Conference League: Premiership fans' views?

Surprised there’s not a thread about this on the Premiership forum.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the proposed Conference League at level 5 of the Scottish Pyramid? I think there’s a lot of anger over this further down the leagues, and I’m wholly against the plan, which in my view would affect the whole of Scottish football, not just teams in the lower levels.

But am I missing something? Is mine a kneejerk reaction to a new concept? Are there any positives in placing a league containing B teams and some Highland and Lowland League clubs in below the present League Two?

Even though I'm not personally against b teams the idea of nearly half the league having them sounds shit. We also don't need another national league any time soon either. There's already been a fair bit of upheaval in the leagues so don't think such a radical change is needed again right now.

Edited by gannonball

Against it, it's a load of shite. We should be looking at making the SPFL leagues bigger and getting rid of one, not adding more for the sake of it

Edited by ATLIS

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Surprised there’s not a thread about this on the Premiership forum.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the proposed Conference League at level 5 of the Scottish Pyramid? I think there’s a lot of anger over this further down the leagues, and I’m wholly against the plan, which in my view would affect the whole of Scottish football, not just teams in the lower levels.

But am I missing something? Is mine a kneejerk reaction to a new concept? Are there any positives in placing a league containing B teams and some Highland and Lowland League clubs in below the present League Two?

I see it as two goals. Rangers and Celtic have been pushing for their b teams to get in the leagues for ages. Smaller teams don't want to drop into the highland league.

There is nothing really worthwhile about it for B teams imo. The SPFL should have nipped this in the bud and made a mandatory youth reserve league.

To me the effect is going to be either the end of the highland league or it will go back to being its own thing and not in the pyramid. Junior football in all but name.

I actually think it'll harm the chances of some players.

Teams will have to have 20+ players playing very low level football. These players can't win the league below where they'll be placed.

Players that would be released or on loan at bottom 6 or championship teams will have to hang around having no chance of progression.

They would only work against full time teams but why would you ruin the championship.

Id say "get it in the sea", but theres far too much shite getting pumped in there just now anyway.

Absolute shite and if Utd got involved they could ram it.

Apart from anything else I don't even know why Rangers and Celtic want it. The clubs they are competing with for talent can offer more than games against Edinburgh Uni. 

I didn't mind B Teams when there was no pyramid. Eg Stranraer B helping make the SOSFL viable or Hibs B in the EOSFL but not now. 

A quarter of Celtic B squad aren''t Scottish (6 out of 23) and Rangers B have at least 4 non Scots, so unless these players don't play, there's no way it'll benefit Scottish football like what they claim. The majority of the lower leagues don't want B teams and they make a mockery of The Challenge Cup and are often knocked out in the early rounds.

As an aside, hopefully Spartans will be dumped by Brechin as they ware in support of B teams in the Lowland League.

I would like to think that fan owned St Mirren and Motherwell will vote against this abomination. It dilutes the pyramid for the perceived benefit of the bigot twins. There are zero pros to this ridiculous idea

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Even though I'm not personally against b teams the idea of nearly half the league having them sounds shit. We also don't need another national league any time soon either. There's already been a fair bit of upheaval in the leagues so don't think such a radical change is needed again right now.

So you're not against B teams as long as only Celtic and Rangers have them.

f**k B teams get them in the bin.

27 minutes ago, Empty It said:

So you're not against B teams as long as only Celtic and Rangers have them.

f**k B teams get them in the bin.

Nope, I just think a new league with only 10 teams and 4 of them being b teams is a terrible idea. I don't really have a strong enough opinion on b teams tbh ,I get why people wouldn't want them in their league. Parachuting them in to a new national league above the regional leagues is also wrong.

Edited by gannonball

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

Which forum has the best chat on this?

I see your point, but too many supporters seem either in the dark about the proposals, or complacent regarding the situation.

And B teams have been affecting sides in the upper leagues for a time, a couple of years ago two young United players were offered terms to join one of the OF B clubs with a view to playing in the Lowland League, under a promise of progression into the first team squads if they performed well.

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

I would like to think that fan owned St Mirren and Motherwell will vote against this abomination. It dilutes the pyramid for the perceived benefit of the bigot twins. There are zero pros to this ridiculous idea

Constitution already written up and there's apparently to be no vote on it by clubs so looks like a done deal by all accounts.