The Playoffs - Round 1. Jags v Spiders

Fear our heids and legs have gone. We’ve played with minimal spark for a couple of months. Would have given us half a chance if we’d had held onto second and been able to recover a bit. Friday was absolutely mental and it has to have taken even more out of the players than normal. I’m still drained and I didn’t even kick a baw. 

I don’t even know if mixing things up will matter. If we’re going to, I’d like to see Davidson in. Think he’s been very unfortunate to drop out of the team several times. Who knows? Maybe the league being over will free us up, but fear the wounds are still too fresh. 

Regardless, last spring, if someone had told you we were finishing 3rd next season, you’d have automatically assumed they meant League One. A measure of the progress that’s been made. If this is where the season ends, it’s been a helluva ride. If it isn’t, then it’s pretty much guaranteed that something mental will have happened in order to advance. I’ll be buzzing and, very probably, believing again by Tuesday night. 

13 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I saw that the Brechin v Spartans game yesterday went straight to penalties after they were tied after 180 mins,  rather than going to extra time.

Can anyone confirm this rule also  applies to the Premiership play offs?

I believe its extra time then penalties if necessary. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Will QP give a full allocation? 

Can't give them all to Ayr fans. We will have to hold some back for Partick fans. As usual they will be given the covered terracing. Numbers will probably be decided in conjunction with the police and security.  A lot of Dundee fans made complete arses of themselves. Partick almost certainly won't. 

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Will QP give a full allocation? 

Wasn’t shown on the telly but the invasion included a ridiculous number of fannys in their pseudo Union Bears uniform of black shorts and Sports Direct jimmies. Stewards did well at the goals but chucked it at the final whistle. Police were as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I’ve no problem with real fans coming on to hug their players etc. but if your teams just won the league and your first thoughts are to run to the opposition supporters  then it’s not really your team.

The mood is different in the play-offs. Thistle fans could only celebrate qualifying for the next round of games, not quite the buzz of winning the league. And thereafter if we do progress we’ll be away from home for the second league. Besides, it’s Thistle fans. If they did approach us we’d just go down, shake hands and exchange sweeties.

Sorry but I'm really not buying this 'won't be physically  ready' scenario due to the game on Friday. These are fit young guys who if they cannot re-charge the batteries in 4 days should not be considered for selection in the first place.

As regards their mental fitness for the challenge ahead, we'll that's where O.C. should be earning his bread and butter as well as learning from the last outing with Thistle when it comes to tactics and team selection..

14 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Sorry but I'm really not buying this 'won't be physically  ready' scenario due to the game on Friday. These are fit young guys who if they cannot re-charge the batteries in 4 days should not be considered for selection in the first place.

As regards their mental fitness for the challenge ahead, we'll that's where O.C. should be earning his bread and butter as well as learning from the last outing with Thistle when it comes to tactics and team selection..

In contrast to Thistle who have played 7 over 30 in about the last 9 games.

56 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Disagree. These guys have worked from mid-June until May without an extended break and put absolutely everything into it both physically, mentally and emotionally. Unless you’re a robot, it’s going to affect you. Not sure who we could even replace the guys with anyway, as we’re working with a small squad.

It’s simply not realistic to expect an inexperienced squad at this level to come as close as we did to the big prize, shrug our shoulders, flick a switch and be back at 100% in four days. 

It’s don’t think it’s comparable to last season either. I’ll be kind and say that I don’t necessarily think the squad ran themselves into the ground in the way we have, this season. There was also a freshness of a new manager to give us a bounce. If Coyle can get a tune out of the squad in these playoffs, he’s an even better manager than I already think he is. 

4 hours ago, an86 said:

Fear our heids and legs have gone. We’ve played with minimal spark for a couple of months. Would have given us half a chance if we’d had held onto second and been able to recover a bit. Friday was absolutely mental and it has to have taken even more out of the players than normal. I’m still drained and I didn’t even kick a baw. 

I don’t even know if mixing things up will matter. If we’re going to, I’d like to see Davidson in. Think he’s been very unfortunate to drop out of the team several times. Who knows? Maybe the league being over will free us up, but fear the wounds are still too fresh. 

Regardless, last spring, if someone had told you we were finishing 3rd next season, you’d have automatically assumed they meant League One. A measure of the progress that’s been made. If this is where the season ends, it’s been a helluva ride. If it isn’t, then it’s pretty much guaranteed that something mental will have happened in order to advance. I’ll be buzzing and, very probably, believing again by Tuesday night. 

I keep thinking of Airdrie's monumental semi final last year before they met us. They seemed pretty flat against us and we took full advantage. I fear the same could happen to us in that we have already played our "cup final" already and may find it difficult to pick ourselves up physically and mentally. I hope I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I keep thinking of Airdrie's monumental semi final last year before they met us. They seemed pretty flat against us and we took full advantage. I fear the same could happen to us in that we have already played our "cup final" already and may find it difficult to pick ourselves up physically and mentally. I hope I am wrong.

We’ve been pipped at the 26th mile of a marathon and are asking the players to go back and compete for medals at the 10,000 metres four days later. It’s a huge ask. Whatever happens, the players deserve a great reception at the end of it. Been some moments this season that we couldn’t even have imagined a few years ago. Huge progress has been made and whatever happens in the playoffs, happens. Getting home is the next big thing. 

47 minutes ago, an86 said:

We’ve been pipped at the 26th mile of a marathon and are asking the players to go back and compete for medals at the 10,000 metres four days later. It’s a huge ask. Whatever happens, the players deserve a great reception at the end of it. Been some moments this season that we couldn’t even have imagined a few years ago. Huge progress has been made and whatever happens in the playoffs, happens. Getting home is the next big thing. 

I get what you're saying but it sounds like you've already thrown in the towel...

I just really hope that the players don't feel the same way.

When is the game at Ochilview?

I might make an appearance... to scout our opponents. With no dog in the fight, I just need to bring a decent sized ladder and join the Statler and Waldorf lookalikes.

Have I missed something from the dundee game? Yes there was a pitch invasion as almost every title winning fans do in this league and probably most other leagues.  Next time we shall sit in the stands and happy clap. 🙄