Post split fixtures

If tinkering with the format of a league in order to artificially create 'meaningful' games worked then the Scottish top flight would be the most competitive and exciting league in Europe. The fact that it's the exact opposite tells you all you need to know about 10 team leagues, 12 team leagues, splits and everyone playing each other four times.  Away with this nonsense and have 18 teams playing home and away ..or carry on with the same garbage to infinity...?

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

If tinkering with the format of a league in order to artificially create 'meaningful' games worked then the Scottish top flight would be the most competitive and exciting league in Europe. The fact that it's the exact opposite tells you all you need to know about 10 team leagues, 12 team leagues, splits and everyone playing each other four times.  Away with this nonsense and have 18 teams playing home and away ..or carry on with the same garbage to infinity...?

There are two very obvious reasons that our league isn't competitive, and neither are the split.

14 hours ago, ropy said:

Rangers to lose a Saturday match so that Celtic don’t get to celebrate on the pitch and start their Sunday away game as champions.

And thereafter the tedious debate about a guard of honour for the champions will be the burning issue in the MSM until the next Ugly Sisters derby

2 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Given that the number of permutations reduces week by week surely they should have had the fixture lists/options primed and ready to go as of final whistle yesterday 

Far too sensible. You’ll never make it as a football administrator in Scotland.

8 minutes ago, d31 said:

What swaps need to happen to balance out the fixtures then?

I'm assuming Aberdeen are going to get the games we are expecting?

Appreciate its a different issue but as I'm heading out next week to see Austria Vienna vs Sturm Graz I  thought I would check out the Austrian league split which seems more fair than our version.

12 teams like ours.

In short , each team plays each other twice before the winter break.  The split then occurs with top 6 playing each other  twice again and the bottom 6 doing the same.

This ensures no anomalies of 3 at home and 1 away.

Slight downside is that ' slow burner' teams can be consigned to bottom half before their form picks up which in our system allows them to still get a top 6 berth.

12 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Appreciate its a different issue but as I'm heading out next week to see Austria Vienna vs Sturm Graz I  thought I would check out the Austrian league split which seems more fair than our version.

12 teams like ours.

In short , each team plays each other twice before the winter break.  The split then occurs with top 6 playing each other  twice again and the bottom 6 doing the same.

This ensures no anomalies of 3 at home and 1 away.

Slight downside is that ' slow burner' teams can be consigned to bottom half before their form picks up which in our system allows them to still get a top 6 berth.

I think our system is better than that, to be honest.

Being stuck in seventh with nothing to play for for the last 3 months or so of the season would be pish. All because you're a point behind another team in December?

The split is good, I think. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want teams in direct competition having games against each other at the end of the season.

As to whether it's 'fair', well, loads of things about fitba aren't 'fair'. Celtic have a team worth millions of pounds and Ross County don't ,but we all just accept that.

50 minutes ago, Estragon said:

How on earth are we approaching 48hrs since the Saturday FTs and we still don't have these fixtures out? It's so frustrating. 

I’d guess they need to get the club’s input, Sky’s approval and probably run them past plod too. 

Add into that that many people will have had Sunday off and spent a significant amount of time sleeping, eating and going to the toilet since then, and I don’t think the whole 48 hours will have been fully utilised on this incredibly urgent and time critical emergency situation.

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I’d guess they need to get the club’s input, Sky’s approval and probably run them past plod too. 

Add into that that many people will have had Sunday off and spent a significant amount of time sleeping, eating and going to the toilet since then, and I don’t think the whole 48 hours will have been fully utilised on this incredibly urgent and time critical emergency situation.

I accept that there is legwork to be done on this, but it shouldn't be beyond the authorities to have versions of the fixtures drawn up for the different eventualities.

The clubs' input is irrelevant unless they have a declared issue like a stadium renovation or major roadworks outside the stadium on a certain day. They don't get to pick their games.

Sky would take two minutes to deal with as their objectives are fairly obvious, and the police just need to sign off on each of the versions being agreeable (which is their fucking job).

No real reason for there not to be fixtures out on Monday morning to allow people to get on with planning their lives.

Edited by VincentGuerin

40 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I accept that there is legwork to be done on this, but it shouldn't be beyond the authorities to have versions of the fixtures drawn up for the different eventualities.

The clubs' input is irrelevant unless they have a declared issue like a stadium renovation or major roadworks outside the stadium on a certain day. They don't get to pick their games.

Sky would take two minutes to deal with as their objectives are fairly obvious, and the police just need to sign off on each of the versions being agreeable (which is their fucking job).

No real reason for there not to be fixtures out on Monday morning to allow people to get on with planning their lives.

Also, no real reason to have fixtures out on Monday morning. 

They'll be out. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Also, no real reason to have fixtures out on Monday morning. 

They'll be out. 

Apart from being and appearing to be professional, and being as helpful as possible to your fans/customers, you're absolutely right.

I'm sure many of us can think of examples from our own work where we've had to plan for different scenarios. It's just amateurish to not have them out.

And, for those of us who travel, it does make a difference.

13 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

The beaks are likely reviewing their decision to promise AFC a home fixture on 13th May for Gothenburg 40 weekend.

Bit of an advantage really if that agreement means we cant play Celtic in the first game. Boost.

57 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Exactly. Particularly as come the final weekend the number of permutations is limited 

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Sky would take two minutes to deal

Yep. Last match of season, 3rd Vs 4th winner takes all? Nahhh....dead rubber between 7th and already-crowned Celtic 

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

I'm sure we're all keen to see the fixtures but I'm not sure there's any real prejudice to anyone in having them released at 4pm rather than 10am. You've still got almost a full fortnight until the first fixture.

Conversely, they've had weeks to plan and agree around a limited number of permutations