Stranraer 2023-24

On 09/02/2024 at 22:24, GallowayBlue said:

Great to see a testimonial announced for Grant and Robbo.

Hopefully not in a season which ends in relegation...

Not sure who chooses the opponent, but please no Celtic/Rangers nonsense.

Twente, or even better, Twente away!

Twente at Stair Park would be great. Went to the friendly game a few years back and it was one of the best days out I've had as a neutral. Cracking day weather wise, a buzz about the town and plenty of Twente fans in a party atmosphere. Good game as well from what I remember and a few players who'd played at/are playing at a great level. Jensen from Aberdeen was playing that day

On 11/02/2024 at 18:32, Thereisalight.. said:

Twente at Stair Park would be great. Went to the friendly game a few years back and it was one of the best days out I've had as a neutral. Cracking day weather wise, a buzz about the town and plenty of Twente fans in a party atmosphere. Good game as well from what I remember and a few players who'd played at/are playing at a great level. Jensen from Aberdeen was playing that day

Anything but FC Twente. Has to be up there with one of the worst decisions the club has made. Was meant to set up a partnership between the two clubs but nothing has came of it. The game was awful and cost the club more money than it was worth. Sounded like more of a thing for the Twente fans and local Stranraer FC Twente fans than anyone else. 

3 hours ago, BLUEMEN1870 said:

Anything but FC Twente. Has to be up there with one of the worst decisions the club has made. Was meant to set up a partnership between the two clubs but nothing has came of it. The game was awful and cost the club more money than it was worth. Sounded like more of a thing for the Twente fans and local Stranraer FC Twente fans than anyone else. 

Were you expecting top young Dutch players to be sent on loan or something? 

@Moonball @EdinburghBlue

Sorry don't know everyone's user names but Laurence, Brian, George, Colin etc...

If you haven't already, you should listen to The Terrace Podcast talking about last weekend's game. Very complimentary, and very funny. Stranraer v Clyde talk starts at about 1hr04 Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3St4y21jSJBRBnL3EE16rH?si=mF33XllhQrioZzH5XPbL3g&t=3836

8 hours ago, GallowayBlue said:

I said this at the time, baffling that we offered the manager a two year contract.

Not saying he has to go, but found it to be a strange decision and it looks stranger as we slip down the table.

At quarter to five we were in sixth place, a couple of wins against Dumbarton would see us hit on their tails. 

Today was a real hard one to take but, hard to find falt anywhere on the park. 

We’ve got a competitive team on a very low budget. Safety still looks well within our mists, what else can we ask for given our budget, crowds etc? 

5 hours ago, Mattmc said:

At quarter to five we were in sixth place, a couple of wins against Dumbarton would see us hit on their tails. 

We’ve got a competitive team on a very low budget. Safety still looks well within our mists, what else can we ask for given our budget, crowds etc? 

Wasn't there saw scores change at 4.55 5pm was horrible.

After watching highlights how can people online say there was no fight and we were poor in that match. Looked like a stonewall pen that might of put us 2nil up if converted. They threw big sonks up front and it worked for them.

6 hours ago, Mattmc said:

That's all fair, I'm just not sure why they needed to extend his contract at the moment they did.

Hopefully it will work out for the best.

On a separate note is there any reason why Sonkur celebrated so wildly? No issue with it, but was there bad blood when he left?

5 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

That's all fair, I'm just not sure why they needed to extend his contract at the moment they did.

On a separate note is there any reason why Sonkur celebrated so wildly? No issue with it, but was there bad blood when he left?

Not from the fans. We would have kept him. Precisely fir what he did at the end scoring wise. Seemed very odd. Obviously celebrate with the players but ti have a right go if a couple of guys gave u some stick was strange. If he wants stick he'll probably get plenty of that now lol.

Scoring two goals in injury time is always going to spark wild celebrations. I wouldn't read anything more into it.

I've got a real soft spot for Stranraer and I love Scott Agnew - check out his reaction at full time, across shaking hands after an absolute sickening end to the game. Fitba can be horrible at times.

After that amazing Clyde result today we are looking over our shoulders. I hope that sickener last week doesn't spark a poor run or else the bum will start squeaking. Two big home games coming up.

On 18/02/2024 at 09:09, GallowayBlue said:

How the turntables.

We've (pretty much) always had the lowest attendance in the SPFL and presumably one of the lowest budgets, yet have never found ourselves so far down the table.

The acceptance of a pretty poor season is surprising, people wanted Hammill out for seasons similar to this one (including me towards the end).

I'm still not in the manager out camp, but I don't think that low crowds can excuse losing over and over again.

Edited by GallowayBlue

2 hours ago, GallowayBlue said:

We've (pretty much) always had the lowest attendance in the SPFL and presumably one of the lowest budgets, yet have never found ourselves so far down the table.

The acceptance of a pretty poor season is surprising, people wanted Hammill out for seasons similar to this one (including me towards the end).

I'm still not in the manager out camp, but I don't think that low crowds can excuse losing over and over again.

Look back at the 1980s.

The worrying thing is that its generally been the teams with the lowest crowds that have been relegated from the SPFL. And as a members' club we can't just create lots of new shares to entice in someone who fancies running a football club.

The positive thing for me is that this squad is playing far better football than Hamill's did last year. I cannot see them shipping eight as we did to East Fife last year. Defeats have been narrow, and sometimes in games where we were the better team. But we do need to win more games, starting with the next couple of home games. And we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot e.g. with post-match red cards.

22 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Look back at the 1980s.

The worrying thing is that its generally been the teams with the lowest crowds that have been relegated from the SPFL. And as a members' club we can't just create lots of new shares to entice in someone who fancies running a football club.

The positive thing for me is that this squad is playing far better football than Hamill's did last year. I cannot see them shipping eight as we did to East Fife last year. Defeats have been narrow, and sometimes in games where we were the better team. But we do need to win more games, starting with the next couple of home games. And we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot e.g. with post-match red cards.

I should have added the word era after SPFL, but I was really meaning in that timeline. I would imagine in the last 20 years we'll have had the lowest attendance in quite a few of them.

We also have some advantages that others don't. For example we seem to be well placed to take players from Ayrshire and the like, seemingly more so than other clubs and this has served us well over the years.

I hope things turn around as I really don't want to be watching us play B Teams anytime soon.