Tinpot moments in Scottish politics

ICTChris

13 minutes ago, George Cowley said:

...and I'm fairly sure she had a shot at being a Labour candidate too. Can't quite recall though whether that before or after being a Tory.

While a Conservative party member she criticised Alex Salmond as "hopelessly out of his depth" and "utterly naive" for his comments condemning NATO's intervention in Kosovo.[15]

In 2000, she resigned from the Conservatives in response to William Hague's "right wing" pronouncements on asylum seekers.[16] She briefly joined the Labour Party before declaring that she would join the Scottish National Party, and was welcomed as a 'defector'. "I am not an opportunist, I have changed political parties - so what?", Ahmed-Sheikh said at the time.[15] Salmond said he was "glad she had joined the party".[15]

10 minutes ago, George Cowley said:

...and I'm fairly sure she had a shot at being a Labour candidate too. Can't quite recall though whether that before or after being a Tory.

She did indeed.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/792414.stm

But let's reflect a little more on her time with the Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/may/04/gender.uk

For Ahmed-Sheikh, who has translated her manifesto into Urdu and Punjabi, the alternative is obvious. Labour has become complacent, the SNP is referendum-obsessed; Tory values are Asian values, she argues.

'The strong sense of the family unit, the desire to bring up children in a stable environment, that's very similar to Conservative family values. All those who came over here from the Asian nations 30 or 40 years ago had to sustain themselves without any handouts: if you wanted to put food on your family's table, you had to find a job.

oof-old-man.gif

What's her views nowadays? Who knows?

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Here's the Tory candidate for Central Fife in 1997

jacob-rees-mogg-1997.jpg

took some bottle for his nanny to chap the doors of hooses in Auchmuty, Tanshall and deepest darkest Methilhill......and introduce the no hoper tory walloper standing on the pavement outside the gate......lady deserved a medal.

On 11/04/2023 at 15:31, StellarHibee said:

Am I the only person that thinks George Galloway looks like a plastic caricature of what the real George Galloway is supposed to look like?

I get the plastic bit but I think it's more like a shitter version of Madame Tussaud's partially melted down another figure to try and get Elvis Costello. 

When you become US President you find out about the evidence on UFOs and the JFK assassination.

Become First Minister and SNP leader you get the full details on the Murrell Shaggin’ Wagon.

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Tommy. Speaking. With.  Dramatic. Pause. After. Every. Word.

Worst thing was it beamed across the UK. I was literally gringeing, Tommy certainly wasn't the best the yes side had whilst Gorgeous George probably was about the best the no side had tbf.

Edited by Trogdor

41 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Worst thing was it beamed across the UK. I was literally gringeing, Tommy certainly wasn't the best the yes side had whilst Gorgeous George probably was about the best the no side had tbf.

I used to like Galloway. Unfortunately he has lost the plot and talks absolute shite nowadays.

Was he not pro-independence at some point? I'm sure he spoke at a few events years ago in favour of independence. 

31 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I used to like Galloway. Unfortunately he has lost the plot and talks absolute shite nowadays.

Was he not pro-independence at some point? I'm sure he spoke at a few events years ago in favour of independence. 

He is - for everywhere, including the UK, except Scotland. There’s really nothing to like about him - he’s an attention-seeking cretin. He’s long since lost even the remnants of kudos he got for the overhyped w**k he had at the US Senate.

Galloway is, always has been, and always will be for Galloway, and nothing else. Will pretending to be a cat and licking Rula Lenska’s fingers get him some bank? He’ll do it. Will sucking far-right cock keep the grift going? He’s on his knees already. 

30 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

He goes wherever the grift is, he was pro EU until he saw how many votes Farage got in the EU Parliament election, then did a rapid reverse and stood on platforms alongside him for the Brexit referendum.

image.png.2a541685b3db76adab8639d25f5ca15f.png