Peterhead v Clyde

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

It’s funny how it’s worked out as McGeever has been good for us too, although injured for the last few games. A proper no nonsense cb and a big improvement on Peter grant imo. 

Agree.  It’s staggering that Grant is as influential in L2 when, in L1, he, at times, looked like he didn’t know how to kick a ball properly.  Is the standard or pace that different?  Maybe he’s got better players around him, now, that let him relax.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

It’s funny how it’s worked out as McGeever has been good for us too, although injured for the last few games. A proper no nonsense cb and a big improvement on Peter grant imo. 

It's quite possibly down to the teams they are in too. With us at the top of the league, Grant has a bit more time on the ball and doesn't have to spend 90 minutes solely defending. Whereas in a relegation battle you need a guy like McGeever who will chuck himself in front of anything to stop a goal, and take absolutely no chances on the ball.

I'd also say there's a massive gulf in levels. You guys coming up against teams like Falkirk, Dunfermline and Airdrie is miles ahead of what League Two has to offer. I don't think any of the three teams I mentioned would lose a game in League Two this season. There's not a lot between all 10 teams, but the quality is pretty debatable - save for a few really good players like Charlie Reilly, Dale Carrick, Kane Hester and Tommy Goss.

Agreed it’s interesting the way Peter Grant seems to have performed at Dumbarton. He was far from that player with us, although the assessment that he hasn’t lost a header is very likely he is good at winning defensive headers. Other than that his lack of mobility was torture to watch. With no disrespect to L2 (we will very probably be there very soon) it probably suits his game now as teams may go more route one and as I say he is comfortable defending headers. He is also pretty vocal. 

As for his brother, Ray was the only success in the early part of our debacle of season.  Pre Christmas he was very good, Unfortunately injury has put him out for the season since then. 

9 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Agreed it’s interesting the way Peter Grant seems to have performed at Dumbarton. He was far from that player with us, although the assessment that he hasn’t lost a header is very likely he is good at winning defensive headers. Other than that his lack of mobility was torture to watch. With no disrespect to L2 (we will very probably be there very soon) it probably suits his game now as teams may go more route one and as I say he is comfortable defending headers. He is also pretty vocal. 

As for his brother, Ray was the only success in the early part of our debacle of season.  Pre Christmas he was very good, Unfortunately injury has put him out for the season since then. 

Shame about the injury if he was getting back to how he used to be! How's Kurtis Roberts been for you guys this season?

21 hours ago, WBR said:

Agree.  It’s staggering that Grant is as influential in L2 when, in L1, he, at times, looked like he didn’t know how to kick a ball properly.  Is the standard or pace that different?  Maybe he’s got better players around him, now, that let him relax.

As Jan more or less suggested there is a quantitative gap in quality between Leagues 1 & 2, one which I'll admit has been much greater than I had imagined.  We came close to winning the league but this has been the poorest title-chasing Sons side I have witnessed in 60 years of following the club.

Peter Grant has been very good for us, with the exception of one game where his normal left-back was absent.  But TBH League 2 is probably now his level.

46 minutes ago, Thebino45 said:

Shame about the injury if he was getting back to how he used to be! How's Kurtis Roberts been for you guys this season?

Thought he had a slow start, maybe down to fitness but since about October/November been our best player. 

31 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Thought he had a slow start, maybe down to fitness but since about October/November been our best player. 

Something else happened about that time which made a big difference.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Funny you say that as our squad is much fitter than last season! Defiantly down to previous manager so no coincident Roberts did pick up with fitness. Good wee player for sure