Why all the hate for the Scottish Championship?

19 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah, that’s pretty much how I see it too. The standard of footballer now than from 10 or so years ago at the same level, is laughable

Aye. We failed to get promoted with a side that had Jason Scotland, Steven Milne, Peter MacDonald and Stephen Dobbie as striking options, and had Martin Hardie hitting double figures for goals. Derek McInnes in that side too.

Thats squads probably better than what we have now aswell though, tbf.

i think football in general has changed.  I tend to find teams who are fucking rapid do well these days.  A lot of time better than teams who actually have better footballers in their side.

Look at England, they have pace all over the park and they're probably the best they've ever been (their controversial WC win aside).  You couldn't say that when they had guys like Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham etc playing for them.

Edit - Closer to home, take The Caley for example.  Our squad is slow as fuck, save for the on loan Jay Henderson, and objectively we're shite.

Edited by TheScarf

Perhaps it not so much a loss of quality of the players, but an evening of quality at a higher level. With modern training and nutrition, the athletic differences between players have been reduced. When we remember a star player, they stood out from a lower standard, and those players also all played in a very different game….2-3-5, 4-2-4, 3-3-4, the forward heavy formations that don’t suit todays flowing, counterattacking style game.

Edited by TxRover

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

i think football in general has changed.  I tend to find teams who are fucking rapid do well these days.  A lot of time better than teams who actually have better footballers in their side.

Look at England, they have pace all over the park and they're probably the best they've ever been (their controversial WC win aside).  You couldn't say that when they had guys like Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham etc playing for them.

To be fair most national teams have regressed massively whilst they have improved. 

ETA: Other nations are in a transitional period. Regression is probably harsh.

Edited by Pens_Dark

1 minute ago, Pens_Dark said:

To be fair most national teams have regressed massively whilst they have improved. 

Exactly.  They've improved because they have unreal pace everywhere and can absolutely murder teams on the counter. Whereas in previous incarnations that just wasn't the case.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Exactly.  They've improved because they have unreal pace everywhere and can absolutely murder teams on the counter. Whereas in previous incarnations that just wasn't the case.

Yes and no. They do have serious pace in their team but so do others. Their turn in fortunes is having a team that has played consistently with each other for a prolonged period in my opinion. Similar to Germany that won the world cup. Familiarity in your team mates go a long way. The likes of the Scholes, Gerrard era etc was that they were familiar with each other but domestic rivalry often got in the way. I don't think the same can be said about this group.

I know this doesn't relate too much to the Scottish Championship so I'll keep it tangible.

Another reason I think we don't do ourselves any favours is the way in which the Scottish game is marketed it's so fucking poor. The powers that be are happy to feed off the scraps of sky etc rather than making a case for actually improving. 

2 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Bang on.  Canny understand the love for teams nowhere near you in another country.....  Why not 'support' CSKA Moscow, or HJ Helsinki or whatever?  Mean about the same to me as ManUre, Liverpool or Arsenal.
Incidentally, I find the English Premiershit boring but the lower leagues in England are always good games, especially League 1 and 2.
The Championship in Scotland is Raiths 'natural' home and while it would be good for a wee jaunt up to play the bigot brothers and the Edinburgh mobs in the Scottish Premiershit, I prefer us in the Championship where WE can be competitive.  

Alshit Ferguscum. 

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Pumping kids full of PEDs from 12 years old will do that.

This is a shite "cycle" for football. The sooner we get back to pacey direct wingers and maverick attackers the better. Everything feels too controlled just now, too safe.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pumping kids full of PEDs from 12 years old will do that.

This is a shite "cycle" for football. The sooner we get back to pacey direct wingers and maverick attackers the better. Everything feels too controlled just now, too safe.

My word!

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Personally I love the 10 team league everyone always has something to play for right up until the very end. Couldn’t care less who we are playing either I am only interested in watching Arbroath, if it’s Cove for the 4th time on Saturday like it is for me this week or QoTS for the 2nd time this season I could not care less. Would rather have more meaningful games in a smaller division. All that matters to me personally. The competitiveness, which this league absolutely has in abundance, is what makes watching football entertaining for me.

“Meaningful” and “competitive” are the buzzwords wheeled out as an excuse for what is quite often turgid, negative football being played by teams scared to lose games in a small division.

Our second tier could be an 18-team league where Arbroath would likely be mid-table and have the freedom to try and play some more open football and introduce more youth players to the lineup. Surely you’d get enjoyment out of that? If you’d rather Arbroath were playing for 0-0 draws to try and escape relegation, then I guess that’s your prerogative, but it’s a preference I can’t agree with. The argument that games have less meaning in a larger league just doesn’t hold true imo.

I think a lot of peoples “hate” although i would say it is more disregard for the championship and scottish football is, as has been pointed out, the quality of football and the potential of playing the same teams 7 times a season. 
There is the possibility that because people have faster paced leagues like the epl, la liga etc pumped into our homes it is easy for people to dismiss the league. People that “support” they sort of teams, seem to see you as a footballing philistine for not supporting one of they sides, like you like football less because you don’t give two shits about the champions league. 
I personally like the championship, there is rarely a runaway winner or team that gets relegated early. I think the playoffs make it more exciting, and if i had my way they would have the same playoff system at the top as at the bottom, like league 1 and 2. Ideally it would be a bigger league, but the championship is a better league for excitement than it gets credit for. Love the fact that games are on a Friday night as well.

26 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

“Meaningful” and “competitive” are the buzzwords wheeled out as an excuse for what is quite often turgid, negative football being played by teams scared to lose games in a small division.

Our second tier could be an 18-team league where Arbroath would likely be mid-table and have the freedom to try and play some more open football and introduce more youth players to the lineup. Surely you’d get enjoyment out of that? If you’d rather Arbroath were playing for 0-0 draws to try and escape relegation, then I guess that’s your prerogative, but it’s a preference I can’t agree with. The argument that games have less meaning in a larger league just doesn’t hold true imo.

Absolutely not, I have no preference over the way football is played. I’ve enjoyed watching Dick Campbells direct baws fired upfront and playing for seconds last year as much as I enjoyed watching Paul Sheerins free flowing sexy soccer over a decade ago.

I enjoyed us playing like hammer throwers the second half of last season more than I enjoyed watching us playing good football but getting beat and relegated from League 1 under Sheerin too. 

The enjoyment comes from winning and results only. Meaningful and competitive definitely are not just buzzwords either, look at the difference in atmosphere and attendance at a pre season friendly or even the League Cup group stage games and a regular run of the mill league fixture with an important 3 points on the line. It’s not even the same game or spectacle and it definitely does not give you the same buzz or emotional up and downs which football is all about for me.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Someone will have to enlighten me about “Swampy”.

Some Morton supporting boy fucked off to Texas. Then went mental. Then disappeared from Pie and Bovril. He seems to think it’s you.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

For this to happen everyone's full backs would need to get much worse. I feel Ayr United are blazing a trail in this regard.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Some Morton supporting boy fucked off to Texas. Then went mental. Then disappeared from Pie and Bovril. He seems to think it’s you.

Seeing as I fucked off to Texas well before the World Wide Web, sorry. Not a Morton fan, not sorry.