Why all the hate for the Scottish Championship?

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Probably Ayr's most talismanic player over the last decade was signed from Girvan. He was instrumental in a 5-0 televised scudding of Premiership-bound big boys Dundee United at their own ground.

I stay in Girvan and watch the local team quite often. The best thing about grass-roots fitba is the fact that you've got 22 boys out there doing it because they love it. And in most cases, they're trying harder than the superstar zillion-pounds-a-week primadonnas.

4 hours ago, buchan30 said:

People that “support” they sort of teams, seem to see you as a footballing philistine for not supporting one of they sides, like you like football less because you don’t give two shits about the champions league. 

This ^^^^^^

I'm a joiner by trade, and I occasionally venture into Glasgow with my trade buddies as a working team. I'm a Morton fan, my apprentice is a Stranraer supporter, the plasterer's a Lichtie man, the plumber's a Queens supporter, and the sparky's a Killies fan. You go onto a site, the talk turns to fitba, and we're all looked at as though we're some kind of aliens.

So completing the post hat-trick and on a roll - another thing which is brilliant about the Championship. Can you honestly imagine any forum featuring fans of the bigots having a civilised discussion like this - talking respectfully and intelligently about actual fitba? I know that we all have banter and pish-taking and that every team has its own bangers on here, but there genuinely seems to be a 'we're all in this together' mentality amongst fans of most teams in the division, and to me, this section of P&B still represents the most balanced, knowledgeable and fair-minded fitba forum I've ever been on. I've lost count of the number of times I've read posts on here from completely gutted fans who've had the sportsmanship and respect to post 'Fair play to xxxxxxx, you deserved the win'. It's because Championship fans are real, proper supporters of the game. We know that our teams are often shite, we know that the bogs in our grounds are shite, we know that the pies are often stale and we know the Bovril's often skimped and tae weak, we know that (insert random complaint) - all of that. Potential promotion's always going to set the heart racing - but we should enjoy the real-life authenticity of this division all the time we're here. We're ordinary-man Scotland in 2023.

And besides - any of us who goes up is coming straight back down again anyway. The Scottish Championship. For ordinary Scots. It's Methadone-Mick-level brilliant. We're shite - but we're the epic Innes shite in Isa's bog pan. I love being a part of that massive turd.

Edited by Chippyminton

17 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Bang on.  Canny understand the love for teams nowhere near you in another country.....  Why not 'support' CSKA Moscow, or HJ Helsinki or whatever?  Mean about the same to me as ManUre, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Not really the same at all IMO - the amount of exposure the English teams get, including in the media as well as live games, makes it much easier to have an interest in an English club. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Not really the same at all IMO - the amount of exposure the English teams get, including in the media as well as live games, makes it much easier to have an interest in an English club. 

Exposure is not affinity.

And even then, affinity is usually a bad thing. For every St Pauli that wants to represent the masses, you've got Rangers and Celtic, representing the ongoing remnants of the 30 Years War.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Exposure is not affinity.

And even then, affinity is usually a bad thing. For every St Pauli that wants to represent the masses, you've got Rangers and Celtic, representing the ongoing remnants of the 30 Years War.

Exposure supports affinity.  

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Exposure supports affinity.  

I mean I suppose in the sense that if you support Celtic for long enough you start believing that you're Irish, but not in any helpful sense.

17 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

This ^^^^^^

I'm a joiner by trade, and I occasionally venture into Glasgow with my trade buddies as a working team. I'm a Morton fan, my apprentice is a Stranraer supporter, the plasterer's a Lichtie man, the plumber's a Queens supporter, and the sparky's a Killies fan. You go onto a site, the talk turns to fitba, and we're all looked at as though we're some kind of aliens.

Bang on. Having lived, studied and worked in Glasgow for the last 12 years I can attest to this. Whenever you answer the inevitable fitba about who you support question they just look at you totally blankly. Any mention of any team outside of the old firm doesn't register with them, or you're met with some kinda mildly dismissive  "aw aye, uhuh, that right? That's nice" response. On the flipside, I can't fathom how anybody can watch a team they grew up 2hrs drive away from, playing uncompetitive football for 10 games of out 11. 

The near contempt of that OF attitude unfortunately bleeds into some other sections of the wider Scottish football fanbase. It's shite because the teams are shite and nobody cares about them anyway. 

Tbh, I reckon the Championship is a brilliant league. It represents the best elements of rich football culture generally. You've got civic pride, sporting competitiveness and a feeling that you're part of a niche identity that you only get in supporting a lower league football club. That said, the quality is pretty variable year on year, and when it's rotten it really is rotten. But even when it is shite, the positives still apply. 

The championship is good anyway but the move to a Friday night live game (in english) has been brilliant. I love the odd Friday night game and having the option of a Championship game on the telly over a Premier League game from either Scotland or England is a no brainer for me.

The league itself has some decent quality but the competitiveness is the main selling point. If we could only find a way of ridding ourselves of the twa cheeks then the Premier League could be the same. What a product Scottish football would be if they could make that happen.

In the meantime, I'd be more than happy with Rovers being competitive for the promotion playoffs but ultimately staying in the Championship for the forseeable. Especially with they manky hoors fae Dunfermline re joining us next year :)

I like the Championship myself, certainly better with the playoff spots.  Don’t get me wrong I want us to go up and play the big boys sometime but as leagues go it’s decent banter between fans pre and post match you’ve got a mixture of support sizes from Hearts to Cove Rangers (I’ll exclude Rangers as that’s not likely again). There’s decent days out to Scottish towns and the odd city without the heavy handed stewarding / policing you’d get in the top tier. 

I don’t think it’s just the hatred of the championship, it’s total apathy in the Scottish game. Our game is absolutely awful. The arse pipe teams recruit foreigners, why the f**k would that scum sign Scots. The Country in itself is the Drug death capital of Europe, there isn’t a large pool of talent in the country to pluck from. All the decent Scots players left are either aging or injury prone, more the latter. Sorry I promised myself not to be negative😢

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

I don’t think it’s just the hatred of the championship, it’s total apathy in the Scottish game. Our game is absolutely awful. The arse pipe teams recruit foreigners, why the f**k would that scum sign Scots. The Country in itself is the Drug death capital of Europe, there isn’t a large pool of talent in the country to pluck from. All the decent Scots players left are either aging or injury prone, more the latter. Sorry I promised myself not to be negative😢

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

What’s being the drug death capital of Europe got to do with anything? you failed in the negativity promise, but  judging by that post I’m. guessing that the promise to talk in only non-sequiturs paid off so you’re even for the night. 

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Hiya Neil Doncaster, hiya pal.

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

x1080.thumb.jpeg.987db8530c94a6266ff2cc64f79f4c9c.jpeg