Tinpot moments in Scottish politics

ICTChris

5 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

EbHIO6hWkAE0kar.jpg.69006c2a3b6c95e1fdd367df9ae3797e.jpg

I hesitate to give Johann Lamont a break but that quote is one of those that is snipped to be something it isn't.

I can't find the full Scotland Tonight interview but I have found a transcript and whereas here phrasing was awkward, her point was a half decent one.

Rona Dougall: Last week your social justice spokesperson Jackie Baillie said that the introduction of the so-called Bedroom Tax was nothing to do with the constitution. In an independent Scotland, would this policy ever have been introduced?

Johann Lamont: Well, certainly, I wouldn’t support it, Ed Miliband doesn’t support it. We see the indignity it’s created. My point about the Bedroom Tax, that’s about political choices. We can’t presume that that an independent Scotland somehow…

RD (interrupting): But it was introduced under Westminster rule, Johann

JL: Yes of course, but it could be introduced anywhere if people believed it was a good idea. We’re not genetically programmed in Scotland to make political decisions, we choose the world we want to live in. And we have to win the political argument. My frustration with this debate is the idea that by changing the constitution you presume that the arguments around equality, around justice around women’s rights have been won. They have not. You win them by political argument. And I think the fundamental..

RD (interrupting): But Holyrood doesn’t control welfare policy..

JL: No they don’t, but you would still, whether it was in Holyrood or not, you’d still have to win that political argument. I’ve fought the Tories all my life. I disagree profoundly with what they have done round the Bedroom Tax which is why we forced the Scottish Government not to use it as an opportunity to prosecute their case for independence but to use the powers that they have to mitigate it. That was the challenge that we forced up on them within the Scottish Parliament.

17 minutes ago, sophia said:

I hesitate to give Johann Lamont a break but that quote is one of those that is snipped to be something it isn't.

I'm not sure how even this

19 minutes ago, sophia said:

of course, but it could be introduced anywhere if people believed it was a good idea. We’re not genetically programmed in Scotland to make political decisions, we choose the world we want to live in.

makes her car-crash interview any less of a monumental piece of nonsense, tbh.

Far more serious subject than most on this thread but minister Joe Fitzpatrick turning up to make a statement on record drug deaths with his notes written on his hand in biro is pretty tinpot.

image.thumb.jpeg.2369be9a576d2975b2319fe4e9afb71f.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

I'm not sure how even this

makes her car-crash interview any less of a monumental piece of nonsense, tbh.

The explainer in the link does a decent job of putting it in context. Have a read and if you still hold the same view afterwards, that's ok.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Far more serious subject than most on this thread but minister Joe Fitzpatrick turning up to make a statement on record drug deaths with his notes written on his hand in biro is pretty tinpot.

image.thumb.jpeg.2369be9a576d2975b2319fe4e9afb71f.jpeg

If there were a tinpot minister, it would be him.

William "Billy" Wolfe's denouncing the pope's visit to Scotland.

He used to be the leader of the SNP!

It's hard to imagine someone with such intolerant religious views being elected to that position nowadays.