Staycation in Scotland or Ireland

Bairnardo

Prepared to consider Ireland aswell as the North/West /Isles of Scotland, but where I am needing help is with recommendations on where to go. Ideally I am looking for self catering cottages/lodges etc with stuff to do for kids (6 & 8 ). Ideally for them I want to do outdoorsy stuff like beaches, raking about forests/parks etc etc but not too far into the beyond as rain may necessitate seeking indoor opportunities.........

Anyone got any ideas?

If it's Ireland or even the Islands it's not a staycation.

Staycation is where you stay at home (the clue is in the name) and have a day here and there. It is not just because you don't go overseas.

22 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

recommendations on where to go.

Have you looked at Lewis/Harris? Stornoway would be a good base with good restaurants, cracking seafari boat trips, Stornoway Castle woods, and there's plenty of beaches to explore. 

On 08/04/2023 at 09:38, GordonD said:

If it's Ireland or even the Islands it's not a staycation.

Staycation is where you stay at home (the clue is in the name) and have a day here and there. It is not just because you don't go overseas.

Must remember to write to Oxford Press and advise them that their dictionary is incorrect.

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ardnamurchan is about as far into the beyond as you get on mainland UK. Fingers crossed for good weather then.

Yeah I'm fucked if I can't make good use of the various walks and get to the beaches 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2023 at 23:43, Bairnardo said:

Prepared to consider Ireland aswell as the North/West /Isles of Scotland, but where I am needing help is with recommendations on where to go. Ideally I am looking for self catering cottages/lodges etc with stuff to do for kids (6 & 8 ). Ideally for them I want to do outdoorsy stuff like beaches, raking about forests/parks etc etc but not too far into the beyond as rain may necessitate seeking indoor opportunities.........

Anyone got any ideas?

On 09/04/2023 at 22:38, Bairnardo said:

That said, I have settled on Ardnamurchan. 

Take the boat from Kilchoan to Tobermory and tell them they are in Balamory, and also a drive past the Monster Midge. Both of those should keep the kids happy.

The lighthouse should also appeal to a kids sense of adventure