Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Peter Murrell Charged

Lex

13 minutes ago, strichener said:

The SNP are not a charity so your point above is completely irrelevant.

The website that the donations were provided through didn't even have the SNP mentioned it was all about Indyref2.  You had to go past the donation page before you found out who was raising the money.  It's hard to then justify spending it on SNP running costs.

What does IndyRef 2 mean here. The SNP Executive can argue spening on national elections is spending to get Indy Ref 2.

The other thing that strikes me is if the donators wanted this money specifically for indy Ref 2 official campaign spending, and not on the broader campaign to achieve indyref2, why give it to the SNP who did not run the official Yes Scotland campaign. A political party isn't really the place to park money. If they were smart they would have set up their own investment account and increased the pot in the intervening years.

7 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

What does IndyRef 2 mean here. The SNP Executive can argue spening on national elections is spending to get Indy Ref 2.

The other thing that strikes me is if the donators wanted this money specifically for indy Ref 2 official campaign spending, and not on the broader campaign to achieve indyref2, why give it to the SNP who did not run the official Yes Scotland campaign. A political party isn't really the place to park money. If they were smart they would have set up their own investment account and increased the pot in the intervening years.

Put it this way. If your club got it's supporters to donate to a ringfenced European campaign fund, finished 7th, and you went "oh well the money's there if we do ever qualify though" and then they said "ah but we spent the money trying to get into Europe", what would your reaction be?

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It was for an Indy2 campaign.  You know that one the the SNP kept promising but failed to deliver.  That one.

Your other point would be valid if it was clear at the point of donation that it was going into SNP coffers but it wasn't.

38 minutes ago, strichener said:

The SNP are not a charity so your point above is completely irrelevant.

The website that the donations were provided through didn't even have the SNP mentioned it was all about Indyref2.  You had to go past the donation page before you found out who was raising the money.  It's hard to then justify spending it on SNP running costs.

The original poster was talking about the legal definition of ringfencing - charitable donations are the only type of donations where there are specific rules in place regards ringfencing of donations.  Political donations are only governed by the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 and there it is more concerned with registering larger donors than anything else.

Don't get me wrong - I've said that what's been done is unacceptable irrespective of the law. Perhaps the lesson from this, even if there were no criminal proceedings, is that there needs to be updated legislation governing party political donations and funding.

In the meantime. I suggest the SNP should be reviewing and reforming their own finances so this fiasco never happens again. An apology or two wouldn't go amiss either.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

It was for an Indy2 campaign.  You know that one the the SNP kept promising but failed to deliver.  That one.

Your other point would be valid if it was clear at the point of donation that it was going into SNP coffers but it wasn't.

A campaign or the official campaign like the one run by Yes Scotland in 2014?

16 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The original poster was talking about the legal definition of ringfencing - charitable donations are the only type of donations where there are specific rules in place regards ringfencing of donations.  Political donations are only governed by the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 and there it is more concerned with registering larger donors than anything else.

Don't get me wrong - I've said that what's been done is unacceptable irrespective of the law. Perhaps the lesson from this, even if there were no criminal proceedings, is that there needs to be updated legislation governing party political donations and funding.

In the meantime. I suggest the SNP should be reviewing and reforming their own finances so this fiasco never happens again. An apology or two wouldn't go amiss either.

The SNP used to state that they ringfenced funds and showed these separately in their accounts.

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

A campaign or the official campaign like the one run by Yes Scotland in 2014?

#ScotRef

The video with Nicola Sturgeon posted on the site stated that donations would "greatly help the campaign".  Take from that what you will.

However, the SNP also responded to Labour with a statement that the money raised on the site would be ringfenced for the purposes stated on the site.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

#ScotRef

The video with Nicola Sturgeon posted on the site stated that donations would "greatly help the campaign".  Take from that what you will.

However, the SNP also responded to Labour with a statement that the money raised on the site would be ringfenced for the purposes stated on the site.

So Sturgeon the leader of the SNP is talking about an SNP campaign would be my take. And not a campaign from an official Independence Referendum group like YES scotland.

And of course an SNP campaign for independence includes campainging for legislative elections to pursue independence through legal means.

So again it isn't really to do with ring-fencing money, it is about what counts as an independence campaign.

(assuming of course Murrell hasn't just pocketed the cash for himself or otherwise up to no good)

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

So Sturgeon the leader of the SNP is talking about an SNP campaign would be my take. And not a campaign from an official Independence Referendum group like YES scotland.

And of course an SNP campaign for independence includes campainging for legislative elections to pursue independence through legal means.

So again it isn't really to do with ring-fencing money, it is about what counts as an independence campaign.

(assuming of course Murrell hasn't just pocketed the cash for himself or otherwise up to no good)

That's one take on it for sure.  An absolute mental one but each to their own. 

In the SNPs own words "the funds are ringfenced for the purpose stated on the website.". There is nothing on the website that would lead anyone to think that the money would be spent on SNP office costs.

Just now, strichener said:

That's one take on it for sure.  An absolute mental one but each to their own. 

In the SNPs own words "the funds are ringfenced for the purpose stated on the website.". There is nothing on the website that would lead anyone to think that the money would be spent on SNP office costs.

What does it state on the website. Maybe you should post that.

Just now, strichener said:

The SNP used to state that they ringfenced funds and showed these separately in their accounts.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what you are saying - I just think that proving an individual donation is to be ringfenced may be a different matter - it very much depends on the wording of the donor form.  Perhaps someone who did donate can clarify?

As I've said, it may well be possible for no criminal offence to have taken place - but that doesn't make it ethically right.