How did this season match with your expectations?

14 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

You had an injury crisis, not a manager problem.

Some way into the injury crisis, for that is what it was, there were those positing that it should be disregarded as relevant. I must admit. I had great fun in nudging them towards truth.

As for this season, I expected play offs but I accepted in the circumstance why that wasn't to be and I now feel inconvenienced that there is such a gap until attending the season show piece cup final.

Caley Thistle in the Scottish Cup Final ......    again!

happy d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

7 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Absolute horseshit.

I actually wrote a load more, but have now just come back to delete it. I just can't be arsed contesting your totally unproven, delusional roasting any longer.

Check the Morton Forum thread "Dundee vs Morton (15th April)" page 6, EanieMeanie's replies to SassenachTon and TRVMP.  I read this from a Darragh O’Connor article, then the above posts confirm it was said to all the players, though you'll need to get off your arse and research a bit more to find the articles. As it happens I disagree with Dougie telling the players this, but still posted what I read in the article.

As for the Club not being ready for promotion, I called a theory because, unlike the above, I saw no confirmation of this, I just heard it from a lot of sources, excluding taxi drivers. Again, although I've posted this, I disagree with it and don't understand it. I think if we find ourselves with a chance of promotion we should take it and get ready for the step up on and off the pitch, regardless of whether it's unexpected or not.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

It is possible to have both.

Yes, but the two issues are not equal. The injury crisis was a far bigger issue than Billy Dodds this season.

I expected the play-offs, hoped for second, ultimately we got neither which under the circumstances wasn’t surprising. October onwards the season wasn’t enjoyable, fielding squad players and struggling all the while knowing we’d probably win if it wasn’t for having so many injuries. The points gap was just too big to recover from.

It all comes down to recruitment and retaining players next season which should be aided by the cup final money.

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

populated primarily by Caley fans with virtually no input from other clubs fans. 

Aye, right enough. I contributed once, but was rewarded with dogs abuse just for being a Morton supporter. Never again. Even the occasional Dees fan exhibits a sense of humour, respect for other clubs, and basic humility. We're fitba supporters who should be putting 'the beautiful game' above all else.

Pre season I had us down for around 5th or 6th however after the league cup I was silently thinking we’d absolutely fucked it in the summer and we’d be doing well to avoid relegation with a change of manager on the cards. 

Instead we started the league really well and looked like credible title challengers until around October when Musonda got injured followed closely by Kirk. We couldn’t continue playing the way we had been without those two so we faltered for a while and could only beat the dross like Cove and Accies. The fact we finished six points off the title despite that run is absolutely mental and frustrating as for me there were countless draws that should easily have been wins that would have seen us done it. Alas it’s still be a mad rollercoaster and to finish second is really good going and even if we don’t go up we’ll have a good basis for next season. 

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Pre season I had us down for around 5th or 6th however after the league cup I was silently thinking we’d absolutely fucked it in the summer and we’d be doing well to avoid relegation with a change of manager on the cards. 

Instead we started the league really well and looked like credible title challengers until around October when Musonda got injured followed closely by Kirk. We couldn’t continue playing the way we had been without those two so we faltered for a while and could only beat the dross like Cove and Accies. The fact we finished six points off the title despite that run is absolutely mental and frustrating as for me there were countless draws that should easily have been wins that would have seen us done it. Alas it’s still be a mad rollercoaster and to finish second is really good going and even if we don’t go up we’ll have a good basis for next season. 

Agreed, 100%. I thought (even as a Ton supporter but as a a Girvan lad and therefore one who should techically be an Honest Men supporter) that you'd go all the way. Your point regarding draws etc. applies to many clubs, especially ourselves - if we hadn't conceded a 92-minute 3-3 to Dees, we'd have been 3-2 away and in the playoffs. My opinion is that Ayr have had a solid but frustrating season  - just like us. And your Dipo is stellar. Somerset Park is still my 2nd favourite old-school away day (with only Gayfield being better). Good banter with proper fitba supporters in the pub before & after the game, good pies, good atmosphere, a lovely wee ground - everything an away day should be. I'd have missed you if you were gone. All the best for 2023-2024.

Edited by Chippyminton

8 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

Yes, but the two issues are not equal. The injury crisis was a far bigger issue than Billy Dodds this season.

I expected the play-offs, hoped for second, ultimately we got neither which under the circumstances wasn’t surprising. October onwards the season wasn’t enjoyable, fielding squad players and struggling all the while knowing we’d probably win if it wasn’t for having so many injuries. The points gap was just too big to recover from.

It all comes down to recruitment and retaining players next season which should be aided by the cup final money.

Surely you just mean October to Jan/Feb. From then you had the cup run and the best form in the league. Don’t know what happened in the last game v Ayr, but if you had won that, you were going into the playoffs as the form team, just like last season.

9 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Agreed, 100%. I thought (even as a Ton supporter but as a a Girvan lad and therefore one who should techically be an Honest Men supporter) that you'd go all the way. Your point regarding draws etc. applies to many clubs, especially ourselves - if we hadn't conceded a 92-minute 3-3 to Dees, we'd have been 3-2 away and in the playoffs. My opinion is that Ayr have had a solid but frustrating season  - just like us. And your Dipo is stellar. Somerset Park is still my 2nd favourite old-school away day (with only Gayfield being better). Good banter with proper fitba supporters in the pub before & after the game, good pies, good atmosphere, a lovely wee ground - everything an away day should be. I'd have missed you if you were gone. All the best for 2023-2024.

The old Kings Arms now gone but memories of some good nights with some Maidens fisherman and Peter McCoy giving us Gloria on the guitar, happy days.

12 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Check the Morton Forum thread "Dundee vs Morton (15th April)" page 6, EanieMeanie's replies to SassenachTon and TRVMP.  I read this from a Darragh O’Connor article, then the above posts confirm it was said to all the players, though you'll need to get off your arse and research a bit more to find the articles. As it happens I disagree with Dougie telling the players this, but still posted what I read in the article.

As for the Club not being ready for promotion, I called a theory because, unlike the above, I saw no confirmation of this, I just heard it from a lot of sources, excluding taxi drivers. Again, although I've posted this, I disagree with it and don't understand it. I think if we find ourselves with a chance of promotion we should take it and get ready for the step up on and off the pitch, regardless of whether it's unexpected or not.

Suggest you listen to the recent BBC sounds podcast with Dougie  which confirms the target was absolutely the playoffs inside the dressing room.

Dougie admits he down played that target with the media to keep the pressure off but top 4 was the aim which makes complete sense with where we were at Xmas.

Our season was pretty mediocre. Think the most enjoyable period was the cup week where we beat Dundee up at Dens in the diddy cup semi final on a Tuesday night followed up with a 3-1 win at home against Motherwell in the Scottish Cup on the Saturday. Was good to see us score a couple worldies as well in other games. Apart from that though, a fairly unmemorable season for me. 

We went back up when we were expected to do so. Looking back at some of the games over the course of the season we went up despite trying to shoot ourselves in the foot so many times. Some really poor performances, Cove away, Arbroath at home and pretty much every Morton game. 

Bowyer at times seemed desperate to just change things for changes sake. Especially after finding a winning formula in December. I go between thinking that he made us hard to beat with an impressive goal difference which are good qualities to have in the league above and also thinking we set up to be really fucking uninspiring sometimes. 

Probably absolutely bang on in the league. Never really in the promotion fight but, crucially, never threatened with relegation. After the mess weren't through that's as good as it was going to get. 

The League Cup saw a total bottling of a great opportunity to progress out the groups, but a Scottish Cup QF and the final of the Challenge Cup exceeded expectations. Our best moments of the season came in those competitions. Notionally a success overall in footballing terms, then but my word it was turgid given our league showing. 

The real success this season was putting an end of John Sim's grip on the football club and removing him from the day-to-day. Hopefully we can now start looking forwards. 

From a Thistle perspective, disappointed with the bald fact of finishing fourth again, especially with an experienced squad.

McCall was found out and it has been great to see how Doolan has taken to the role, foisted upon him, especially with personal matters, no doubt preying on his mind.

We were wildly inconsistent under McCall, apart from the six or was it seven game losing streak. There were injury injuries, but even turning a few of those defeats into draws could have put a different complexion on the end of the season.

Was a worry in terms of the playoffs finishing fourth. However, we got two easy victories vs The Larbert Galacticos. 

Their implosion has been peak Cinch and they have been a great addition, but hopefully they are relegated next season.

TL;DR Not great league finish but a good chance of getting to the final playoff match-up vs Team 11, in the Premiership.

On 15/05/2023 at 09:55, madton said:

Suggest you listen to the recent BBC sounds podcast with Dougie  which confirms the target was absolutely the playoffs inside the dressing room.

Dougie admits he down played that target with the media to keep the pressure off but top 4 was the aim which makes complete sense with where we were at Xmas.

Darragh gave the impression in the article that Dougie just said that to him rather than the full squad, even so I was surprised as it doesn't seem like his style of management.

On the subject of being ready for promotion, I contacted the board via MCT as I thought it was important to get clarification. I'm happy to say the reply was that, had we been promoted this season, the club would have been able to do any necessary work over summer to play in the top flight. In addition they said we would all love to see Morton in the Premiership and that is very much what the club are striving towards.

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

From a Thistle perspective, disappointed with the bald fact of finishing fourth again, especially with an experienced squad.

McCall was found out and it has been great to see how Doolan has taken to the role, foisted upon him, especially with personal matters, no doubt preying on his mind.

We were wildly inconsistent under McCall, apart from the six or was it seven game losing streak. There were injury injuries, but even turning a few of those defeats into draws could have put a different complexion on the end of the season.

Was a worry in terms of the playoffs finishing fourth. However, we got two easy victories vs The Larbert Galacticos. 

Their implosion has been peak Cinch and they have been a great addition, but hopefully they are relegated next season.

TL;DR Not great league finish but a good chance of getting to the final playoff match-up vs Team 11, in the Premiership.

No team finishing 4th in the playoffs have gone on to be promoted I believe? 

Thistle have a great chance in doing that as I've been impressed with them any time I've seen them this season. Could easily put any of the teams currently in bottom 3 to the sword.

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

On the subject of being ready for promotion, I contacted the board via MCT as I thought it was important to get clarification. I'm happy to say the reply was that, had we been promoted this season, the club would have been able to do any necessary work over summer to play in the top flight. In addition they said we would all love to see Morton in the Premiership and that is very much what the club are striving towards.

In house footage of the GMFC board pretending to field your utter pish.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

No team finishing 4th in the playoffs have gone on to be promoted I believe? 

Thistle have a great chance in doing that as I've been impressed with them any time I've seen them this season. Could easily put any of the teams currently in bottom 3 to the sword.

As far as I know, no 4th placed team has got past the first playoff tie.

14 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

As far as I know, no 4th placed team has got past the first playoff tie.

Partick Thistle managed this last week...

14 hours ago, virginton said:

In house footage of the GMFC board pretending to field your utter pish.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

Make up your mind! You were unhappy with the "taxi driver" theories, and now it checks out they were unfounded, you're saying the board member, now you're saying he just fobbed me off by saying what I wanted to hear?