Kelty Hearts v Alloa Athletic

Big game for Alloa here in the battle for a play-off spot. Losing back to back at home against fellow contenders was certainly a blow and in light of that and the games to come I'd say we probably need to win here. Indeed, losing at home to sides around us then failing to beat a team sitting 8th would suggest we hardly deserve to be in the play-offs anyway. That's not to say Kelty won't be tough - the recent draws against Falkirk and Dunfermline show that - but if Alloa want to be having a shot at promotion they need to step up here. 

I'd again like to see 4 2 3 1 with Taggart at RB (however hard that might be on Doyle) and with Church or Strachan at LB. But while second guessing Brian Rice is pretty much impossible, I'm pretty sure that won't happen. Regardless of the shape and personnel however, hopefully Alloa can give it a decent shot and not gift any goals. 

'Mon the Wasps. 

Yep , Its a must win, we are up against it and our 4th place is now very precarious

Kelty will be fairly relaxed and will obviously going for the win 

no Cock ups or we are in trouble 

hope the players show a bit of mettle .

Braw day here in Kelty , new beginnings happening so hopefully boys out on a show the day , not conceded since the Airdrie mauling but not scored either so not expecting a goal fest the day , Alloa need it more than us today which could work against them 

1-1 

Didn't look good with no Church on the bench and Strachan going off injured last week so think Taggs will still be at left back.

We were unlucky to lose last week, had enough chances to win but didn't take them plus some top saves from Queens keeper. If we play like we did last week, we should win today.

Tremendous result which puts us in a much stronger place for fourth spot, given Queens (heavily)and FC Edinburgh losing. 

I've always said big Conor should start every game! 😊 

Hopefully Durnan, Taggs and LD (and McIver/Scougs if they were subsituted because of injury) are fit ASAP.

Edited by printer

A lot of similarities to the second half last week in the game today as we pushed for a goal without creating too many clear cut chances. 

Despite 1 maybe 2 chances for Kelty I thought only 1 team really looked to win the game today and delighted for big Sammo getting the winner with a bullet header at the death (especially given his earlier miss). 

Will admit I was a little perplexed with Rankin coming on for MacIver rather than Sammon. 

Good to see Church back but can’t imagine it would have been in the plan for him to play the full 90 - seen both him and Strachan pulling up with their hamstrings near the end. More worrying would be the loss of Taggs though, but full credit to big Andy coming in out the cold and playing well. 

Pretty much a dream set of results for us elsewhere to keep us in pole position for (at least!) 4th. 

Should have painted my fence like I intended today but no went and watched this paint dry instead 😂 Alloa deserved it on overall play but Darge had a decent game and thought Hunter did ok when he came on , wonder if Potter would give Tidser an input into remaining games 

Best of luck in the playoffs Alloa as QoS showed us how bad they are today and we should get our obligatory 3 points last game 

Talk about leaving it late, 

41 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Best of luck in the playoffs

Not there yet but after last two games good win ,

Sammon keeping the guy behind the goal pretty quiet at the end after slagging him all second half  Belter .

1 minute ago, Vegetableman said:

Not there yet ...

Behave ... 6 point gap with 3 games left and a much better goal difference ... that's it finished for Queens now.

Well done Alloa. 👏

A dull game with defences comfortably on top for almost all the time. Neither side created much, but a great way to nick it at the death.

It's been a strangely mundane season and yet here we are in with a strong chance of making the top four.

Edited by Sixtyten

Alloa on the front foot for much of the game but that was expected given the circumstances of both teams. First half was good but looked like we were running out of ideas second half. Mikey Doyle easily our best player.

All about results and we got there in the end. A massive 3 points, Sammon had far from his best outing but he won us the points in the end.

29 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Behave ... 6 point gap with 3 games left and a much better goal difference ... that's it finished for Queens now.

Well done Alloa. 👏

Well its not but we need a minimum 7 points and even with 9 Alloa only need to win one of their last three. 

Our recovery was 2 or 3 weeks late and getting Dunfermline the day the title was there to win always looked defining.

Alloa probably deserved the win although Kelty might well feel they were worth the draw they almost got. It was a pretty hard watch and we looked disjointed, again felt the midfield lacked a real shape with that formation and we never flowed or got Scougall properly involved. Hard to understand too why we're still trying MacIver and Sammon as a pair at this stage of the season and once more it didn't work and made it too easy to punt balls towards them. Like Kevchenko I also felt the introduction of Rankin ahead of Cawley and Coulston was strange. Not his fault but we actually became more disjointed after he came on. 

This Alloa team could be much better given the players we have and it's probably a reflection on the league this season that we're now very much on course for fourth. Hard to be overly positive about how we would do in the play-offs and even more so the Championship if we were somehow to get there. But that's for another day. We are well placed now and reservations or not, it certainly felt good when Sammo got that goal! Great spirit from the team to keep going on what had been a frustrating afternoon. Have to hope Taggart isn't badly injured but seeing him hobbling and strapped up suggested he will be out in the short term at least. 

First time at Kelty and enjoyed it, really nice setup. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well its not but we need a minimum 7 points and even with 9 Alloa only need to win one of their last three. 

In other words ... yes it is (finished)  ... all bar the shouting ...

First trip to Kelty and got to say I enjoyed and a great set up there. Great to change ends at half time and enjoyed the craic with the Kelty guys we were standing beside.  All in good spirits as it should be .

A well deserved win as we certainly were on the front foot and showed ambition to win the match although Kelty had a better second half and created some decent openings.

A great winning goal from a player who should always start and has been , despite his critics , our most potent goal threat all season . In his two seasons Connor sammon has been excellent for us and his goal tally this season is the one of the reasons we are in the play off position. 

A lot of good performances today , stanger was excellent as was Robbo in the middle of the park were my standouts. Cawley coming on have us a boost in the game also. 

Special mention to Daniel Church who has got better as the season has progressed. He was badly missed over the past few weeks and is emerging as a good Alloa player . His crossing from the left has been a key strength. 

Onwards to next week and look forward to visiting Kelty again .

Owen