Airdrie v Falkirk, 1st leg

17 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

This post will get lost in the thread no doubt as I’m sure there will be so many many comments filing in.

That may seem unbelievable to neutrals and Falkirk fans, but everything about that game was typical of Airdrie this season, and it’s what many of us were saying on here before the game. We are utterly chaotic, and at our best we can absolutely blow away anyone in this division. But the fear of bottling it is always there. At 3 and 4-0 everyone around me was obviously delighted but still quite nervous. The fifth did ease things a bit, but 5-1 brought it back and the red card was very worrying. I said if the free kick went in we’d be really up against it but for once the team proved me wrong and held out. Agent Allan’s red card and the later penalty were absolutely massive by the way. I feel good about a four goal lead, but three goals with Rae suspended still had me nervous.

Other than themighty DA 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Falkirk will probably have to go a bit gung-ho in the return leg trying to reduce the deficit, could be open for more Airdrie goals. That would be fan-bloody-tastic.

But will they do that? McGlynn seems to stick to pointless possession, passing it about the back even when they need a goal. Seen it a few times this season. Falkirk’s players are absolutely capable of pulling it back. Just as Airdrie are capable of imploding again. But I’m not sure I’d back McGlynn to go with the all out attack/direct tactics needed for this. Having said that, he did it for the first half hour in our last trip to TFS and it was very effective.

Posting before catching up on earlier pages.

That was an amazing opening spell and indeed first half for Airdrie. Falkirk appeared to be going for long balls to a front two but this led to Airdrie simply playing through the wide open spaces. Clearly a first goal matters and that was a super strike. It let Airdrie dominate although even I was surprised at the calamitous defending for the second/third goal. Corners have rarely worked for us but to see Gallagher and McGill being outscored by Dycey and ATS , was a delight. 

Even at 5 up I still had that dodgy feeling it could go wrong. Enter Josh Rae to let the Falkirk side back into the match. We've learned from earlier disasters and managed it better. Was delighted to see Jordan help us out and that penalty calmness was a relief. 

Praise to the Falkirk fans who stayed to back their team and the match is not over yet.

Phew! 

Weren’t great in the second half, but managed to get to the point where they were hanging on by their fingernails. The keepers red was soft, but correct. Burrell beat him to the ball & got taken out. Last man, stopping the goal scoring chance meant him going off. Allan’s red was a joke. The keeper was diving out to the loose ball, whilst the striker tried to get get his foot to it. Dangerous, yes but not violent, a stick on yellow. Seemed more like the ref couldn’t wait to even things up. The ultra soft pen at the end just put the tin lid on the tie.

A win by minimum 4 goals required?😂🤣😂 No chance.

13 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Not entirely the same situation but we found ourselves 3-1 down to Forfar and they scored about 15 seconds into the second leg. We somehow went on to win 6-4, although Forfar had 2 if not 3 sent off. Then we went to Alloa in the final and lost 3-0. IIRC we still had big support, especially the Forfar game but 4 is a huge gulf. You’d fancy Airdrie to score on Saturday too! 

Yeah I think a few people may have swerved the second leg if Husband hadn't scored late consolation at Station Park to make it 3-1.

By f**k what a terrible performance that was.

4 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Weren’t great in the second half, but managed to get to the point where they were hanging on by their fingernails. The keepers red was soft, but correct. Burrell beat him to the ball & got taken out. Last man, stopping the goal scoring chance meant him going off. Allan’s red was a joke. The keeper was diving out to the loose ball, whilst the striker tried to get get his foot to it. Dangerous, yes but not violent, a stick on yellow. Seemed more like the ref couldn’t wait to even things up. The ultra soft pen at the end just put the tin lid on the tie.

I mean you’ve just outlined exactly why it was a red card here.

That was mental. Never seen a first half like it, then typical Airdrie in the second half. Will go one of two ways on Saturday - same again, or a long hard slog for 90 minutes. Then we’ll probably shit the bed against Alloa.

Have a good evening Bairns.

4 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Wasn’t a soft penalty - it was absolute stick on.  Agree on both sendings off.  If we hadn’t conceded that last goal I might have had some (no doubt completely misplaced) hope for Saturday.  Now I’m more going along to see just how bad it can get.

26 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Interesting question actually.

Not sure what I would do if Dunfermline were ever in a similar situation but think I'd probably head along in case of the miracle and then leave early for the pub when it doesn't happen.

I didn’t even go to the second leg of the play off at the end of 17/18 when we went into the game 2-0 down to Alloa. You’d need to be mental to as a Falkirk fan to go to this second leg. 

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

By the way, since I assume this is technically a League fixture, and Rae has been sent off at least once this season already, he'll get at least a two match ban. Has he been sent off twice previously or just once? If it's twice he'll get a three match ban and miss both legs of the final too (assuming Falkirk don't come back to win).

He injured himself in the challenge, even if not suspended I think that would have been his last game of the season.

6 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Definite red for Rae, Allan's, need to see it again but probably yellow, but I'm pretty sure you'll change your mind about the Airdrie pen when you see the highlights.

29 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Number of rubberneckers on this and the Falkirk thread is absolutely shameful. 

Thistle fans arent allowed to play Falkirk bingo btw.

Edited by cb_diamond

When I got into the park and saw the team I got the fear.

Never expected it to be quite as shameful as the first half turned out to be though.

Quite possibly the worst 45 minutes I have seen from a Falkirk side in my many, many years of following the Bairns and I have witnessed some shite.

Tiniest silver lining is that Gavin Williamson will never be seen in a Falkirk jersey ever again.

edit : should of course be Ryan Williamson, had a wee meltdown.

Edited by Reggie Perrin