The Spicy Food Thread

I never got to try the Lidl Inferno pizza but now it (gbnf) and the thread about it (gbnf) and the person who made the thread (gmanbnfg) are all gone and I want spicy food recommendations, I'm making a new one.

A demographic shift (probably) in the UK has led to an increase in Asian cuisine widely available in supermarkets. The instructions on what are basically Super Noodles are a nonsense - cook them in 500ml of water for three and a half minutes, drain, add one of the flavour sachets, cook again, add another one, it's nonsense.

Anyway, I'm partial to these:

Nissin Demae Ramen Spicy Japanese Noodlesoup 100g | Sainsbury's

Throw the powder in and cook it in as little water as possible to try and make your head sweat. Discuss your favourite arse ruining food here.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I never got to try the Lidl Inferno pizza but now it (gbnf) and the thread about it (gbnf) and the person who made the thread (gmanbnfg) are all gone and I want spicy food recommendations, I'm making a new one.

A demographic shift (probably) in the UK has led to an increase in Asian cuisine widely available in supermarkets. The instructions on what are basically Super Noodles are a nonsense - cook them in 500ml of water for three and a half minutes, drain, add one of the flavour sachets, cook again, add another one, it's nonsense.

Throw the powder in and cook it in as little water as possible to try and make your head sweat. Discuss your favourite arse ruining food here.

Unless your noodles brand provides at least three sachets (for example - powder, oil and a paste) then you're already doing it wrong. 

The correct answer to that particular question is shrimp tom yum from the Mama brand. Not outrageously spicy but a general health reviver.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think one day I went to the Chinese wholesaler near me and bought one of each packet of noodle they stocked. I soon realised that Nissin were my favourites.  Whittled it down to black garlic flavour and garlic chicken flavour. 

As far as spicy goes I couldn't get near these bad boys. Ended up trying to just drop them into my throat vertically.

samyang-2x-spicy-hot-chicken-ramen.jpg

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Unless your noodles brand provides at least three sachets (for example - powder, oil and a paste) then you're already doing it wrong. 

The correct answer to that particular question is shrimp tom yum from the Mama brand. Not outrageously spicy but a general health reviver.

I think a lot of noodles are meant to be made as a soup hence the three different sachets. 

I quite like making my noodles sticky and bouncy. Putting them in a bowl with enough boiling water to make them float and no more. Then cover with a saucer for 5 minutes. Stir and then add powder and leave for another couple minutes.

8 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I think one day I went to the Chinese wholesaler near me and bought one of each packet of noodle they stocked. I soon realised that Nissin were my favourites.  Whittled it down to black garlic flavour and garlic chicken flavour. 

As far as spicy goes I couldn't get near these bad boys. Ended up trying to just drop them into my throat vertically.

I bought them in a Mexican shop. Figured they couldn't be *that* bad seeing as they were Korean and they were making it out of Korean supermarkets into the mass market. Bought the 5 pack as well, rather than just an individual one. Took me 90 minutes to eat the bowl and that was after stirring about 2ozs of cream cheese into it otherwise it'd have been a lot longer. The curry, jajang (black bean) and carbonara (sounds weird but it works) from that brand are all great tho. 

ETA - under no circumstances buy the corn flavor ones tho. Absolutely fucking honking. 

Edited by carpetmonster

28 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Those are tremendous but hard going, there are plenty of youtube videos of folk trying them

In terms of crisps, if you're in Glasgow or Edinburgh Lupe Pintos tend to have some stupidly hot ones from America, Blair's Death Rain are good.

The hottest I tried last time I was in America (NYC) were these, available in your 7-11 type places, couldn't finish them.

image.png.2c28b64c17674dc7ff7c59dc838e8dfa.png

Hottest thing I've ever eaten in my life which is no longer available was the Curry Hell from the Rupali (gbnf) in Newcastle about 12 years ago, me and my mate got it as a half portion sharing dish on the side, asked the waiter what was in it, he said ten different types of chilli and that people have had nosebleeds after eating it, rolled about on floor etc. Below is a link to Gordon Ramsay and Alan Carr having a go at it (as it doesn't seem to be on Youtube any more)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=323136341886038

Edited by Fuctifano

As above, I fucking love hot and spicy food. My indian takeaway meal of choice is always spice based and the tamest is just your standard madras if I'm wanting something a bit milder. My missus is the same.

She introduced me to those noodles above and I've tried them but I found their more basic ones even spicier. Couldn't finish the bowl. Tastiest noodles I've had from a packet (the ones you get in a pot don't quite taste the same) but was the first food I've tasted (other than just eating a raw scotch bonnet or whatever!) that's almost brought me to tears.

If you're wanting a decent challenge for what you can handle but still relatively tasty, give these a try:

Samyang Buldak Hot Chicken Flavour Ramen 140g - Tuk Tuk Mart

OH went to the Asian supermarket type shop on Grahams road in Falkirk the other day and brought home two of what I think were scotch bonnet peppers. We both did the thing, chopped a bit off, crunched it up and wound up hastily googling how to neutralise the effects (rum worked quite well for anyone interested).

I made an arabiatta sauce with one last night and it was absolutely magical, cooking must take away a bit of the burning effect but we hardly had to use any of the sauce and had plenty left over. Going to nip to that shop again to see what other goodies we can find.

6 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

OH went to the Asian supermarket type shop on Grahams road in Falkirk the other day

Been in that one a couple of times when I've been in the area.
Great for getting ingredients. Loads of stuff you won't get in a standard supermarket.

12 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I use these to make ramen burritos. 

The Mediterranean herb wraps from Lidl are great for it.

Put grated cheese, hot sauce and whatever else in.

Particularly enjoyable for hillwalking in the winter.

Stood in snow past the knee with a blizzard around and tanning something idiotically hot.

There's a 3x spicy variant but I've yet to source them.

1 hour ago, Derek Patterson said:

There's a 3x spicy variant but I've yet to source them.

They do the 2x as a hot sauce, which might be easier to get and you could drown some shit in it. I have some but haven’t been brave/stupid/drunk enough to spark it as yet

B92E5B90-933A-44A3-8B55-7C3DE5040D61.thumb.jpeg.6c17b423d25409b4ed73dfec187a33ba.jpeg

The hottest/spiciest thing I ever had was in a New York restaurant. It was a Mexican soup. Managed to have about a third of it - felt like my scalp was sweating and lost all feeling in my lips. Still convinced it was a kitchen prank on the Scots lad in the big city.

25 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

They do the 2x as a hot sauce, which might be easier to get and you could drown some shit in it. I have some but haven’t been brave/stupid/drunk enough to spark it as yet

B92E5B90-933A-44A3-8B55-7C3DE5040D61.thumb.jpeg.6c17b423d25409b4ed73dfec187a33ba.jpeg

I could actually get the noodles easy enough at Matthews in Dundee (though they disappeared for a few months) but could never find the sauce. Got it down in Staffordshire of all places a few months ago. Grabbed a couple bottles. Handy for firing up less interesting noodles too.

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Suicide bombing chicken that breathes fire & has a middle parting from the 90s.

Nice.