Motherwell v Livi - 08/04/23

No one fancying this then?

Motherwell's season as good as over really, they can still sneak top 6 but I believe they'll need to get 7 points from their last 3 (home wins against us and Dundee United and a draw at Parkhead isn't completely out of the question mind) while also hoping a couple teams above them have a horrendous finish (i.e. us)

Ours is in serious threat of being over with thanks to a very recent poor spell, a few months back we looked like we'd be comfortably top 6 and could push Hearts for 3rd, now we're left needing a few points and other results to go our way to get top 6 at all.

We haven't beaten Motherwell away since October 2002, a 13 game run without a win there. I can see us struggling in the physical side of this and can see Motherwell coming out on top in the 50/50s, and I think a red card for us feels inevitable. Really torn on how I'd like to see us lining up, by all accounts no one really showed up well against St Mirren and I'm unsure which 2 of the defenders I'd like to see keeping their place; I like Fitzwater but both Boyes and Luiyi looked good in the couple of games prior to him being out.

George

Devlin  -  de Lucas  -  Boyes  -  Penrice

Holt  -  Se.Kelly

Bradley  -  St.Kelly  -  Nouble

Anderson

It'll be 2-1; heart tells me I'll be delighted on Saturday evening, head knows I won't be

DIdn't realise your record was similar (in age) to our one against the Cocaine Bears.

Team in form vs one bang out of it, a few months back I'd say if anyone needed a result we dutifully acquiesced.

Nothing to suggest the form book and history will be upset, suspect VAR will be a talking point.

Holt and Penrice were subbed and replaced by a much better Omeonga and Montano, Montano esp made a huge difference to our attack, making bursting runs down the wing. They surely have to keep their place. First half Boyes and de Lucas weren't great either and Boyes got subbed, thought de Lucas did better in a back four 2nd half with Fitzwater, but difficult to tell if that was partly down to St Mirren being 3 zip up and not putting the same effort into attacking us.

Would like to see us concentrating on our own best set up and not doing a 'Martindale' again, overthinking it and compromising our attack to try and nullify Motherwell's, it rarely ends well for us and they'll still score, but we wouldn't.

I'd keep Guthrie as either a front 3, in a 4-3-3, or in the 3 behind Anderson in a 4-2-3-1, i think he did well laying balls off, but just didn't have a good enough attacking player running off him with Anderson sitting on the bench most of the game. I think it would work well with Nouble and Guthrie supporting Anderson.

Preferred line up would be;

Shamal

Devlin              Fitzwater               de Lucas           Montano

St Kelly              Omeonga

Bradley                 Guthrie                   Nouble

Anderson

We'd at least score some goals with that set up.

You can find a reason for any game to be a test so it's a daft thing to say really.

But that being said, it'll be a real test for us and SK in particular how we approach a winnable game where we're probably marginal favourites after the high of last week, when we're on the brink of safety and having played as underdogs so far.

Another win would be huge but I can't help shake the feeling we're due a stinker - and the circumstances are right for it tomorrow.

Could also see the sides largely cancelling each other out in a dull 1-1.

I can see Livi winning this one tbh.

Kettlewell has been at pains to tell everyone all week that there's absolutely, definitely no complacency around the squad so my Motherwell brain instinctively thinks we'll switch off here - especially with Livi's fairly rotten record against us at Fir Park and the fact that another win would pretty much see us safe.

It's been a while since we've been able to have nice things and everything goes to plan.

That said we seem to have competition for places and injured players are coming back. So that's a bonus.

I'd imagine we'll have the same XI starting as scudded Hibs, unless that dunt Spittal took keeps him out - Ketts didn't seem to mention it in his presser yesterday AFAIK, why would he though?

I have not managed to get to a game since Raith in the cup away. So effectively since Kettlewell took over and our form turned around. 

Part of me says the way we are playing, Van Veen is scoring goals and Livi abysmal record against us means a home win is more than likely. A larger part of me says I am going along what is the worst that can happen…….seen that movie before too many times.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I can see Livi winning this one tbh.

Kettlewell has been at pains to tell everyone all week that there's absolutely, definitely no complacency around the squad so my Motherwell brain instinctively thinks we'll switch off here - especially with Livi's fairly rotten record against us at Fir Park and the fact that another win would pretty much see us safe.

It's been a while since we've been able to have nice things and everything goes to plan.

That said we seem to have competition for places and injured players are coming back. So that's a bonus.

I'd imagine we'll have the same XI starting as scudded Hibs, unless that dunt Spittal took keeps him out - Ketts didn't seem to mention it in his presser yesterday AFAIK, why would he though?

I reckon we'd need to score first to even have a chance of winning, and then get a 2nd before Motherwell scored. We have only won one game this season after conceding first, Killie away where we won 3-2, and went behind twice. Really wouldn't fancy us being able to do that again. A lot also depends on Martindale not fucking about with a tried and tested formation and starting XI, he has a habit of setting us up just to try and nullify the oppositions main goal threat, which would be Van Veen, at the cost of having our best striker sitting on the bench. Stuck an extra CB on against St Mirren, and we hand balled inside our box in the first minute of the game and went 1-0 behind, it all went to shit after that. 

Even if we score first, all of our score draws this season have come from positions in which we were winning :D We've only taken points from behind once this season I think also?

All Motherwell really need to do is score first and it's done, heads go down

41 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Is there any particular pub Livi fans head to pre match, usually just go straight to the ground for games through at Motherwell but will be having a beer pre match tomorrow. 

Just go to the bar in the Cooper stand, a pretty sedate atmosphere in there.

Cooper Bar
We’re open from 12 noon on the first floor of our Cooper stand. Fans and children of both clubs are welcome to join us for food and drink with a visit from a player.

Edited by ropy

As it's happened so often in the past, I totally get that 'Well fans might have the "things are going just a bit too well" feeling about today and normally I would - but it feels like the spine of the team is all playing well recently and individuals have money-spinning deals to play for even if the relegation threat has been more or less receded. I think we'll win by a couple.

I'm saving my pessimism for Utd next week where we are definitely getting beat.

33 minutes ago, Swello said:

As it's happened so often in the past, I totally get that 'Well fans might have the "things are going just a bit too well" feeling about today and normally I would - but it feels like the spine of the team is all playing well recently and individuals have money-spinning deals to play for even if the relegation threat has been more or less receded. I think we'll win by a couple.

I'm saving my pessimism for Utd next week where we are definitely getting beat.

It's maybe just my United supporting mate has influenced me too much but they seem like a total charity at the minute, much the way we were under Hammell. Don't turn up at tannadice by mistake, think kickoff is 1800 etc and I'm looking to win that one.