Alloa v Hamilton & Hamilton v Alloa

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

If I can also make a point - that referee has had a shocker at the penalty.

You need to make a genuine attempt at the ball to avoid a red as a goalkeeper. The goalkeeper missed the ball and grabbed Sammon's ankle. Andy Graham was at pains pointing this out to the referee that the ball was three yards away from Sammon. Stonewall red card. 

10v10 would've had a completely different dynamic and while sore - I don't envy anyone playing Airdrie who will be worthy playoff winners.

Only if you are deeming it a clear goalscoring opportunity.

He's very obviously not playing the ball. He grabs Sammon's ankle to pull him down. The reason the ref's not sent him off isnt that he's claiming he tried to play the ball, its that he's not deemed that to be DOGSO. Its a coin flip of a call for me. Can Sammon score from where he is? Unlikely. He's on the bye-line and there's at least one defender on the line. I'm sure you'll say if the keeper doesnt do what he does then Sammon brings the ball back into the pitch a bit and creates an angle to score. Maybe he would. Its a legitimate argument. But I think the ref's decided he isnt scoring from whete he actually is so its not DOGSO. Therefore yellow would be right.

I dont think its as black and white a call as you're implying here. I think I'd have sent him off, but I can see why he didnt.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's very obviously not playing the ball. He grabs Sammon's ankle to pull him down. The reason the ref's not sent him off isnt that he's claiming he tried to play the ball, its that he's not deemed that to be DOGSO. Its a coin flip of a call for me. Can Sammon score from where he is? Unlikely. He's on the bye-line and there's at least one defender on the line. I'm sure you'll say if the keeper doesnt do what he does then Sammon brings the ball back into the pitch a bit and creates an angle to score. Maybe he would. Its a legitimate argument. But I think the ref's decided he isnt scoring from whete he actually is so its not DOGSO. Therefore yellow would be right.

I dont think its as black and white a call as you're implying here. I think I'd have sent him off, but I can see why he didnt.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxFwXSbHk3mfbTjxayJfkLb4rW-l9u-e7B Was this DOGSO?

I'd have backed Sammon scoring past a solitary defender or better setting up Coulson who has noone near him rather than the Montrose man beating the goalkeeper and very likely a sliding defender.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

But I think the ref's decided he isnt scoring from whete he actually is

He (Sammon )was on his face before an Accies player got anywhere near the line it was a CLEAR goal had he stayed up 

I know cos i was there,  the camera may have made the Accies player look closer .

Still 

We would have had EIGHT  yes  8 players out for the Airdrie game

Stanger  Taggart  Durnan Rodden Strachan Robertson King and Church

It ends here,  maybe just as well .

After calming down, watching Brian Rice's emotional interview and reflecting a bit more objectively on yesterday, he is right the sending off and injuries were a killer in a game we were comfortable in.

Still don't think any team should concede 5 goals in 10 minutes, whether down to 10 men or not but accept these really were players on their last legs.

As I have said before he isn't for me as a manager, but hopefully he can prove me wrong by recruiting well in the Summer, in what will probably be the biggest rebuilding exercise at the club since Paul Hartley.

My frustration with Brian Rice wasn't just due to the collapse yesterday but has been building up for some months, that said probably wrong to voice my disappointment so vehemently, need to repurpose my passion as getting too semi-old for that.

In summary, hope next season is a good one for the club.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can’t agree with that. That’s about as clear cut a red as you are likely to see on reflection. Even if Sammon doesn’t score himself, he can cut it back to the Alloa player (Coulson?) who is wide open with nobody near him. 

I went to the game as a neutral and at the time, I thought it was a genuine attempt for the ball. It’s absolutely not though. He makes an attempt for the ball initially, but then just grabs Sammon’s ankle. 

Accies very fortunate. I think Stranger’s first booking is fairly harsh as well. 

14 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I've got the benefit of the replays but it's another example of woeful refereeing. The first attempt is for the ball. The second one is a red.

Yeah fair enough. Didn't think it at the time but the highlights clear it up. 

11 hours ago, d_t_b said:

Any ideas what the comment was that Rankin mentioned in his post match interview? 

Seen it suggested it was the horrendous one that fucking oddball made on twitter the other night but Accies Twitter said it was something said at the game today 

It's just ridiculous if someone's made a comment about his family (as well as that freak on Twitter, if they're not the same person). It also devalues the legitimacy of the scenes in the first half which is also stupid. 

I think we have to credit our manager also as he has actually recruited players that strengthened our core group on a restricted budget. Guys like Stanger, Coulston, Devine and Rodden have been good signings . He has also improved guys like Daniel Church also. 

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxFwXSbHk3mfbTjxayJfkLb4rW-l9u-e7B Was this DOGSO?

I'd have backed Sammon scoring past a solitary defender or better setting up Coulson who has noone near him rather than the Montrose man beating the goalkeeper and very likely a sliding defender.

Yes, very clearly. Not sure what your point is. A striker in a shooting position with just the keeper to beat will always be deemed DOGSO.

I've said I think on balace it should have been red. I am however rationalising why I think he didnt give it, rightly or wrongly and I dont think its because he deemed that a challenge for the ball.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, very clearly. Not sure what your point is. A striker in a shooting position with just the keeper to beat will always be deemed DOGSO.

I've said I think on balace it should have been red. I am however rationalising why I think he didnt give it, rightly or wrongly and I dont think its because he deemed that a challenge for the ball.

My point is a striker with noone to beat is even more DOGSO.

I'm not interested in rationalising - no matter what the ref thought it's objectively wrong. There's 4 officials at the game on Saturday and none of them made the correct assessment. It's worse too because Andy Graham isn't an aggressive guy. He's as calmly as he can be explaining what just happened and the referee is so set in his decision he won't take a moment to think about it.

There are referees who are impossible to have any dialogue with and it absolutely detracts from the game.

Edited by LeodhasXD

11 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

My point is a striker with noone to beat is even more DOGSO.

I'm not interested in rationalising - no matter what the ref thought it's objectively wrong. There's 4 officials at the game on Saturday and none of them made the correct assessment. It's worse too because Andy Graham isn't an aggressive guy. He's as calmly as he can be explaining what just happened and the referee is so set in his decision he won't take a moment to think about it.

There are referees who are impossible to have any dialogue with and it absolutely detracts from the game.

That's a whole different debate.

47 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah fair enough. Didn't think it at the time but the highlights clear it up. 

It's just ridiculous if someone's made a comment about his family (as well as that freak on Twitter, if they're not the same person). It also devalues the legitimacy of the scenes in the first half which is also stupid. 

No idea about yesterday's comment but the twitter one is horrendous.

Not helped by club employees responding saying they would kill fans if the comment was made to them.

Hamilton keeper absolutely should have been off. Once he realised he couldn’t get the ball he swiped Sammon’s leg away and then it’s probably 0-2 and 10v10. 

I see Alloa as our biggest rivals and wasn’t too upset at the result, but you’ve got to say fair fucks to them getting into the playoffs in the first place. Been a decent force for a long time now. 

10 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Excellent commentary. Some classic lines.

Thanks again for providing this service, I certainly appreciate it and I'm sure many others do.

Some further thoughts from the highlights:

I think both yellows for Stanger are spot on. I'm sure he'll learn from that as both were needless and proved very costly.

I think it's a red for the Hamilton keeper at the penalty. @Skyline Drifter has put forward a potential reason why it wasn't and, while I don't agree it wasn't DOGSO (I think Sammon has such an opportunity irrespective of Coulson being there),  maybe that is indeed the ref's thinking.

Brian Rice indeed does have a substantial job on his hands to build a better squad and side than we have had this year, and that has to be the aim. As has been pointed out, the league will likely be just as tough next season. I expect Falkirk to improve, we'll have either Airdrie or Hamilton and of course QotS and Cove Rangers among others.

We'll likely lose Stanger and possibly Church IMO to full time clubs, Hogarth will go back to Rangers (although there might be a chance we can get him back, which would be good). I expect Miller will get a full time deal after leaving Rangers

We also have a handfull of stalwarts who are not getting any younger (Andy, Robbo, Kev and Sammo) and while I expect, and hope, all of these will be at the club next season, we do need to make an effort to bring in younger genuine challengers for their positions who can replace them in the next season or two.

Also, @LeodhasXD any chance of putting up the mutual applause between the Alloa fans and players, if it was captured on film?

3 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Alloa fans, what are your thoughts on Hamilton? Any areas of concern or weakness in their team? 

How can you see us fairing? 

I think it will be a competitive final either side could win. Before yesterday's game I would have said Hamilton's lack of goal power made Airdrie clear favourites, but their confidence in that area will have improved after banging in five against us.

Don't always agree with Leon, sure he doesn't agree with me often either, but the quality of highlights is as good or better than other teams in our league and indeed most of the ones I have seen from the Championship. 

1 minute ago, Magic Hat said:

Don't always agree with Leon, sure he doesn't agree with me often either, but the quality of highlights is as good or better than other teams in our league and indeed most of the ones I have seen from the Championship. 

Appreciate it. That's the goal - it helps doing the stream which has made a solid 5 figure income for the club this season.

And thanks to @KierenAAFCwho is a far better commentator than I am - it helps immensely to have someone to talk to and keep you right 😂

8 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Appreciate it. That's the goal - it helps doing the stream which has made a solid 5 figure income for the club this season.

And thanks to @KierenAAFCwho is a far better commentator than I am - it helps immensely to have someone to talk to and keep you right 😂

Would echo printer and Magic Hat, the coverage is top class. I often find myself hanging on for midnight to watch the highlights and the streams are always fantastic. Really good to hear it's turning a nice profit too. Big thanks to yourself and Kieren. 

As a fairly neutral observer, I thought the first Stanger yellow was soft and while I understand the point SD is making, I would say it should have been red for the keeper.

Always thought that the Alloa tv coverage and commentary is absolutely excellent. 

34 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

As a fairly neutral observer, I thought the first Stanger yellow was soft and while I understand the point SD is making, I would say it should have been red for the keeper.

Always thought that the Alloa tv coverage and commentary is absolutely excellent. 

Just so we're clear for the 3rd time, I think it should have been red too, I just dont think the reason it wasnt is because the ref thought the keeper was going for the ball.