John Beaton X1 v Aberdeen

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ha, don’t worry I wouldn’t have taken it that way in any case. 

I don’t agree with Robson’s VAR comments but the point is genuine. Is it not odd to you that it wasn’t seen as a foul at all? Even the linesman doesn’t flag for anything. It’s utterly baffling for me. 

Again, I don’t buy the overt bias arguments, but I do believe there’s a subconscious bias in decision making with the old firm. That they take the easy life at times. 

Aye, it’s a foul.

I think I’ve also said similar on here before, in that I believe there are pressure factors that will influence the decision of a referee in various scenarios that lead to mistakes rather than it being a case of bias.

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, it’s a foul.

I think I’ve also said similar on here before, in that I believe there are pressure factors that will influence the decision of a referee in various scenarios that lead to mistakes rather than it being a case of bias.

Aye, the pressure not to upset the home support than to actually make the correct decision. Beaton should not have been anywhere near this fixture given his well known allegiances and how often he gets this fixture. 

11 minutes ago, Huisdean50 said:

Aye, the pressure not to upset the home support than to actually make the correct decision. 

Kind of what I was getting at, though not exactly.

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I thought it was actually a fairly similar approach to the one we took at Pittodrie, with a lot of the same qualities. We certainly had better chances today than we did a couple of weeks ago - backed up by a slightly higher xG of 1.19 today compared to 0.94 at Pittodrie (with Rangers also down from 1.90 at Pittodrie to 1.45). That doesn't tell the full story, of course, but at least gives an indication. 

The main difference between the games and performances was that we managed to score two goals at Pittodrie, one highly fortuitous and the other an extremely well-executed but relatively low-percentage chance. But we didn't score any today despite actually creating a better quality of opportunity. 

To quote a famous Danish philosopher, "'statistics are like mini-skirts .. they give you good ideas but hide the most important parts".

I can't argue with the 'xG' because I don't know what it's measuring, how it's measuring it, if it's subject to bias and if it's an appropriate measure for your argument.

I do know that although we didn't score today, we did score the opening goal on our previous visit and it didn't make any difference to the outcome.

We lack belief to take points on a regular basis from Glasgow. Indeed, we lack belief to take points on regular basis from Glasgow's dynamic duo in Aberdeen.

Yes they have better players, and multiple substitutions can expose the limitations of your squad; however, I still think we should be doing better in head-to-heads against both cheeks.

I would agree that there was a significant amount good fortune when we beat Sevco at Pittodrie,  namely the Scales thunderbolt, and the away side missing sitters (although we missed a few good opportuniutes ourselves); however, I felt that day that once we got our noses in front, the players took the energy from the home crowd which gave them the belief that they could get over the line.

Just like in the previous home match against them when we lost two late goals, the nervousness of the crowd and their own manager led to a collective self-doubt in the team which presented the opportunity for the late collapse.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Youve not conceded a penalty all season.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Aye, it’s a foul.

With VAR at in use, do can 2 officials use that as an excuse? You've even had teams getting penalties at parkhead.

Definitely not hinting at a conspiracy theory, more leaning towards what you are saying. Officials are shitebags, in particular at ibrox.

What is the worst that is going to happen if they award a penalty or send someone off? They aren't going to get a doing. They'll get booed (like they do every other ground) and that will be that.

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

What is the worst that is going to happen if they award a penalty or send someone off? They aren't going to get a doing. They'll get booed (like they do every other ground) and that will be that.

Has it even been a month since Kevin Clancys address was posted online and he started getting sent death threats through the door?

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Aye, it’s a foul.

Do you think it was just coincidence that during covid when there were no crowds allowed in the grounds, neither Celtic or Rangers made the semifinals of either cup competition? 

What's weird to me about that incident with Duk is that he doesn't seem to make anything of it at all? It looks an absolutely blatant foul, and fair enough he tries to get up and play on, but when the ball goes out of play he doesn't seem to make any sort of appeal?

Admittedly I've only seen a short clip and maybe he goes mental shortly thereafter.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

What's weird to me about that incident with Duk is that he doesn't seem to make anything of it at all? It looks an absolutely blatant foul, and fair enough he tries to get up and play on, but when the ball goes out of play he doesn't seem to make any sort of appeal?

Admittedly I've only seen a short clip and maybe he goes mental shortly thereafter.

I wondered the same thing - players shouldn't need to go down like a ton of bricks and roll over 3 times to get  referee to make a decision but you can kind of see why they do it. I'd imagine Duk will be told to act like a normal player next time.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youve not conceded a penalty all season.

They've committed at least three penalty fouls this season, possibly more, but none of them were given. And all of these after the VAR was in place.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

They've committed at least three penalty fouls this season, possibly more, but none of them were given. And all of these after the VAR was in place.

Aye the chances of a team not conceding a single penalty over 38 games is astronomically low. Combination of bad luck, bad player decisions and bad refereeing decisions make it so.

But aye.

10 hours ago, AJF said:

Aye, it’s a foul.

Lol.

Just L O L 

37 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Several opposition fans (and Willie Miller) are quick to say Duk goes down too easily. Certainly wasn’t the case here.