The most famous TV character of all time

scottsdad

54 minutes ago, coprolite said:

In terms of numbers, probably some guy in China or India that we've barely heard of. 

He's not Chinese or Indian but Mr Bean is absolutely massive in Asia and China in particular. Some years ago I was waiting for a flight in an airport somewhere in China and Mr Bean was showing on TV screens. Everyone was glued to the screens and some people were literally rolling about laughing in the floor. Quite a bizarre experience really.

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

My first thought was also Homer Simpson. 

Micky Mouse must be top 5.

If there is an answer to this question then taking account of a worldwide audience it is almost certainly going to be a cartoon character.

7 minutes ago, Northboy said:

He's not Chinese or Indian but Mr Bean is absolutely massive in Asia and China in particular. Some years ago I was waiting for a flight in an airport somewhere in China and Mr Bean was showing on TV screens. Everyone was glued to the screens and some people were literally rolling about laughing in the floor. Quite a bizarre experience really.

The one where he makes a sandwich on the bench is brilliant.

2 hours ago, Northboy said:

The most popular TV character for deaf people as well. It's a show that really can go worldwide as there is almost no talking.

I had suggested Tom and Jerry, but thinking about it they were out well before TV, with the same for Bug Bunny, Batman and Superman. They were not originally created for TV, whereas Homer J Simpson was born on TV. So, I’m going to change my suggestion to Homer J.

On 28/04/2023 at 09:36, scottsdad said:

How J.R. Ewing Won the Cold War

It's an age thing, I guess. JR Ewing was possibly the biggest TV character in the 80s, but sort of vanished after that. If you're younger than 35 you might never have heard of him. 

He did get a mention on "Pointless" a few years ago.

Spoiler

An attempted answer to "Who was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas?"