League Cup 2023-24

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Two years ago: The new, additional slot in the group stage will be taken this year by East Kilbride, who finished as runners-up in the Lowland League this season. This follows the drawing of lots between East Kilbride and Fraserburgh, the Highland League runners-up.

One year ago: The additional slot will be taken by Highland League runners-up Buckie Thistle, following a decision by the SPFL Board, as the Lowland League were given the extra place last season.

Today: Cowdenbeath, who were relegated from cinch League 2 in 2022 and finished 15th in the Lowland League, have accepted an invitation to take the remaining space in this year’s first round group stage.

(I added the bit in bold)

"We've pulled this out of our arses behind closed doors, as usual".

Wonder if there'll end up being some meagre compo handed out over this.

3 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Surely they'd say if that was the reason?  Also I think we had a few red cards so would be surprised if we were the best in the league.

I'd say it's because we've got the best programme in the Lowland/Highland League.

Could be for Lowland League side which has played in most LC semi finals.

1 minute ago, tazz1903 said:

Can anyone explain why this cup has seeded draws? 🤨

I can't explain why, but the League Cup and all its variations have had some form of seeding for absolutely ages.

It was due to be the Lowland League runners up who took the extra spot this year because they've been rotating it between the highland and Lowland league. The justification might be 2nd and 3rd in the Lowland were b teams and not eligible but it should really have gone to Stirling uni in 4th. Hopefully they didn't budget for getting in. 

Edited by Buckets

This seems absolutely bizzare to let Cowdenbeath in. 

SPFL getting jealous of the shits show the SFA have been getting into. Hopefully the clubs were consulted before the SPFL blazers just went ahead and brought a random team in to receive SPFL cash.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's an SPFL competition and they reserve the right to invite whoever they want, so no.

Aye, I know; I was meaning if there was enough ill feeling over such an odd decision. Offer the runners-up a few quid to shut them up.

Regardless, it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when that decision was taken. I presume the clubs didn't get together and decide just to draft Cowden in because f**k Buckie.

5 hours ago, Parscelona said:

The opportunity to batter Cowden one more time before they inevitably cease to exist? Sign me up.

It will be amusing if Cowdenbeath beat Dunfermline if they are drawn in the same group now after you saying that.