EFL Playoffs 2023

Think we usually have a separate thread for this.

Championship

Sunderland vs Luton

Coventry vs Middlesbrough

League One

Peterborough vs Sheffield Wednesday

Bolton vs Barnsley

League Two

Salford vs Stockport

Bradford vs Carlisle

Would like to see the Villa players get promoted with Boro but would settle for Sunderland going up. Worry that Coventry would raise their game against us like Wolves always do and we never ever win at Luton so f**k them.

Don't really mind who goes up from League One and Anyone But Salford in League Two, please.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Sometimes the Championship play-offs have a clearly outstanding team, but I don't think that's the case this season - I can see a plausible route for all four teams. 

Boro v Coventry will be an especially interesting semi-final, I think. Boro have the better and deeper collective squad, but Coventry have a great manager and two comfortably Premier League level players in Hamer and Gyokeres. 

Good Scottish representation in the Championship ones with Hackney, Stewart and Campbell. I know Coventry have one or two, too, but no idea how good they are. 

I'm sure they'll follow the same pattern as the others: boring first leg, nonsense second leg and crap final. The second legs are always worth it though. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Good Scottish representation in the Championship ones with Hackney, Stewart and Campbell. I know Coventry have one or two, too, but no idea how good they are. 

I'm sure they'll follow the same pattern as the others: boring first leg, nonsense second leg and crap final. The second legs are always worth it though. 

Coventry - messrs Kelly ( see above ) and Rose

Really pleased to see Liam Kelly back and playing for Coventry at this level. I think he could have been a proper top end Championship player with a similar career to Craig Bryson if it hadn't been for the injuries.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Really pleased to see Liam Kelly back and playing for Coventry at this level. I think he could have been a proper top end Championship player with a similar career to Craig Bryson if it hadn't been for the injuries.

Didn't help that he signed for Bristol City, then Derek McInnes who signed him got his books a week later. Might have worked out differently there if he had been coming back from injury under a manager who rated him.

On 09/05/2023 at 00:25, accies1874 said:

I'm still not 100% sure Hackney will commit to the Scotland senior team in the short term but would love to be proven wrong.

Campbell is good but it's an area we are very strong in so he looks more of a squad player now.

If Stewart* can continue his meteoric rise and become a PL quality striker getting regular goals that would be huge for us, especially as it looks the (capable and talented) Che Adams will be dropping down to the championship.

Neither of the Coventry look like they will be international class although Rose still young enough to develop into one.

*This also applies to everyones favourite weapon McBurnie.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Watching Coventry v Middlesborough.

The co-commentator has just said that you can't win a play off tie in the first leg but you can certainly lose it.

An utterly ridiculous statement. If one team can lose it then by definition the other side have won it. 

I thought the same. Try telling Airdrie or Annan that you can't win a play off tie in the first leg (or first half in Airdrie's case).