Conference League Good Guys List

Ray Patterson

3 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Your not sure what your involvement is apart from being one of the teams?

Remember this was a done deal not that long ago.

Until there is evidence this just looks like someone supporting the Conference is telling lies about whom is backing it.

32 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

That was the thing the Cowdenbeath fans always ignored. "We had to vote for the B Teams this year cos the SFA would just set up a league for this season". They could in theory set up any league they like but without a mechanism for promotion and relegation into and from the SPFL, SHFL and SLFL there would be no point. Quite why they thought the SFA would be able to railroad the 3 leagues into accepting that is anyone's guess.

I thought the view now debunked was that the SFA couldn’t set up a new league?!  But seems most were wrong about that - and CFC perfectly well understood the agreement between the leagues.  

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Thank you for that link........which backs up word for word what I just said.

ie they weren't formally behind proposing this....they were invited to join as the fourth club and rejected it, as per my previous post.

10 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Thank you for that link........which backs up word for word what I just said.

ie they weren't formally behind proposing this....they were invited to join as the fourth club and rejected it, as per my previous post.

Have you seen the actual resolution to see who is proposing it (not the explanatory note)? I suspect that it is an SFA Board resolution, which would be why Maxwell has been doing the rounds seeking support and not Celtic Rangers or Hearts.

Aberdeen says all 42 SPFL clubs were invited. That wouldn't be the case if Hearts or any other club was proposing it.

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Have you seen the actual resolution to see who is proposing it (not the explanatory note)? I suspect that it is an SFA Board resolution, which would be why Maxwell has been doing the rounds seeking support and not Celtic Rangers or Hearts.

Aberdeen says all 42 SPFL clubs were invited. That wouldn't be the case if Hearts or any other club was proposing it.

Are you seriously suggesting the SFA came up with this idea all on their own?  I'm not sure they are even capable of coming up with a suggestion like that.  Clearly this is all being satisfied satisfy two clubs at the very least and likely Hearts too - all three are huge proponents and are champing at the bit to do this.

If say Arbroath, Annan and Stirling Albion - to randomly select three smaller clubs were the ones wanting this conferences and the Old Firm and Hearts were dead against it, would the SFA still have come up with this magical idea and be such proponents.....even though we all (well mostly all) know that the SFA are not the brains behind this. 

40 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I thought the view now debunked was that the SFA couldn’t set up a new league?!  But seems most were wrong about that - and CFC perfectly well understood the agreement between the leagues.  

Just like when they told everyone that the ERJL was going to be entered alongside the East of Scotland League whether they liked it or not as it was all a "done deal"? We've all heard this man's pish before

10 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Are you seriously suggesting the SFA came up with this idea all on their own?  I'm not sure they are even capable of coming up with a suggestion like that.  Clearly this is all being satisfied satisfy two clubs at the very least and likely Hearts too - all three are huge proponents and are champing at the bit to do this.

If say Arbroath, Annan and Stirling Albion - to randomly select three smaller clubs were the ones wanting this conferences and the Old Firm and Hearts were dead against it, would the SFA still have come up with this magical idea and be such proponents.....even though we all (well mostly all) know that the SFA are not the brains behind this. 

Alternatively, the SFA asked the PWG to come up with options which would subsequently be put to the member clubs, thus making it a Board resolution.

I fully accept that the OF and possibly Hearts have been pushing for such an outcome.  

As far as Hearts are concerned, I think they only took the B Team route when clubs failed to agree on a Reserve or Development League for 2022/23 as their youths had nowhere else to play (a limited Reserve League was subsequently created a few weeks after the start of the LL season).

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

You don’t accidentally become ‘one of the teams’.   By agreeing to be so you accept the negative consequences and stump up a fee for nothing more than your self-interest,  a poorly analysed self-interest at that.

Formally I don’t see who has proposed this, but my suspicion is the SFA board/Maxwell with the 3/4 scumbag clubs not officially announced, but it would have never have come up without certain shitty clubs wanting it.

Yes, I am aware that it is no accident. Hearts (along with the Old Firm) obviously wanted a B team in the pyramid and are clearly happy to be part of the Conference League. Without the three clubs being part of this, the idea would fall apart. The Lowland League also have some share of the blame by accepting B teams in the first place and opening the door to ideas like this.

What worries me more than anything about this whole idea is, as you mentioned, that this feels like those running the game are driving it (or, at the very least, actively supporting it). If this was simply a couple of clubs pushing it then it could be rejected and go away but I don't think this will be over after the rejection of the Conference League.

Edited by stanley

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Just like when they told everyone that the ERJL was going to be entered alongside the East of Scotland League whether they liked it or not as it was all a "done deal"? We've all heard this man's pish before

A board directive was the terminology used. Only problem was that there was nothing in the AoA that gave that any teeth. If this whole episode does anything it has been to highlight that the nonleague diddys hold a majority of votes at the SFA AGM once the SJFA, SoSFA, EoSFA, NoSFA, Aberdeenshire FA, and W&DFA votes are added to the 50 non-SPFL full member clubs.

I reckon you will a see a few clubs come out, who may previously have been yes, against it. They’ve waited to the last minute to see which way it was going and will now declare to allow them to be on the winning side.

Edited by Pyramid Watcher

45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Alternatively, the SFA asked the PWG to come up with options which would subsequently be put to the member clubs, thus making it a Board resolution.

I fully accept that the OF and possibly Hearts have been pushing for such an outcome.  

As far as Hearts are concerned, I think they only took the B Team route when clubs failed to agree on a Reserve or Development League for 2022/23 as their youths had nowhere else to play (a limited Reserve League was subsequently created a few weeks after the start of the LL season).

You could well be right concerning the SFA. I just think it all seems a tad fishy.

What disappoints me most about Hears is that they could have started at the bottom and worked their way up the pyramid on merit.

Infact If they had done that a few seasons back when there were Conferences, it would have been far easier to have made rapid progress, were they to have been succesful on the field of course.

7 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

You could well be right concerning the SFA. I just think it all seems a tad fishy.

What disappoints me most about Hears is that they could have started at the bottom and worked their way up the pyramid on merit.

Infact If they had done that a few seasons back when there were Conferences, it would have been far easier to have made rapid progress, were they to have been succesful on the field of course.

I'm not sure the EoS would have accepted them. I believe the last time they accepted any new B teams into the league was in 2013 after the formation of the Lowland League. Spartans and Stirling University left behind reserve sides, Hibs came in for one season only and Berwick had their last of a four season spell in the league. Since then, Spartans have gone and Stirling University remain just because they were already in the league. 

If allowed in, they certainly wouldn't have been allowed promotion to the Lowland League. 

Edited by stanley

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

As has been said, the PWG played no part in this proposal, it was presented to the PWG as three options of which two were already ruled out.

Edited by Burnieman

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

What's been debunked? nothing has been debunked.

54 minutes ago, stanley said:

What worries me more than anything about this whole idea is, as you mentioned, that this feels like those running the game are driving it (or, at the very least, actively supporting it). If this was simply a couple of clubs pushing it then it could be rejected and go away but I don't think this will be over after the rejection of the Conference League.

As long as Maxwell remains in post, this will not go away.

My guess is that once it's punted they will concoct a further plan, this time for a 16 team Conference, and go back to AGM next year, or call an EGM.

They will not listen, they will not hold their hands up and start engaging constructively with all leagues/clubs to move the Pyramid forward.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

As long as Maxwell remains in post, this will not go away.

My guess is that once it's punted they will concoct a further plan, this time for a 16 team Conference, and go back to AGM next year, or call an EGM.

They will not listen, they will not hold their hands up and start engaging constructively with all leagues/clubs to move the Pyramid forward.

I think the SFA will now go in the huff, and nothing will happen for a few years.

7 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Where does it say that the board in exercising its agreed powers needs direction and ratification?  Not really a real board if it needs to ask can it do something which it is empowered to do and then subsequently has to get it rubber stamped by the members.  The board  actually are decision makers.  Members may not like their decisions but either have to accept them or subsequently seek to gain agreement to reverse said decision which may require seeking to vote out board members 

So once again, why was the WoSFL and the NCL required to be voted on by members at AGM?  they were nodded through by members in 30 seconds, it was not a contentious issue.

If the SFA Board have such power as claimed, why did they waste everyone's time?

1 minute ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I think the SFA will now go in the huff, and nothing will happen for a few years.

Oh they'll go in the huff that's for sure, but it won't be allowed to drop unless the OF admit defeat.

15 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

So once again, why was the WoSFL and the NCL required to be voted on by members at AGM?  they were nodded through by members in 30 seconds, it was not a contentious issue.

If the SFA Board have such power as claimed, why did they waste everyone's time?

Points have already been well covered - not here to answer ah but questions ad infinitum.  A new league can be created without SFA members voting.