good answer. I love SnV, and Herr's (a Pennsylvania brand) do an outstanding version with enough bite to make you shiver...so that's what I like and think of. But remembering those crisps with the salt packages, I think I have to chose those as the authentic answer.

Here the cost of 'quality' crisps is prohibitive i.e. 3 or 4 quid for a family size bag.  And often the quality is dubious i.e. close to being out of date and/or all broken.  I am the chief crisp buyer in our household and generally stick to 4 or 5 flavours.  Even Lays cost around 3 quid for a family-size pack compared to half that for a local brand.

Some of the posts on this thread have me salivating!