Motherwell v Killie

Really enjoyed that yesterday.

Thought we thoroughly deserved the 3 points. Killie knocked the ball about ok but never really threatened our goal. Their best chances were at set peices.

VAR really is a joke. I think its time for some serious fan demonstrations to rid us of it. 4 minutes to confirm 2 decisions the referee clearly got right is ridiculous. 

The Goss challenge was right in front of us and was nothing more than a 50/50 and a coming together. Never a red card. And the offside is pretty clear also.

Thought KVV was unplayable yesterday. Some of his first touches were sublime and his nutmeg, I think it was on Ash Taylor, was just ridiculous. If he had scored that it would have taken the roof off the East Stand.

Glad we are finally safe.

All efforts must now focus on getting KVV to the 30 goal mark.

No Motherwell striker has managed that in my lifetime.

Im 54.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I thought this at the game yesterday, so I dug out the Well Again book and checked. It would seem it was a chap named Ogilvie in the 1937/38 season, I don't think St John quite did get 7 in a row according to the book.

On 06/05/2023 at 21:01, deadasdillinger said:

On a random note, the big guy leading the "Motherwell bois" (who must have about 12 pubes between them) gave me a laugh - literally didn't watch a single second of the action. What an oddball.

I sit in the next section over. Everytime he shouts "Hands up" or "keep it going" I am tempted to shout back "YOU'RE NO MA DA!"

There's not been much feedback from Killie fans on here - was this a fairly typical display? Whenever I've seen Killie they've been similar to this with a battling display but a lack of creativity up front and looking to get something from a set piece. It's worked for them before but their deliveries were much poorer than I've seen before. They did improve with the substitutions and started to pass the ball a lot more but we made changes to try to nullify that so it didn't last long. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got enough to pick up enough points to stay up, particularly from their home games.

The one thing I never understood was why they were coming through in such large numbers. I get that you need to get behind yer team but they seemed to think that one away win had transformed them.

29 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The one thing I never understood was why they were coming through in such large numbers. I get that you need to get behind yer team but they seemed to think that one away win had transformed them.

We were the same the season we ended up in the playoffs - taking 1500+ to every away game in the final months despite still being pretty ropy (although there were signs of life there at least)

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Kilmarnock made the mistake that we have done many times by bringing a large crowd, it never ends well.

Same with St Mirren and Dundee Utd at the weekend. 

Glad to see it’s not just us! 😂 

That said, our home crowd was healthy. 

On 07/05/2023 at 11:58, capt_oats said:

Had I seen this tweet, I may not have spent Sunday morning leafing through 'Well again, but it does appear that (according to the book at least) that St. John fired a blank in the middle of his scoring run. 

PXL_20230509_211028016.jpg

The Killie team mentioned in the Wiki page above looks (arguably) worse on paper than what we have now, and was managed by Gary Locke (having just taken over from Allan Johnston) to boot. Yet was three places and ten points above Motherwell in the table. Hmm. 

Edited by Bad Wolf

23 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

There's not been much feedback from Killie fans on here - was this a fairly typical display? Whenever I've seen Killie they've been similar to this with a battling display but a lack of creativity up front and looking to get something from a set piece. It's worked for them before but their deliveries were much poorer than I've seen before. They did improve with the substitutions and started to pass the ball a lot more but we made changes to try to nullify that so it didn't last long. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got enough to pick up enough points to stay up, particularly from their home games.

Typical away display barring last game at St mirren. Concede early then down tools. We have no creativity and no strikers.

As you said we're usually a threat from set pieces, think we've more goals from corners/freekicks than from open play. 

We've put a bit of effort in at home and probably should be at least 6 points better off but we've chucked last minute goals in against yourselves and hearts and the ref/VAR deciding considine playing basketball in the box didn't warrant a penalty.