Celtic v Motherwell 22/4/23

3 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Not arguing the rights or wrongs of how teams try to bridge the gap when playing sides with massively more resources, but it's as if its the first time some of your fans have encountered diddies timewasting. It must happen at about 50 percent of your home games.

To be fair, Celtic fans probably don't see the opposition time-wasting all that often.   Lowly diddies like the 'Well know our place and are usually 1-0 down after 15 minutes, 2 or 3 down by half time.   We'd rather the ref just blew for full time and let us get on to the next match, and there's absolutely no point in prolonging the agony.

So when it happens and it works (though the ref added 9 minutes of extra time, so whether we truly wasted much time is up for debate) then there's just a hint of salt in the wound I'm sure.   A rare thing though.  

To play Devil's Advocate, it would have been wonderful if the Well had pushed on even more and got the win - Celtic weren't at their best and it was definitely feeling like one of those vanishingly rare occasions when we could have snuck a win if we scored... but there's every chance we'd have got picked off on a counter-attack, and we'd have had nothing to show for a decent effort.   And in the context of the league as it is, that point is precious.

The canny-take-it-ness from some Celtic fans (and let's be honest, it's a small minority - those I watched the game with were hugely complimentary about us) is obviously hilarious but I find it totally bewildering -there has been almost no jeopardy in their games since autumn, why get wound up over what is a total irrelevance?

P33 W30 D2 L1 GD79 is something you'd expect in a pub league rather than the top-flight of a semi-respectable football nation.

Rostok's point is probably fair - while rangers win almost every week, they're at a level where the games often have a bit of competitiveness about them, at least for a while.

Fair play to Celtic for being brilliant but it means the vast majority of their domestic games have long stopped being even the pretence of a sporting contest.

On here anyway, there's generally been an understanding that Celtic can't win every game and an acceptance they weren't at their best or clinical enough yesterday. Going by the boos at the end of the game that understanding is still lacking in some and elements in social media seem to back that up. Google Chrome was trying to push a blog post on me this morning saying the referee was complicit with any attempts to waste time. 

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

On here anyway, there's generally been an understanding that Celtic can't win every game and an acceptance they weren't at their best or clinical enough yesterday. Going by the boos at the end of the game that understanding is still lacking in some and elements in social media seem to back that up. Google Chrome was trying to push a blog post on me this morning saying the referee was complicit with any attempts to waste time. 

Beaton was pretty useless yesterday tbh. I was laughing at him as Maeda won a corner and he had no idea if it was a corner or bye so looked at his linesman for a heads up which didn't come then just seen delayed and waited to see where the players went to so just went with the flow. As for the time wasting etc yes he should have clamped down on it as Kelly especially was at it but referees very rarely do tbh.

10 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

So, OF fans dislike wee diddy teams for not rolling over easily, and also dislike them CAUSE SCODDISH FITBA ISNAE CHALLENGING ENUFF. No wonder we all love 'em. 

Is there is a single post on this thread from a Celtic fan that suggests that?

Edited by Jinky67

9 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

You looked at the chaps quoted in the above posts, yes?

So your opinion is based on what a chap on Twitter says? Bit of a generalisation mate considering pretty much all fans on here kind of agree the result was a fair one 

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I appreciate the type of Celtic fans who sit and write this type of stuff isn’t reflective of the whole support, but f**k me 😂 check the nick of this. 

My favourite thing from the weekend.

closely followed by the PnB celtic fans trying to prove they're not that bothered.

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

My favourite thing from the weekend.

closely followed by the PnB celtic fans trying to prove they're not that bothered.

Maybe you haven’t noticed but we extended our lead this weekend against Rangers.

1 win from the title how bothered would you be in that position? 🤣

Edited by Jinky67

This is the article Google Chrome was trying to push on me this morning. Similar stuff. Don't know whether this is the general feeling of the Celtic support (not particularly on here admittedly) or whether they know their audience and are essentially clickbait.

https://videocelts.com/2023/04/blogs/latest-news/john-beaton-and-liam-kelly-team-up-to-deny-celtic/

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Maybe you haven’t noticed but we extended our lead this weekend against Rangers.

1 win from the title how bothered would you be in that position? 🤣

Yeah, we get it mate. you're not bothered.

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

This is the article Google Chrome was trying to push on me this morning. Similar stuff. Don't know whether this is the general feeling of the Celtic support (not particularly on here admittedly) or whether they know their audience and are essentially clickbait.

https://videocelts.com/2023/04/blogs/latest-news/john-beaton-and-liam-kelly-team-up-to-deny-celtic/

That's a belter.